• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Women’s World Cup 2021

James

Out There
Instructor
Yeah, that was rough. It seemed like you had to go through a very rough top, then still faced with the long rhythmic section. Seemed no relaxing till the very end. Could hear it in the skis. Gisin was on the podium till a very late error. She looked good.

GS Tomorrow (Tuesday)...
View attachment 122165

Bassino
Worley
Gut-Berhrami

Gisin
Vlhova

Maybe if I don’t pick Shiffrin she’ll win :huh:
Got a feeling Holdener is going to find some magic soon too.
Dude, all three againJust a different order.
Worley
Bassino
Shiffrin

Gisin
Gut
Brignone
Nailed it if we remove Shiffrin, and Gisin didn’t have a lapse.

TS
4ster

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Worley's turns in this GS were just sublime... her pressure management via her turn transitions were key in my view.
When she’s on, she is still amazing!!!
Gut-Berhrami is skiing great lately too.
So bummed for Gisin, she is on fire. Would have brought it closer for the overall. tough battle, more like we see for the men.
Bassino, nice 2nd run but not Miss GS yet.
Hrovat showing last race was no fluke, hope she can score another podium soon

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
Worley's turns in this GS were just sublime... her pressure management via her turn transitions were key in my view.
Maybe it’s those skis with the large bar hold down. (Kidding) They were available to average folk for $2,600. Afaik, she’s the only one that uses them. Which is really odd.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Quick deterioration in 1st of surface that looked solid and tricky set became quite a challenge. Some who looked good (ok) on KG: steep hockey rink couldn’t handle this. I guess that’s the beauty of it.

Edit: 2:nd brutal surface in last pitch. Very demanding. Frama til the very end.
No kidding! What's with that? Looked miserable.

The bronco riders carried the day. Anyone hoping to capitalize on precision and touch was going to be disappointed, although as Noodler pointed out, Worley had those as well as the cowboy thing going.

I liked how Marta rallied in the second run, even through the middle section of the hill where - on both runs - so many skiers seemed to lose major time. She's not exactly a bruiser.

James

Out There
Instructor
Lol, was just posting that!
She was one if the very few who skied the steep part as well as the top. Looked like she was on a different course she was so much smoother.

Ivan

Out on the slopes
Skier
Maybe it’s those skis with the large bar hold down. (Kidding) They were available to average folk for $2,600. Afaik, she’s the only one that uses them. Which is really odd.
I believe Vlhova also uses this super-duper piston system (can be seen in the video here). I don't think anyone else uses it on the women's circuit, and I haven't seen it this season on the men's circuit at all.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
Some of men used it some 5 or so years ago when it came out, but never really came to life. After few races, noone was using it anymore, except for Worley, who still uses it nowadays. I saw Vlhova on race or two using it, but it was really just race or two, not regularly.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
I believe Vlhova also uses this super-duper piston system (can be seen in the video here). I don't think anyone else uses it on the women's circuit, and I haven't seen it this season on the men's circuit at all.

Seeing systems like this on these skis makes me wonder why we've never seen anything like the system on the Anton Gliders come to the race skis. Maybe it's due to patents or something. I've never actually ridden the Anton Gliders, but their claim-to-fame is their supreme ability to "hug the road". Their suspension system is supposed to be beyond belief. It certainly was something I was thinking about with the snow conditions and course set they were dealing with yesterday.

James

Out There
Instructor
Hopefully active suspensions will continue to be banned.
Possibly the reason you don’t see suspension system skis is they don’t sell them to the public, so it’s not good advertising for selling skis.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Hopefully active suspensions will continue to be banned.
Possibly the reason you don’t see suspension system skis is they don’t sell them to the public, so it’s not good advertising for selling skis.

I see, so these types of systems that use an active suspension are illegal. That makes sense.

James

Out There
Instructor
@Primoz , have you been to Kronplatz?
How does the pitch compare to the steep part of other venues?
Interesting that they were using straight ski poles. Speeds lower, or little time to tuck?

I see, so these types of systems that use an active suspension are illegal. That makes sense.
I was thinking more of active = electromechanical. It would not be that hard to make a suspension that acts differently with edge angle, use of active variable sidecuts, etc. Whether it’s better is another matter, but eventually someone will figure something out.

The rule is pretty vague. One could argue that the Rossi system violates it with energy storage in a piston, and “mechanical aid”. Same with Marker plate. But I guess not.

I would think the AntonGlider suspension would be “mechanical aid”, and not allowed.
2018/9 version-
BC4A34FA-9DE8-4B7F-BBE8-733A8DF26FE9.jpeg

Last edited:

S.H.

USSA Coach
Skier
Gisin not on the start list for the first training run in Garmisch. If she's not racing there (maybe she made an announcement, idk), could be the end of her chances in the overall unless Vlhova has a DNF or two in tech races...

James

Out There
Instructor
Anyone see Gisin in the NBC broadcast before the start standing and visualizing? It wasn’t the usual slow hand tip and arm movements with eyes closed. Instead she was throwing her arms side to side quite quickly and far. Interesting.
If you do replay, it’s near the beginning of the broadcast with Porino/Schlanger where they just show the second run and a few top first ones.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
@Primoz , have you been to Kronplatz?
How does the pitch compare to the steep part of other venues?
I have never been in Kronplatz in winter, as it was always some other race that I have covered during same time, so I have no idea how race course is. I'm around those places in summer almost every year, but going up and down there with mtb doesn't really mean much :) So honestly I have absolutely no idea about that course, other then that what I saw on tv, and tv is hard to get some proper conclusions as it really depends on how cameras are set etc.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
Garmish DH cancelled. Yesterday training was cancelled, and so was today's so there's no chance for DH. It's warm and wet, so obviously there's no chance for some changed program with early morning training run, and later start with short DH. For now, plan is to have 2 SG races. We will see how that will go.

Sponsor

Staff online