• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Women’s World Cup 2021

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
All I can say is that setup used by Doug Lewis would not be fun if he crashed.
Do you know what the rig was like? Even in the early 2000's there were nice small camcorders... but I don't know if that would have worked for TV broadcast. Did he have a larger TV cam mounted behind him?

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah, a small camera wouldn't be ideal. This camera used by Lewis had some kind of self-stabilizing gimbal that kept the aim very consistent. At one point you can see the shadow cast by the outfit Lewis used. It wasn't a big camera but the stabilization gimbal was definitely a good one.

For many years Hans Knauss did POV camera work for ORF (Austrian TV) and EuroSport and used a handheld HD camera with heavy duty image stabilization (his POV videos are the best, with awesome in-the-moment narration - many are on YouTube). Since 2015 or so the GoPro has taken over, either via chest mount or the experimental 360° setup that Bode skied with once on Birds of Prey.

EDIT: there's also a 360° interactive POV run on the Streif with Daron Rahlves doing the skiing out on the interwebs.

Last edited:

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
That fall-away before the Bear Trap jump is one of many sidehills that were injected on the Grizzly course - and one area where the "powder tune" had local volunteers sliding down toward the A-netting. And to wit: injected snow is quite pliable as long as you use good technique and have properly tuned edges. It's more pliable and more consistent than solid sub-zero ice, which is why it's loved at the World Cup level.

And some women's venues inject - including Killington. It's just that it's not as ubiquitous on the women's World Cup tour than it is on the men's tour.

Was thinking "...now you ride, huff, puff, in hyper space.....60, 70, 80, 90 miles an hour..." on that last pitch to the finish.

And "...setting up for Three Toes. A long, long, long, long turn." That's long enough to say long 4 long times.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Surprising to me Vhlova, Bassino, and Brignone a non-factor in the GS. I know they haven't peaked during the World Championships but still.
I think it was in the GS that Brignone had a really great "let it all hang out" run going. Then she skied out. She was so mad at herself. Anyway I was pretty impressed by her skiing there.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah, the first pitch on the slalom was insanely steep. Extremely humbling to watch those women attack it.

hbear

Out on the slopes
Skier
Sounds like Petra had decent crash when training at Jasna. Reporting says she fell and hit her face (bleeding nose) but otherwise ok, but heard unconfirmed news it might be a bit more than a minor scuff. Certainly wouldn’t expect full disclosure at this point in the race for the overall.

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
One of the local heroes in Val di Fassa in this clip. Has hosted Jr World Champ's but this is a first for the World Cup (replacing China w DH and SG). First race starts in 45 minutes or so.

hbear

Out on the slopes
Skier
Going to be an exciting finish for the overall. Looks like Gut is keeping her form fron World Champs (wasn't sure if she would or have a lull after it) which will certainly apply some pressure to Petra.
Hopefully Petra isn't completly gassed and can make a run herself....some challange given how well Leinsberger is skiing SL so Vholva isn't exactly a lock to win the upcoming SL races.

Teppaz

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
SL definitely not a lock for Vlhova, while Gut is a podium threat in GS, SG and DH. She has just surged to the top of the overall and I think she’s going to stay there.

TS
4ster

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Let’s see if Gut-Berhrami can widen the gap...
126356BC-ABE1-4CF5-84BC-65A1561E69BB.jpeg

Gut-Berhrami
Johnson
Lie

Suter
Siebenhoffer

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Here:

Fixed that for ya :ogbiggrin:
I saw something once saying if a car crossed the start line at 100mph and a top fuel dragster or funny car started as that car passed the line the 100mph car would still lose the race by some insane amount of distance over the 1/4 mile. 300+ gets you there quickly!

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Going to be an exciting finish for the overall. Looks like Gut is keeping her form fron World Champs (wasn't sure if she would or have a lull after it) which will certainly apply some pressure to Petra.
Hopefully Petra isn't completly gassed and can make a run herself....some challange given how well Leinsberger is skiing SL so Vholva isn't exactly a lock to win the upcoming SL races.

I wrote this last night but never hit "send". No change in thinking on my part, Gut-B doing what she needs to, PV skiing today about as I expected. On the men's side, Pintu did "add" to his lead....by a whopping 5 points. Good day for Odermatt, right on his heels.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I agree, this should be very interesting. I like pondering this stuff at this time of year, particularly in these COVID times.

In fact, we should have a better handle on things in a couple of days. Not saying that Gut-B is going to win both the next DH and the SG, but I would look for maybe one win and one podium. She is skiing SO well, and has historically skied her best at this time of the year. Plus this one's in Italy, which is essentially home.

So today, Gut-B got the winner's 100 points. PV was tied for 9th, 29 points. 71 point advantage for LG-B. It's hard to get a handle on what to expect from PV. She's had a two DH results over 25th, and a 4th and 7th, then today. SG? Better, one 2nd, a 6th, a 9th and a 10th.

LG-B just looks to be in the zone and very happy. NO stress. Let's assume that she piles up points in these two remaining speed races {before the two at WC Finals.} If she is to win the overall, she MUST "kill this weekend." She's up by 29 points. I think she could possibly come out of this weekend with a 150 point lead. Not easy.

Then we have, before WC Finals, a GS and a SL at Jasna. PV will at least podium in the SL{barring disaster}, has a good chance to win, and once again L G-B must put points on her in the GS {Because LG-B is not racing SL.} If everything goes well for both, there will still be a lead for L G-B, but something more like 50, 60, 70 points?

That lead should vanish at Are, with the two SL's, if PV is remotely dialed in. Does not need to be her best. If she IS back to her "best form", the overall race swings back to her, with let's say at least a 100 point lead. Could be a LOT more.

Then we go to WCF's. PV will have to race all four events. G-B will race three. For this to end up with her winning, G-B will need to be on the podium in the DH and SG, IMO.....and darn close in the GS. PV will need to be pretty mediocre {for her} in the speed, hold her own in the GS. My hunch is that we go into the final event {the GS} with PV having a good lead. I dunno......again 50, 60, 70 points. If PV really kills it in the SL, she may be leading going into the GS by more that 100 points.....checkmate, globe secured before the final GS. Game over.

I think that PV is close to GASSED. I don't think there is a question about it. She needs to hold it together over 10 more race starts, the last on 3/21. Just over three weeks. And she needs to perform, and keep adding points. No DNF's. Her last tech DNF was at Levi in fall 2019. Extreme rarity. But, I'll bet that she is on fumes, or close. Her coach previously worked with Maze, and pretty much ended her career doing the same program. Let's hope that PV is more fit and in a better position.

If L G-B can pull this off, that's a BIG upset to my thinking. I think the big overall favorite still has to be PV. BIG.

Going to be REALLY interesting to watch. Let's hope they both stay healthy and ski well. Fun to see a race for the globe like this in an otherwise weird year.

On the men's side. As they get ready for 2 GS's this weekend in Bansko, Pintu has a 225 point lead over Odermatt. If Pintu skis well and adds to that margin by a decent amount, I think it's going to be enough of a lead for him to maintain and make it very hard, if not impossible for Odermatt. If Odermatt eats into that lead, it gets VERY interesting.

Nice to see NOT all locked up. Sold be fun to watch and follow!

Edit.....nowit's nine race starts for PV......

hbear

Out on the slopes
Skier
Another win for LGB in DH. Having a great weekend so far and doin what she needs to do.

On the Canadian side, nice to see Gagnon with a coupe top 10s.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Another win for LGB in DH. Having a great weekend so far and doin what she needs to do.

On the Canadian side, nice to see Gagnon with a coupe top 10s.

LGB absolutely "executing", and also evidently having fun. Lots of smiles, grins and what looks to me to be real confidence. Saw where she said a triple win this weekend would be great, but difficult. Would not put it past her. Meanwhile PV's body language at the finish did not look great to me, which is interesting. Finishing 12th and picking up 22 points is surely not "bad" for the best SL skier {or one of the three best} on the planet these days. Will be VERY interesting. Next stop is Jasna, which is home for PV. The GS is half the day before the SL. If there were the normal group of fans, this could be very different. I have this thinking that if Gut podiums tomorrow, and in the GS, or wins one and podiums in the other, she could seriously be getting into PV's head. The SL at Jasna is going to be huge for PV.

I agree, really nice to see Mitch Gagnon with the two top 10's. Hopefully she'll have a good race tomorrow in the SG. Have watched Mitch since she was a young teen, as she and our daughter are the same age, raced Eastern US/Can FIS, etc. Mitch was a serious prodigy. Very fast, early on. And fast at everything. I think that CAST pushed her SL very early, thinking that she could make her WC mark there quickly, and soon there after in GS. Seems like they abandoned SG and pretty much DH other than in combineds. Mitch is almost 32. I am glad to see her skiing today, but wish she had been focused in this direction years ago. Mitch has had a long WC career, starting 13 years ago. I think she has had two 3rd's as her best results in SL. The last one maybe 5-6 seasons ago? In GS, I think she may have had 2-3 top 5's. No podiums. I hear a lot of coaches who have worked with her for many years talk of what she could have been as a speed skier....Not that nailing top 10's ia anything to sneeze at. But she really started her DH, seriously in the past couple of years. SG has been similar. I think the equipment and setup change to Head once she was all in on speed has helped. Ans who knows...maybe her long time BF, Travis Ganong is helpful?

Nice continued progress by the USST's Bella Wright. Great kid, lots of potential, and more to come, I believe. Great to see.

And I LOVE Breezy Johnson. She has some stuff in her DNA that you can't teach or coach. She is fearless, strong as hell, is great on her skis, and she just "sends it." She is very, very similar in that respect to a younger LV. And similar to Goggia. I think we're going to see her on a LOT of WC podiums and in the hunt for the globe for years to come. Breezy just turned 25. SO many years left in the tank.

Fun watching today's racing.....

Sponsor