• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Want To Buy Womens/girls skis

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
@Philpug

Considering the mx70s.

To get an idea of my daughters skiing she runs gates non-competitively in a development program.

@Dave Petersen has seen her ski and could attest to her skiing ability or lack there of if it would be of value.

Both kids are good!

TS
N

Nelliefj40

Putting on skis
Skier
:huh:

My concern is do they have the weight be bend em. But if the price is right, grab them, and feed them some carbs.

Sorry for so many question but legitimately appreciate your help. Curious at what weight (approx) you wouldn't be concerned?

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Sorry for so many question but legitimately appreciate your help. Curious at what weight (approx) you wouldn't be concerned?
To make a ski work well, the skier needs to be able to bend them when they initiate the turn.
Movements to ski,
Flex into the boot
The tip initiates
The ski bends and comes around to complete the turn.

Some of this is affected by weight and some by skill and power.
I've seen skilled women who can bend a ski better than a 200lb man with lesser skill but more weight.

Last edited:
TS
N

Nelliefj40

Putting on skis
Skier
To make a ski work well, the skier needs to be able to bend them when they initiate the turn.
Movements to ski,
Flex into the boot
The tip initiates
The ski bends and comes around to complete the turn.

Thank you Tricia.

Philpug's specific concern related to her weight and an in/ability to bend them.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Thank you Tricia.

Philpug's specific concern related to her weight and an in/ability to bend them.
Sorry I must have been editing my post when you were replying.
There are several factors in bending a ski. Weight is one of them, skill is another.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
120 ish. A big difference going from a 145 kids SL to a 152 adult Kastle .. thats why there are junior and adult 150 SL's.

FlimFlamvanHam

Putting on skis
Skier
@Nelliefj40, my daughter just turned 14 and is currently 116lbs. She's 5'4". Solid skier but not a racer. That age and weight are a bit tough as jr skis are almost always too short and/or too soft and sr skis too stiff.

Stupidest move I made was putting her on Head Kore Jr's which are really just Kore 87's in shorter lengths. Really cool freeride shape but so. stupid. stiff. But she skied them for a season. Anyway, I really wanted her on a more compliant ski so she's been on Salomon Stance 88's for all of last season and the 161 to boot. Shovels and tails are much softer than the Kore. I've been feeding her steak and donuts and yelling at her when she doesn't keep up to me so figure she'll be bending them hard in no time. She'll get a few seasons out of them.

If I had to do it all over I'd find a K2 Mindbender 85 (no metal in it; light; easy flex; cheap new and used). Or even the Mindbender 88 if she's a little ripper. It's flex is almost identical in all aspects to the Stance 88 but, unlike the Stance, can usually be found on sale more readily new or used. The Mindbender is also not as straight as the Stance. Both the 85 and 88 are a soft flexing (shovels and tails) ski that I believe is ideal for tweens looking for an all mountain ski.

TS
N

Nelliefj40

Putting on skis
Skier
@Nelliefj40, my daughter just turned 14 and is currently 116lbs. She's 5'4". Solid skier but not a racer. That age and weight are a bit tough as jr skis are almost always too short and/or too soft and sr skis too stiff.

Stupidest move I made was putting her on Head Kore Jr's which are really just Kore 87's in shorter lengths. Really cool freeride shape but so. stupid. stiff. But she skied them for a season. Anyway, I really wanted her on a more compliant ski so she's been on Salomon Stance 88's for all of last season and the 161 to boot. Shovels and tails are much softer than the Kore. I've been feeding her steak and donuts and yelling at her when she doesn't keep up to me so figure she'll be bending them hard in no time. She'll get a few seasons out of them.

If I had to do it all over I'd find a K2 Mindbender 85 (no metal in it; light; easy flex; cheap new and used). Or even the Mindbender 88 if she's a little ripper. It's flex is almost identical in all aspects to the Stance 88 but, unlike the Stance, can usually be found on sale more readily new or used. The Mindbender is also not as straight as the Stance. Both the 85 and 88 are a soft flexing (shovels and tails) ski that I believe is ideal for tweens looking for an all mountain ski.

This is awesome info and greatly appreciated.

I've decided I'm going ot hold off a few months before asking a decision. I might regret not buying liquidfeets mx70s but don't want to rush into too much ski.

We'll either pursue demoing or look strongly at yumis in 154 or some mindbenders as noted above.

Thank you SO MUCH for everyone's help here. It is greatly appreciated!!

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online