• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Womens intermediate carver recommendations

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Another ski to take a look at is the Blossom AM85, previously known as the Crosswind. Good carving chops while remaining quite capable of handling other less-than-groomer on piste conditions.

TS
late4gates

late4gates

Pride comes before a fall.
Skier
Another ski to take a look at is the Blossom AM85, previously known as the Crosswind. Good carving chops while remaining quite capable of handling other less-than-groomer on piste conditions.
Thanks. That's one I am lusting after personally (along with the No 1 RC, AM77 ... :) ). But 166 is too long for her. She would probably go 156-158 (she prefers short).

TS
late4gates

late4gates

Skier

VickieH

Contrarian
Skier
If I had a 97mm ski that I felt was stiff and heavy, the last thing I'd try is a narrower version of that. I probably wouldn't even try the same brand. It's not about the brand, but about the bias that may live in my head.

I was looking around last year for something new -- front side oriented, carving, but capable of playing in moguls and trees. My instructor recommended I stay under about 85mm waist. I would have bought, undemoed, the Nordica Astral if I'd found a good deal. Nordica Santa Ana, 88mm or less, was on my short list to demo, as was the Nela 80.

silverback

Talking a lot about less and less
Skier
Too bad I don’t still have these.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
A piece of advice is don't go too short. She's the same stats as me--I'd not hesitate to put her on a 165. It'll give her a lot more stability.
I agree with Amy, especially if the ski is one with lots of tip and tail rocker. I know she's looking for a front side/carver but even at that, she may be more comfortable on a longer ski. Maybe demo, if possible, a ski that is a bit longer to see what the response is.

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
How about a Salomon S/Force TI.80 in a 163? My intermediate/advanced son (5'11", 140lbs, Mt Baker home mtn) rode his for the first time this weekend and enjoyed it. And it's sibling the S/Force Bold is my favorite ski this season. It's far more all-mountain than the shape would lead you to believe.

TS
late4gates

late4gates

Skier
How about a Salomon S/Force TI.80 in a 163? My intermediate/advanced son (5'11", 140lbs, Mt Baker home mtn) rode his for the first time this weekend and enjoyed it. And it's sibling the S/Force Bold is my favorite ski this season. It's far more all-mountain than the shape would lead you to believe.
I wonder how the 80 would hold up in low powder? She really wants to reserve the BP97s for heavy powder.

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I wonder how the 80 would hold up in low powder? She really wants to reserve the BP97s for heavy powder.

Depending on her skiing style, it's going to be pretty good. I just measured the shovel: it has the same width as my wife's Santa Ana 93. I take my S/Force Bolds out on most days -- and Baker is known for getting a storm or two.

TS
late4gates

late4gates

Skier
Any way you can pick the top 3 and your wife demo?
That’s the plan. I know she can demo the Wild Belle, almost certain about the Santa Ana, and hopeful about the BP82 at least. The more expensive options not so much.

For the record she’s not exactly a passive partner here - she just likes me to do the research because I’m the obsessive one. She’ll read this, look at some reviews, and pick the candidates for demo. I will offer my opinion though

It will mean a lot to her to have the opinions of all you ladies. Thank you.

TS
late4gates

late4gates

Skier
Depending on her skiing style, it's going to be pretty good. I just measured the shovel: it has the same width as my wife's Santa Ana 93. I take my S/Force Bolds out on most days -- and Baker is known for getting a storm or two.
Thanks. Actually your comments about the Bold are very interesting to me personally. I prefer groomers like my wife (obviously I guess) and I’m paralyzed with indecision trying to find something between my Firebird (76) and my Enforcer 104. If the Bold would work in that role it is otherwise super attractive on paper.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks. Actually your comments about the Bold are very interesting to me personally. I prefer groomers like my wife (obviously I guess) and I’m paralyzed with indecision trying to find something between my Firebird (76) and my Enforcer 104. If the Bold would work in that role it is otherwise super attractive on paper.
Probably too much ski for her...I just skied it on Tuesday in a 163. It was a bit of a handful. This after I'd skied at Atomic Cloud 14 which would seem to be too much ski but I loved.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
@groomer - if the new 2022 Santa Ana 84 skis similarly to the outgoing Astral 84 that is a great one for the list; the Astral was such a fun and friendly ski.
It's one of those "why aren't more people skiing this ski" skis? I'm quite certain it's the exact same ski as the Astral, just rebranded with the Santa Ana name because of the name.