• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

WOMEN'S World Cup 2022-2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Has any ski area ever tried laying down that British plastic ski mat stuff and then put snow on top of that? Seems like covering the slope with a year round skiable surface would be ideal plus it doesn't form ruts. Why isn't it more popular?
Totally guessing here, but I see problems with that...

1) Snow not adhering in any way to the plastic like it does grass/earth/rocks and sliding off
2) The plastic not being as cold as the ground and not preserving the snowpack as well
3) It would still only cover a small portion of slopes

And there are a few of those in the US... 3 at least in Minnesota, Virginia, and Connecticut. They are small and presumably aren't that popular, or there would be more. I'm not sure why they're so much more popular in the UK - maybe because they get less snow?

Parnellia

Goofy Foot
Pass Pulled
So ... we get to see Mikaela vs Vlhova for only a couple weeks?!

Yeah. Or better yet the kids you coach versus kids your buddy from the other hill coaches.

Talent always rises up and it's relative. Going 50 mph on wooden skis = 80 mph on modern skis. All those famous old school racers had all the talent and athleticism as any new ones. Except the old school racers weren't crippled from over skiing in their 20s.

S.H.

USSA Coach
Skier
Yeah. Or better yet the kids you coach versus kids your buddy from the other hill coaches.

Talent always rises up and it's relative. Going 50 mph on wooden skis = 80 mph on modern skis. All those famous old school racers had all the talent and athleticism as any new ones. Except the old school racers weren't crippled from over skiing in their 20s.
That sounds crap. Watch Mikaela win every domestic race by ~5 sec is not interesting.

I watch the kids I coach vs the kids my buddy from the other hill coaches like 25x/season.

James

Out There
Instructor
What’s the point of the plastic? Not hitting dirt if things get soft?
They don’t play soccer in wcup on astro turf, they’re not going to ski race on plastic.

Parnellia

Goofy Foot
Pass Pulled
That sounds crap. Watch Mikaela win every domestic race by ~5 sec is not interesting.

I watch the kids I coach vs the kids my buddy from the other hill coaches like 25x/season.

Well who is it about, you or the kids?

In that scenario Mikaela wouldn't have grown up like she did. But she'd probably win a gold medal or two, get married and have kids, have a happy fulfilled life. As opposed to being a world champion neurotic under the media microscope. Seems like a healthier option not to be Mikaela, if you care about the person rather than the legend.

I'm saying people like Andrea Mead Lawrence or Rosi Mittermier actually had it better than present day ski stars. More down to earth, well rounded, human beings as opposed to being 12-year old workaholics or worse 17-year old burnouts.

PinnacleJim

Out on the slopes
Skier
They get a hell of a lot of free advertising. For instance, the Washington Post and NYTs both had big articles about Shiffrin racing there.
That's the argument you hear. So Killington/POWDR is out about $6 million for hosting the races so far. That could buy an awful lot of advertising ---- or upgrades to the resort. The Killington President spoke at the recent annusl meeting of my condo association and he was specifically asked about the future of the WC races. He was very noncommittal, talking about the cost but also the huge workload put on his staff just as they are working to get the resort up and running for the season. I will not be at all surprised if there is no race at Killington next year.

AaronFM

Getting off the lift
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
If 21,000 is the "New Normal" for a Womens WC race at Killington, why would the FIS go anywhere else for a season opener?
remember that this is the first year they had attendance numbers directly backed up by a $5 GA ticket.The population within a few hours drive of Killington should continue to support the numbers in the future, if the snow will is another story. FIS hasn’t given up on the east coast for early races noted by the interest in Tremblant a week after Killington .

James

Out There
Instructor
That's the argument you hear. So Killington/POWDR is out about $6 million for hosting the races so far. That could buy an awful lot of advertising ---- or upgrades to the resort. The Killington President spoke at the recent annusl meeting of my condo association and he was specifically asked about the future of the WC races. He was very noncommittal, talking about the cost but also the huge workload put on his staff just as they are working to get the resort up and running for the season. I will not be at all surprised if there is no race at Killington next year.
Yeah the free advertising talk doesn’t go far.

If they’re going to continue this, I would say they really need investment from the State on infrastructure.

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Most of racers and coaches are for this, but they and their opinion don't matter in this planning, which, before someone jumps on bad bad FIS, is quite normal. Racers and coaches don't pay the bills, industry does. And for industry there's no use of having races in March, even less in late March or beginning of April. Winter is long gone by then, and there's probably 7 pairs of skis sold worldwide in that timeframe (end of season sales for 80% off are excluded from this). They need races in October and November to start sale of equipment, not in March or April, so I doubt things will change much in this part.

Yes, that’s the ”con”.

Average Joe

Out on the slopes
Skier
remember that this is the first year they had attendance numbers directly backed up by a $5 GA ticket.The population within a few hours drive of Killington should continue to support the numbers in the future, if the snow will is another story. FIS hasn’t given up on the east coast for early races noted by the interest in Tremblant a week after Killington .
I’ve paid every year to be at Killington , both general admission and bleachers.

The $5 goes to a charity, which this year received over $600k from the proceeds.

The $1m cost that Killington incurs could be offset by admissions, if they chose, but their strategy appears to be one to maximize attendance and thus marketing exposure (witness the concert crowds, many who were not there for the skiing).

Mikaela being at the top of the sport when Killington landed the event was fortuitous timing, it really helped jumpstart the media exposure which helped drive attendance.

The concert headliners are well known, so for $5 you can be part of something big, pick up free swag, and and enjoy music on a holiday Saturday. Add in a sunny day and - boom- we have 21k attendance.

If they re-up the deal, I think they need to rethink the capacity limits, or expand the services, as there was not enough Porta-john facilities , food trucks, etc.

Last edited:

Pete in Idaho

Out on the slopes
Skier
For the last 10 years or so, I thought women’s GS was the most fun and competitive. Beginning to think women slalom is the shizz right now, looks to me like anyone of those top 5 could take it!…
View attachment 184218
Anyone know why Ava Sunshine didn't start in the Slalom after her good showing in Levi ?

Last edited by a moderator:

James

Out There
Instructor
Anyone know why Ava Sunshine didn't start in the Slalom after her good showing in Levi ?
She did, but skied out very early on run1.

D83D54E1-ACDD-4BA8-BAF6-53A725AFF375.jpeg

Parnellia

Goofy Foot
Pass Pulled
So Ava Sunshine legally changed her name?

Kids these days.... although I notice there aren't many facial piercings or neck tattoos ala 2010.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online