• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

WOMEN'S World Cup 2022-2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
At least on the commercial FIS skis, Atomic/Salomon definitely ski differently than Dynastar/Rossi...

And the boots will be markedly different as well.

Listening to the recent interview with RCS on The Next Turn Podcast he says that the switch from Rossi/Lange to Head boots was the biggest challenge for him when he moved to new equipment. He tried a similar plastic and flex number in the Head to what he had in the Rossi/Lange plug and it was waaaaay off of what he thought it would be. Says it took him the better part of a season to figure it all out.

Gisin is in a similar boat moving from Rossi/Lange to Salomon/Atomic. This season is transitional. The same can be said for Alice Robinson and Ilka Stuhec (whose crash at St. Anton was... yikes).

S.H.

USSA Coach
Skier

Listening to the recent interview with RCS on The Next Turn Podcast he says that the switch from Rossi/Lange to Head boots was the biggest challenge for him when he moved to new equipment. He tried a similar plastic and flex number in the Head to what he had in the Rossi/Lange plug and it was waaaaay off of what he thought it would be. Says it took him the better part of a season to figure it all out.

Gisin is in a similar boat moving from Rossi/Lange to Salomon/Atomic. This season is transitional. The same can be said for Alice Robinson and Ilka Stuhec (whose crash at St. Anton was... yikes).
Did Stuhec change boots or did she stay in a Lange?

Rudi Riet

SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Did Stuhec change boots or did she stay in a Lange?

Almost every Kästle racer is on another company's boot for this season. Some are on Dalbello, others are on Lange (like Stuhec).

I'm interested to see what Lececka ends up doing when she gets back on skis.

Rudi Riet

SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
In news for the 2023-24 season, Killington's contract to hold the women's World Cup races has been renewed for next season - so more Thanksgiving weekend tech races on Superstar!

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Women’s first DH training results from Cortina…
F5C204C1-116F-460C-810F-88065D70B3A5.jpeg

robertc3

Out on the slopes
Skier
Shiffrin confirmed her schedule coming up is 2DH/SG in Cortina, 2GS in Kronplatz, and 2SL in Spindleruv Mlyn

7 races 10 days or something like that.
I think the question will be after those races will she have tied or passed Ingemar? I don't know that anyone would have said there was a chance she was there after Killington, but that is where we are now.

S.H.

USSA Coach
Skier
I think the question will be after those races will she have tied or passed Ingemar? I don't know that anyone would have said there was a chance she was there after Killington, but that is where we are now.
I'd be surprised if she won 4/7 races, given her history at these hills.

Cortina DH - 2 starts (2018), 0 podiums
Cortina SG - 6 starts (including world champs), 1 win (2019), 2 other podiums (2021 world champs SG and AC)
Kronplatz GS - 5 starts, 1 podium (a win in 2019)
Spindleruv Mlyn SL - 2 starts, 1 win (the other SL start was her 2nd world cup start way back in March 2011). She also has a GS podium on the hill.

Tom Holtmann

TomH
Skier

Do they get paid that much to switch sponsors that it is worth the likely decrease in results in an already short career or do they think it won't happen to me? This seems to be very common.

James

Out There
Instructor
So, are they using drones now for coverage?
This Goggia shot in the beginning looks like a drone.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
So, are they using drones now for coverage?
This Goggia shot in the beginning looks like a drone.

Yes, they covered everyone in one section with a drone in St. Anton. I thought it was cool, and was wishing for a similar follow view on other sections.

James

Out There
Instructor
^ Kind of cool. Too wide angle though. Also they totally blew the roll over camera exchange where she almost lost it.

Rudi Riet

SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Do they get paid that much to switch sponsors that it is worth the likely decrease in results in an already short career or do they think it won't happen to me? This seems to be very common.

In many cases they do. Think of it this way: these racers want to maximize the income they get during a very finite competition career. There are the few outliers where they'll have endorsement deals after they retire (e.g. Vonn) but most of these athletes need to capitalize while they can.

And while ski racers are higher-level celebrities in Alpine countries than in the U.S., the majority still not so high-level as to be "set for life" once they retire. So they'll contend with a transition/adjustment season if it means financial gains over the remainder of a career.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online