• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Wood skis, new bindings

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Last night I had someone that wanted me to mount brand new look bindings to some wood skis, 1950-60s era. I believe the skis said Pierce, but not sure.

Laughed and said no. :)

Last edited:

Posaune

sliding
Skier
Well, if someone wants to try them out a set of modern bindings would be the safest bet. Period bindings (like cable) are leg breakers, I speak from experience.

However, to gain the full experience you would need leather lace up boots to go with the skis, and the heel hold down of a modern binding would ruin the full experience.

The brand of ski doesn't probably make much difference since you could buy them from many different sources with various brand names that had nothing to do with the original manufacturer. My first skis in 1963 were "Osoborne and Ulland" (sp?) from a local Seattle based sporting goods store of the era.

You probably made the right call, but more detail about the situation would engender a more active thread.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Old Miller toe piece, cables, and leather boots? An interesting challenge.

With 60 year old wood skis those should last about an hour.

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
It amazes me what people will want to do sometimes. I did flip the skis over to make sure they had metal edges nailed on. :)

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
It amazes me what people will want to do sometimes. I did flip the skis over to make sure they had metal edges nailed on. :)

Ski nutters have nothing on car nutters - and we have any number of custom car garage shows on every streaming service everywhere to prove it.

Time to start a @Dwight's Funky Ski Build Youtube channel :)

Nailed on - was there any blackening of the wood next to the edges?

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Nailed on - was there any blackening of the wood next to the edges?
I didn't look too close. I was busying tuning modern skis. :)

These were all blue on top. Trying to find a picture on the net, but can't yet.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Skis of that era had a top sheet of paint, usually.

The exceptions -the ones that had resin top sheets - also had significantly more durable internal bonding, similar to marine grade plywood. I was wondering if anyone had tried that type of construction prior to well-known examples like the Rossi Strato.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Crosses the line of what you can do with that you should do.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
The exceptions -the ones that had resin top sheets - also had significantly more durable internal bonding, similar to marine grade plywood. I was wondering if anyone had tried that type of construction prior to well-known examples like the Rossi Strato.
1st plastic top sheet I remember was the old Head Standard, from the early 50's.

You guys are right doing stupid stuff with a pair of skis is not a new sport.
1965 +/- took surplus army white elephant skis with the bear traps, cut the tails off under the heels, screw on a set of turn tables and ski them. You could go straight down an elevator shaft, and left the strangest tracks.
We advanced the stupidity and bought old Head Standards and ground the top sheet off of the tips. Instant powder skis.
Probably not good ideas, but lots of fun for a teenager.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Last night I had someone that wanted me to mount brand new look bindings to some wood skis, 1950-60s era. I believe the skis said Pierce, but not sure.

Laughed and said no. :)
...and there go the chances of winning the retro day grand prize of a new pair of 2021 skis:nono:
Narrow? Dude, wood skis were the original all mountain 80mm. :)
I think you would need to go back another decade or two for that one:ogcool:
The edges were probably screwed on, not nailed. Skis of that era had a top sheet of paint, usually.
Yep. My wooden skis purchased new at John Wanamakers Center City Sporting Goods Dept, I think in the winter of '67/'68, had metal edges that were screwed in and a top sheet of paint.

Sponsor