• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Worst ski crash/injury you ever saw?

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
I find this thread enlightening. I want to know these things. Pollyanna thinking is not particularly useful in skiing.

There are too many skiers on the slopes who don't take into account the inherent risks. That makes them a danger to themselves and others. Thus the threads about getting run into by out of control skiers, including little kids getting killed by speeding skiers.

The more we are conscious of the dangers, the more likely it is that we will ski safely.

Last edited:

ThomasD

Getting off the lift
Skier
The “dark side“ or morbid side of me thinks somebody started this thread to combat VR crowds…

Lot of scary posts, especially the BIg Coulair video. But I have to admit @ThomasD post had me laughing just at the thought of it. I wouldn’t want to see that but the comparison to wile e coyote and that story just too much. Glad to hear they made it out ok though.
I didn't intend to make it sound comic, but yeah thinking about it, the whole thing did have a very Benny Hill aspect right up until the fun stopped. Actually it was rather surreal to go so quickly from a total party atmosphere to the aftermath - bloodied and bruised faces, obvious shoulder injuries, one possible broken pelvis, people collared and strapped to backboards and multiple ambulances in the parking area. I shudder to think how much worse it could have been if the people who were in the path had failed to get clear.

If memory serves me this was the spring of 1999, as this was my last season at Big Mountain - moved to Arizona later that year.

MikeW Philly

Getting off the lift
Skier
I didn't intend to make it sound comic, but yeah thinking about it, the whole thing did have a very Benny Hill aspect right up until the fun stopped. Actually it was rather surreal to go so quickly from a total party atmosphere to the aftermath - bloodied and bruised faces, obvious shoulder injuries, one possible broken pelvis, people collared and strapped to backboards and multiple ambulances in the parking area. I shudder to think how much worse it could have been if the people who were in the path had failed to get clear.

If memory serves me this was the spring of 1999, as this was my last season at Big Mountain - moved to Arizona later that year.

Honestly it just made me think of animal house. Feel for the people involved and glad they more or less got out ok after healing. But just the picture of that it’s comic/surreal. Especially after watching that big couloir video…

Posaune

sliding
Skier
I've gone through my memories over 58 years of skiing and I can't say I've witnessed any really awful scenes except for the time I broke my leg badly at age 12 (spiral of the tibia and fibula due to antiquated equipment). I was even on ski patrol during college but I didn't work on any really bad ones. Thank goodness.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
The worst crash I ever saw I was, unfortunately, the only participant. Bumps, bruises and a torn rotator cuff.

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
Just before xmas at Gore a guy jumped on the chair with me.. he bragged about his skiing skills said he was off to austria at the end of the week- I suggested now not a good time to travel internationally even if jabbed if test positive you're locked down.
We got off the lift- I skied over to my friends and the goof ball nearly hit me.. I then skied down Showcase, there was a tight spot by a lift tower with a few beginners wedging. I slowed way down and moved way over to the edge. Thankfully I always LOOK UP hill when ever I'm making a wider than my tight groomer width turns- or tight spaces. As I glanced, who do I see "mr skier extraordinaire" Totally out of control he had hit a slick spot- he threw his poles away. I watched him Launch and FLY about 50ft in the air before slamming into the ground. He laid there for a while, finally lifted an arm and started to move- groaned he was ok.. I'll bet he didn't go to Austria..

Don't ski faster than you can fall--- and Don't ski faster than you can stop ASAP..

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The worst crash I ever saw I was, unfortunately, the only participant. Bumps, bruises and a torn rotator cuff.
I saw that one. I did not get pictures. :(

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
I have not seen anything particularly gnarly crash wise and is probably part of why I can keep skiing (ignorance).

I learned a while back that if you are falling, embrace it and don't resist. I've seen a number of people trying desperately not to fall and hurt themselves that way at really low speeds - ACL/knee injuries that way are common. Better to fall at the lowest speed you can and while you are still forward on the skis - if you aren't sure if you can save it and the skis will soon be ahead of you, it's better to just eat the snow sometimes before it gets worse.

wooglin

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Worst I've seen was my son dislocating his shoulder at Sunapee after dropping into Blastoff without checking what the surface looked like. Caught an edge on his first turn, got flung backwards, and landed with his hands behind him. Not something a parent really wants to see, but in the big scheme of things, not horrible.

That was maybe 5 days after he saw what I hope was his worst, which was watching someone ski into a snow gun at Beech without a helmet over Christmas in 2020. Not sure if the guy was an idiot or just didn't know any better, but I suspect the former. Not setting a very good example for his two sons that he was skiing with.

My son was the first person to him, but I'm pretty sure the guy was already dead. If not, certainly there was nothing that could be done.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah, I'm not wanting to read these. But but but....

I am only adding this because it was the strangest thing ever. Dude comes flying out of control, sitting on his skis, going about 40, at the base of Copper where the trail goes under American Flyer. Because he is sitting, he goes under the rope, and flies off the lip into the lift loading zone. He catches one of the high-speed chairs from behind, about 20 ft in the air, and hits it, falling into the lift area. It literally looked like
il_794xN.2135229660_4qez.jpg

He was out cold, and I guess had a broken leg. Didn't hear much else. Photo shows path (red line) and patrol working on him.

View attachment 157116
You managed to create a post about an awful mishap and make it somewhat….hilarious with that Wiley E. Coyote silhouette.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I find this thread enlightening. I want to know these things. Pollyanna thinking is not particularly useful in skiing.
No one is asking for a Pollyanna Sunshine outlook, but there is something about concentrating on the "worst" or dwelling on someone else's catastrophe that feels a little unsettling.

wooglin

Making fresh tracks
Skier
That's awful. How old was your son when this happened?
21. He was an instructor at Beech, and finishing college there in Banner Elk. We made sure he got some help working through the trauma. Im sure the patrol folks on hand needed and got help afterwards as well.

He had his wilderness first responder cert, and did well. Pretty proud of him.

Last edited:

ThomasD

Getting off the lift
Skier
Worst I've seen was my son dislocating his shoulder at Sunapee after dropping into Blastoff without checking what the surface looked like. Caught an edge on his first turn, got flung backwards, and landed with his hands behind him. Not something a parent really wants to see, but in the big scheme of things, not horrible.

That was maybe 5 days after he saw what I hope was his worst, which was watching someone ski into a snow gun at Beech without a helmet over Christmas in 2020. Not sure if the guy was an idiot or just didn't know any better, but I suspect the former. Not setting a very good example for his two sons that he was skiing with.

My son was the first person to him, but I'm pretty sure the guy was already dead. If not, certainly there was nothing that could be done.
That guy was a Bristol TN area dentist. Did not know him myself, but know a friend of the family. Reportedly he was an experienced skier who loaned his own helmet to his son who had forgotten to bring his that day.

Nate L

Putting on skis
Skier
I was at Snowbasin 8 or 9 years ago and saw a boarder come full speed out of the trees and off the lip edge of a groomer and crash board-first into a woman stopped on the slope and bent over trying to help her daughter with her skis. Horrific collision, Medevac and everything ... I think she ended up having broken vertebrae, several broken ribs and a lacerated liver. In fact during that 6-day trip there were a few serious injuries at that resort.

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Best crashes are the way they are stored in my brain. My lifelong injury average is about 3 events per 1000 ski days. Most of these stories are best discussed over a happy hour beer with friends that were there.
When too many of my ski buddies end up on the sidelines with injuries my wife will warn me that I have broken all that like to ski with me and to take it easier.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online