• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

WV Golf and Bike Weekend, 2021 & 2022

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I just spent three great days in West Virginia with fellow SkiTalkers @jimmy , @Gary Stolt and @CharlieM during the third week of August 2021.
We played golf the first two days and took a bike ride on the third day.

Our first golf day was at the Valley View Golf Club in Moorefield, WV. We played in 85 degree temps with mostly sunny conditions. Don't recall them ever featuring a round of golf on the old Andy Griffith Show, but they could have filmed it here. This course was like something out of Mayberry RFD. It cost us $30 each for 18 holes and a cart. We saw about ten other golfers all day and drank six beers on the clubhouse porch afterwards for $8 total. Fairways and tee boxes were a little dry here and there, but the greens were excellent.

L-R: Jimmy, Gary, Charlie
golf trio valley view.jpg

Gary alone could beat the three of us playing best ball!
gary mtn golf par 3.jpg

This place was as American as apple pie, Charlie watching his ball flight.
charlie follow.jpg

Jimmy and mountain golf.
jimmy mtn.jpg

Charlie took one quick shot of me and it was a better swing analysis photo than anything I got both days.
james golf.jpg

après-golf from the clubhouse porch at Valley View Golf Club:
valley view porch drinks.jpg

Gary shuttled us to the course in his new Genesis SUV, believe it was the GV80 model. Beautiful car inside and out with something like 380 HP that ate up the WV mountain roads.
gary genesis gv80.jpg

We stopped at beautiful Seneca Rocks, WV on the drive after golfing:
senica rocks.jpeg

Our limo driver, "take us home Gary."
genesis interior.jpeg

We were staying in accommodations near Timberline Mountain Ski Area in Canaan Valley, WV and that night we feasted on homemade peach pie from Charlie's wife Patty.
peach pie.jpg

The second day of golf was at beautiful Canaan Valley Resort Golf Club. It's at an elevation of about 3200' and temps never went above 75 degs. We caught a little rain shower for about two holes, but otherwise had a dry day playing a full 18 holes again. I won't mention any names, but Charlie was stuck with a dog for a playing partner. :duck:

playing like a dog.jpg

L-R: Charlie, Gary and Jimmy. That's the Canaan Valley Resort Hotel complex in the background.
charlie gary jimmy cv resort.jpg

Jimmy's been working on his golf game and it shows! He's gearing up for retired life.
jimmy swing.jpg

Gorgeous photo, gorgeous golf shot. Charlie put this 8 feet from the cup and sank the putt for a birdie:hail: That's Canaan Valley Ski Area in the background.
charlies birdie.jpg

After golf we checked out the base area of nearby Timberline Mountain Ski Area. This lodge was extensively remodeled in the last year by the new owners of the resort, the Perfect family.
remodeled lodge.jpg

They also installed two new lifts in 2020, a high speed six pack (foreground) and a fixed grip quad (background). This is one of my favorite places to ski in the mid-Atlantic and now it's better than ever.
new lifts.jpg

L-R: Jimmy, Jim, and Gary. Jimmy wins for best après-golf shoes.:micdrop:
tline new six pack.jpg

On our third day together Jim, Charlie and Gary went for a 25 mile bike ride. We rode the Allegheny Highlands Trail (AHT) from Hendricks to Elkins, WV. The AHT is a rail-trail that follows the course of several rivers while passing through a mountainous region of WV with small towns and rural farmland. The surface was a little bit of everything including a number of miles of gravel.
L-R: Charlie, Jim and Gary
trio bikers.jpg

The Bridge Over the River Cheat near the AHT trailhead in Hendricks, WV. This was an old foot bridge with a funny sign.
bridge sign.jpg

Overpass for US 48 under construction near Montrose, WV. That pylon must have been 40 stories high, a lot of concrete! This bridge is going to look like something from Switzerland when they are done.
us 48 bridge.jpg

Country roads take me home to the place I belong, West Virginia!

gravel road.jpg

We took a rest at about the 15 mile mark for a snack and repair of a flat inner tube that went smoothly.
rest stop.jpg

Beautiful 80 degree Saturday with blue skies and puffy clouds. Darn weekends are so busy on the AHT. ;)
During our 25 mile ride we saw a total of seven other people using the trail, three bikers and four walkers.
grassy aht.jpg

We took another very interesting drive after the bike ride on some amazing, winding WV country roads. There was about a 300' drop to the right of the road here to a fast flowing river.
wv road.jpg

It got real interesting when we met a dually pick-up truck on this road, no pictures, kept both hands on steering wheel.
narrow road.jpeg

We drove by the 120 year old Tucker County Courthouse in Parsons, WV:
courthouse.jpg

I will close with a photo that says it all about this part of West Virginia.

almost heaven (3).jpg

Last edited:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Gary shuttled us to the course in his new Genesis SUV, believe it was the GV80 model. Beautiful car inside and out with something like 380 HP that ate up the WV mountain roads.
gary genesis gv80.jpg
He was talking about this when I saw him. @Gary Stolt, how is it?

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Looks like fun! I miss seeing you guys.

Gary Stolt

Mr. Style
Team Gathermeister
I just spent three great days in West Virginia with fellow SkiTalkers @jimmy , @Gary Stolt and @CharlieM during the third week of August 2021.
We played golf the first two days and took a bike ride on the third day.

Our first golf day was at the Valley View Golf Club in Moorefield, WV. We played in 85 degree temps with mostly sunny conditions. Don't recall them ever featuring a round of golf on the old Andy Griffith Show, but they could have filmed it here. This course was like something out of Mayberry RFD. It cost us $30 each for 18 holes and a cart. We saw about ten other golfers all day and drank six beers on the clubhouse porch afterwards for $8 total. Fairways and tee boxes were a little dry here and there, but the greens were excellent.

L-R: Jimmy, Gary, Charlie
View attachment 140533

Gary alone could beat the three of us playing best ball!
View attachment 140534

This place was as American as apple pie, Charlie watching his ball flight.
View attachment 140535
Jimmy and mountain golf.
View attachment 140536

Charlie took one quick shot of me and it was a better swing analysis photo than anything I got both days.
View attachment 140537

après-golf from the clubhouse porch at Valley View Golf Club:
View attachment 140538

View attachment 140539

We stopped at beautiful Seneca Rocks, WV on the drive after golfing:
View attachment 140540

Our limo driver, "take us home Gary."
View attachment 140541

We were staying in accommodations near Timberline Mountain Ski Area in Canaan Valley, WV and that night we feasted on homemade peach pie from Charlie's wife Patty.
View attachment 140542

The second day of golf was at beautiful Canaan Valley Resort Golf Club. It's at an elevation of about 3200' and temps never went above 75 degs. We caught a little rain shower for about two holes, but otherwise had a dry day playing a full 18 holes again. I won't mention any names, but Charlie was stuck with a dog for a playing partner. :duck:

View attachment 140543

L-R: Charlie, Gary and Jimmy. That's the Canaan Valley Resort Hotel complex in the background.
View attachment 140544

Jimmy's been working on his golf game and it shows! He's gearing up for retired life.
View attachment 140545

Gorgeous photo, gorgeous golf shot. Charlie put this 8 feet from the cup and sank the putt for a birdie:hail: That's Canaan Valley Ski Area in the background.
View attachment 140546

After golf we checked out the base area of nearby Timberline Mountain Ski Area. This lodge was extensively remodeled in the last year by the new owners of the resort, the Perfect family.
View attachment 140547

They also installed two new lifts in 2020, a high speed six pack (foreground) and a fixed grip quad (background). This is one of my favorite places to ski in the mid-Atlantic and now it's better than ever.
View attachment 140548

L-R: Jimmy, Jim, and Gary. Jimmy wins for best après-golf shoes.:micdrop:
View attachment 140549

On our third day together Jim, Charlie and Gary went for a 25 mile bike ride. We rode the Allegheny Highlands Trail (AHT) from Hendricks to Elkins, WV. The AHT is a rail-trail that follows the course of several rivers while passing through a mountainous region of WV with small towns and rural farmland. The surface was a little bit of everything including a number of miles of gravel.
L-R: Charlie, Jim and Gary
View attachment 140550

The Bridge Over the River Cheat near the AHT trailhead in Hendricks, WV. This was an old foot bridge with a funny sign.
View attachment 140551

Overpass for US 48 under construction near Montrose, WV. That pylon must have been 40 stories high, a lot of concrete! This bridge is going to look like something from Switzerland when they are done.
View attachment 140552

Country roads take me home to the place I belong, West Virginia!

View attachment 140553

We took a rest at about the 15 mile mark for a snack and repair of a flat inner tube that went smoothly.
View attachment 140566

Beautiful 80 degree Saturday with blue skies and puffy clouds. Darn weekends are so busy on the AHT. ;)
During our 25 mile ride we saw a total of seven other people using the trail, three bikers and four walkers.
View attachment 140554

We took another very interesting drive after the bike ride on some amazing, winding WV country roads. There was about a 300' drop to the right of the road here to a fast flowing river.
View attachment 140555
It got real interesting when we met a dually pick-up truck on this road, no pictures, kept both hands on steering wheel.
View attachment 140556

We drove by the 120 year old Tucker County Courthouse in Parsons, WV:
View attachment 140558

I will close with a photo that says it all about this part of West Virginia.

View attachment 140567

Jim, you do a great job of picture taking and recapping our trip. Your descriptions are really good.

TS
Jim Kenney

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
UPDATE: I just spent three great days in West Virginia with fellow SkiTalkers @jimmy , @Gary Stolt and @CharlieM , Sep 9-11, 2022.
We played golf at Canaan Valley Resort on Sep 9 and 11 and took a bike ride nearby on Sep 10. Sep 9 was golf warm-up day for our foursome. Then on Sep 11 we played the course again while participating in the WV Snow Sports Museum Hall of Fame Golf Tournament.

Sep 9 was a gorgeous day, mostly sunny with high temp of 73 degs. Charlie teeing off:
sep 2022 wv golf charlie clouds.jpg

Gary is a single digit handicapper and fun to be around on a golf course! The slopes of White Grass Nordic Ski Area can be seen in the right background. It's all hike-to terrain and that narrow trail from the top of the hill is quite steep.
sep 2022 wv golf gary swing.jpg

Gary has an excellent all-around golf game, here he's trying to chip one inside Jimmy's nice shot near the pin.
sep 2022 gary chipping.jpg

L-R: Gary, Jimmy and Charlie on the par-3 sixth hole. On Sunday we played this hole from the white tees at ~175 yards with a $10,000 prize for a hole in one. I hit mine four feet from the pin. No prize money, but by far my best shot of the weekend.
sep 2022 wv golf par 3.jpg

On Sep 10 Gary and I took a two hour bike ride on the Allegheny Highlands Trail around Hendricks, WV. They were hosting a Half Marathon race that morning on the multi-use trail from Davis to Parsons.
sep 2022 wv golf bike runner.jpg

We were told to avoid a section of the trail with our bikes as the road race wrapped up, so we detoured across this swinging foot bridge in Hendricks, L-R: Gary, Jim. This bridge crosses the Black Fork of the Cheat River and had been nicely restored with new planking in the last 12 months.
sep 2022 wv golf bike bridge gary jim.jpeg

Our little detour past the busy section of the trail involved a 500-600' vertical climb up a nearby country road, but after this point it was all downhillogsmile Nice cool day for a ride or a run.
sep 2022 wv golf bike climb.jpg

On Sunday, Sep 11 we participated in the annual WV Snow Sports Museum Hall of Fame Golf Tournament at Canaan Valley Resort, held for the benefit of the museum in nearby Davis, WV. Kim Williams, President of the Museum's Board is in red going over tourney rules. Kim is a great guy and longtime ski instructor in the Canaan Valley/Timberline, WV area. Believe he's a member here at Ski Talk.
sep 2022 wv golf tourney crowd.jpg

Jimmy and Kim getting fired up for tournament play.
sep 2022 wv golf tourney jimmy and kim.jpg

Jim and Charlie are smiling because the clouds lifted on tournament day.
sep 2022 wv golf jim and charlie.jpg

Jimmy's follow through, with Canaan Valley Lodge in the right background.
sep 2022 wv golf tourney jimmy swing.jpg

Charlie had the hot putter on Sunday! Our group finished 6-Under. Out of the money, but we had a great time!
sep 2022 wv golf charlie putts.jpg

During the entire weekend we saw vintage sports cars tooling around the area, especially Lotus cars. I found out there was a Lotus Car rally in Canaan Valley the same weekend. Here's a few of them parked in nearby Davis, WV.
sep 2022 wv golf lotus.jpg

Here's what we were playing for in Sunday's benefit tournament, it's in Davis, WV.
sep 2022 wv golf museum.jpg

They are going to do the tourney again in 2023, same date, second Sunday in September.
Here's the link for donations to the museum: https://www.snowsportsmuseumwv.org/

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online