• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

XC, what do you carry?

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Me, so far, just the phone and car keys. I think a water bottle could be useful, and a scraper, and some kind of wax. Does the spray wax (like the new Swix stuff) work outdoors in the cold on a cold ski? We had one time last year when new warm snow was sticking to the skis and skating started to turn into walking.

edit: if there is wax, probably a cork or something too

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
You better be a hell of a good shot with a handgun. to take down a 1000 pound grizzly bear charging at you at 35 mph. You'd be incredibly lucky if you get more than one shot off. Better to have a partner and both be armed.

TS
Erik Timmerman

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
I think a "what animal could eat me" thread already exists, but I think it's mountain lions I'd be afraid of in Wyoming. Anyway, I think I can probably get by in VT without a gun.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
^^^Moose! calmly go the other way slowly..

Last edited:

LuliTheYounger

I'm just here to bother my mom
Skier
So far this year: Camelbak with water, granola bar for me & random assortment of food for the dog, his towline if I'm not using it, keys, phone, buff, spare gloves + an extra layer if I'm not sure about the weather. I think I could cut down on water more since the dog basically just eats snow while he runs, but I guess I'm in some goofy habits from bike season.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Skating groomed trails - never really far from help.

Hate shoulder straps while skating, so usually wear a small lumbar pack. Small water bottle per anticipated hour of skiing - max 2. Couple of gels, trail pass, car key, phone. Room to ditch a hat and a light layer if needed.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
Swix insulated drink belt, and as it has one "pocket" on top of bottle, it's place for car keys, and in case I go classic and it's hardwax time, right hard wax, and another piece degree or two warmer one and cork.

You better be a hell of a good shot with a handgun. to take down a 1000 pound grizzly bear charging at you at 35 mph. You'd be incredibly lucky if you get more than one shot off. Better to have a partner and both be armed.
If you have partner, then there's no need for gun, unless he or she is faster on skis then you are, and you need to shoot him in the leg to overtake him/her. :roflmao:

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Definitely wax and water. I have a tendency to turn a 2 hour trip into breaking trail for hours so i bring a pack with whatever i need for an extended outing. It gets cold out there. Maybe a phone power cell.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Me, so far, just the phone and car keys. I think a water bottle could be useful, and a scraper, and some kind of wax. Does the spray wax (like the new Swix stuff) work outdoors in the cold on a cold ski? We had one time last year when new warm snow was sticking to the skis and skating started to turn into walking.

are you talking about kickwax or glide wax? Yes, for classic, I will take one or two kickwaxes, a cork and scraper along.

For glide wax, stick with what’s on there.
Edit, I see you meant glide wax. No, don’t bring anything.

If you are worried, better to apply another layer at home before you leave,
New warm snow sticking should really only happen to the wrong kickwax.
Wrong glide wax, you would just be a bit slower. I would guess that you just didn’t have enough wax left on the skis in the scenario above.
Or, you did what ”my friend” did, and spray kickwax all over his glide zones and skate skis, having confused it with the new spray on glide wax

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Or, you did what ”my friend” did, and spray kickwax all over his glide zones and skate skis, having confused it with the new spray on glide wax
:doh: Oops.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister

Lewis and Clark encounter a grizzly bear: https://franceshunter.wordpress.com/2010/01/11/with-a-bear-behind-lewis-clark-meet-the-grizzly-bear/

"Indians may well fear this anamal equiped as they generally are with their bows and arrows or indifferent fuzees, but in the hands of skillfull riflemen they are by no means as formidable or dangerous as they have been represented.”

Subsequent encounters would prove otherwise.

:eek: Fun reading. (Not sure what "indifferent fuzees" means... Lewis and Clark might have been skilled explorers, but they couldn't spell worth a damn).

ted

Getting off the lift
Skier

Zardoz notwax for the win.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Water in a small backpack where I carry or stash layers . I also like to have the option of a hat or a headband depending on temps and wind... goggles or sun glasses. I like to have options on the trail.

I need to learn about this waxing stuff though.

I am getting a new xc set up this season. My stuff is circa 1897: 3 pin, Heierling boots held together with shoe goo, epoxy and duct tape are warmer and more waterproof than when they were new but Robins is embarrassed to be seen with me.