• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

XC, what do you carry?

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
Bear Spray.....not kidding... as when black bear attack they usually want to eat you! :geek: Too many close calls to count so I don't leave home w/o it

Seriously? Hikers I know who have encountered bears in either VT or NH have invariably described the bears as "more scared of me than I was of it". The AMC indicates that there hasn't been a bear attack on a human in NH since the Revolutionary War. Moose on the other hand can be downright scary.

I've heard they can be a little ornery coming out of hibernation though having not eaten in several months.

Edit: I have not encountered a bear hiking. I've seen moose who were happy to ignore me, and I was happy to see that they were happy. :ogbiggrin:

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Edit: I have not encountered a bear hiking.

I have - in both cases there was a forest fire nearby.

I suppose there could be other disruptive things on that scale, I just don't know of any.

Anyway, back to the original question

Maxiglide quick wax because puddles and wet snow + Pedros toothbrush in case ice or crud in binding/boot channel

Last edited:

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Yeah...... generally they hibernate, but in spring it can get sketchy out here and at the beginning of the season, also sketchy. Yes generally they run away... until they don't..... I've had to back away a few times already and 1x w/ cubs. :geek: I don't chance it anymore and just pack the spray. I used to carry a pistol, but that's pretty much useless unless you run into a pack of "CoyDogs".... I guess I live waaay out as I can't even fathom going out w/o spray now..... Here's a pic from just in front of the house a few weeks ago.... a rare but wonderful sighting!

Attachments

• IMG_0457.JPG
    IMG_0457.JPG
    215.9 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I figured you were making a goofy joke at the expense of Kevin's comment, "I have not encountered a bear hiking." Presumably Kevin meant that he had not encountered a bear while he himself (Kevin) was hiking. I imagined you twisting this to mean that you had encountered a bear who was hiking, and that, moreover, he was wearing a big hat and a fire warden's uniform. Because that's exactly the kind of thing that you would do. :ogbiggrin:

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I figured you were making a goofy joke at the expense of Kevin's comment, "I have not encountered a bear hiking." Presumably Kevin meant that he had not encountered a bear while he himself (Kevin) was hiking. I imagined you twisting this to mean that you had encountered a bear who was hiking, and that, moreover, he was wearing a big hat and a fire warden's uniform. Because that's exactly the kind of thing that you would do. :ogbiggrin:

Fair enough, I totally would do that.

I didn't in this case, tho. Quite literal forest fires, with smoke and firefighters intruding on bear turf.

Nanook12

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Since I’m usually skiing with a dog, the moose and wolves worry me more than the rare insomniac bear. Moose do not like to give up the trail to man or dog/wolf. I carry a 30 round 22mag pistol, makes a lot of noise and puts out a pretty impressive fireball in the dark...Moose will run from that, wolves better run. The wolves will kill your dog in nothing flat, they also seem to be getting less afraid of man in the North Country. I also carry spare kick and cork, h2o. Short daylight up here means a headlamp also.