• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Year of the Core Shot! Base Repair Gun or Iron

bremmick

Booting up
Skier
Well, this seems to be the year of the core shot in this low tide season in the Wasatch. Three core shots now in my Enforcer 104's thus far this season.

Finally ready to jump in and do it the right way and quite lighting candles. What is everyone using or preferring, guns are a little spendy, but I see a lot of people using irons (like a soldering or wood burning).

Any recommendations and advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
If you are getting core shots and damages close to the ski edges, you will probably require metal grip as the first layer to repair ptex. An iron is better for that.

A gun if you are doing lots of skis and have access to base grinding machinery.

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
As a peon of modest means, there is a simple reason my skis last for years with little edge damage, much less core shots despite significant numbers of days. When I see dark things in front of me, I slow down so I can make turns around them just like skiing bumps in the right places. On fresh days, I won't ski lines where rocks lurk and knowing where those areas may be is usually obvious. For those that can afford skis frequently, more power to you, I envy you, as you are providing good business to ski shops.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
As a peon of modest means, there is a simple reason my skis last for years with little edge damage, much less core shots despite significant numbers of days. When I see dark things in front of me, I slow down so I can make turns around them just like skiing bumps in the right places. On fresh days, I won't ski lines where rocks lurk and knowing where those areas may be is usually obvious. For those that can afford skis frequently, more power to you, I envy you, as you are providing good business to ski shops.

Or, you just get more snow, more often.

Some of us don't have the privilege of memorising rocks because the groomer puts them in a different spot in the snow with every pass.

And that is the only skiable snow there is.

TS
bremmick

bremmick

Booting up
Skier

I wish it was just that easy. Sometimes they are hiding in bumps that you don't see when skiing fast until to late. Or laying down a turn in some fresh and finding it.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
If you are getting core shots and damages close to the ski edges, you will probably require metal grip as the first layer to repair ptex. An iron is better for that.

A gun if you are doing lots of skis and have access to base grinding machinery.
Metalgrip sticks to metal and core and can be dripped like a ptex candle. The problem might be
finding a ski shop that sels metalgrip as a retail item.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I have the Kuu iron and I'm very happy with it.
https://www.racewax.com/ptex-base-repair-iron-kit-kuu-pro-fix/

pc1768__15a__75261.1602945093.jpg

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Metalgrip sticks to metal and core and can be dripped like a ptex candle. The problem might be
finding a ski shop that sels metalgrip as a retail item.
Racewax, Slidewright, probably others sell it by the foot.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I don't have this iron in particular, but for core shots near the edge or not, you need metal-grip. It can only be applied with a soldering iron, never burned. I always use a soldering iron on core shots both at home and in the shop.

jmills115

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Rocks weren’t a problem in LCC today :)
I’ve thought about base repairs myself but the shop I use is fast, cheap, and I know they will do a better job than I would
@Doug Briggs Is it common for you to fix a DIY repair or no?

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Rocks weren’t a problem in LCC today :)
I’ve thought about base repairs myself but the shop I use is fast, cheap, and I know they will do a better job than I would
@Doug Briggs Is it common for you to fix a DIY repair or no?

I fix all my own core shots. I also work in a ski shop as a tech so I fix a lot of other people's core shots, too.

Sponsor