• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Year of the Core Shot! Base Repair Gun or Iron

jmills115

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I fix all my own core shots. I also work in a ski shop as a tech so I fix a lot of other people's core shots, too.
I’ve seen a couple ugly repairs a buddy did, and how it looked after taking it to a shop to fix his work.
His thinking was a quick repair, ski it a few (20 knowing him) more days, and then do it right.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I'm sorry I misunderstood. I am usually working on new damage. If I get in a ski with failing P-Tex, I'll often ask (sometimes do gratis) if they want it repaired. Typically the failing P-Tex jobs are ones that were large and cracked over time or ones along an edge. I think that P-Tex applied with an iron is more durable than P-Tex that was dripped by burning.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Regarding core shots and repairs in general. It is better to do a poor DIY with P-Tex than do nothing if you are going to wax your skis. Wax in a damaged section compromises the repair.

oldfashoned

Out on the slopes
Skier
I also have the KUU iron. Kind of expensive for what it is. But it works. Takes a little practice and the repairs are solid.

Scrundy

I like beer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I’ve got a pest core shot on edge, tried everything mentioned above and find epoxy works best. It wears out due to friction, so I reapply now and then

TS
bremmick

bremmick

Booting up
Skier
I don't have this iron in particular, but for core shots near the edge or not, you need metal-grip. It can only be applied with a soldering iron, never burned. I always use a soldering iron on core shots both at home and in the shop.

Does a soldering iron get too hot and burn it, I've heard wood burner tools will do that. Wondering if these specific tools run at lower temps.

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier
Does a soldering iron get too hot and burn it, I've heard wood burner tools will do that. Wondering if these specific tools run at lower temps.
See my video.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
My soldering iron has a temperature control. I think the small white circle on the Kuu is a temperature control.

I use a higher temperature for the metalgrip than I do for P-Tex. I found the temps I use by trial and error.

IMG_20200325_175221224.jpg

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I think the small white circle on the Kuu is a temperature control.
Huh.
The equivalent circle on mine is black and I never noticed it. It definitely has a slot and looks like it would turn, but I'm guessing it is meant for infrequent calibration/adjustment, not for day-to-day control. Nothing on the packaging mentioned it. I've done metal grip and ptex ribbon (or bar) with the as-shipped setting.

The spade tip makes things easier. If you already have a soldering iron, you could just get the tips:
digi-key link

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I don't have access to it right now, but the shop has a new iron and I think it has that kind of dial. I'll look when I can to see if it is a temperature adjustment.

My iron is specifically designed to be adjustable which I consider a huge benefit. Using a lower temp on the P-Tex avoids remelting the metalgrip. I agree that the spade tip is the best. Mine came with a chisel tip about 5.5 mm wide. It works well. The older one we had at the shop had a spade tip. I liked it a lot.

Last edited:

Eric Edelstein

ExoticSkis
Skier
Industry Insider
Tognar sells it in rolls.
Artech has metalgrip for $5 per foot.. Definitely use it as the first layer over any exposed metal edge material...then fill the wound with PTEX over the metalgrip... If the wound is serious.. a base patch with an appropriate epoxy (West Marine GFlex 650 or 655) will do the trick.

Sponsor

Staff online