• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Yet another knee injury question-- what would you do?

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
Skiki, I had to have my perineal tendon repaired a few years ago and despite be very careful with moving around, articulating the legs, wearing the compression socks, etc., I wound up with blood clots in my lower leg. My surgery was in August, but I had to stay on blood thinners through January. I refused to stop skiing, but there was a significant risk associated with my obsession.

I was able to return to skiing 7 months after my ACL surgery. Is your surgeon suggestion otherwise? The big issue, as I understand it, is the risk you have at about 3 months post op. That's when you start to feel pretty good and you're more susceptible to doing something that risks tearing the anchor for the repair. So be sure to stay on the schedule of what's allowed...

Mike

Chuck danache

On the road
Skier
Skiki, I had to have my perineal tendon repaired a few years ago and despite be very careful with moving around, articulating the legs, wearing the compression socks, etc., I wound up with blood clots in my lower leg. My surgery was in August, but I had to stay on blood thinners through January. I refused to stop skiing, but there was a significant risk associated with my obsession.

I was able to return to skiing 7 months after my ACL surgery. Is your surgeon suggestion otherwise? The big issue, as I understand it, is the risk you have at about 3 months post op. That's when you start to feel pretty good and you're more susceptible to doing something that risks tearing the anchor for the repair. So be sure to stay on the schedule of what's allowed...

Mike
They way I understood it, at the 3 month period the tendon is transforming to a ligament…as you said, time to be careful. I as well was skiing 6/7 months after both my repairs, 2006 & 2014.

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Those stockings are really important to avoid getting blood clots. If you get blood clots, it is a life threatening situation -- they can break free and cause a stroke. Even if you don't get a stroke, getting blood clots means months on an anticoagulant and likely no skiing, biking, or anything where there is a risk of a fall. So just suck the discomfort up...
Mike is right. I used a leg squeezer for the first few days after both hips were replaced ( a leg squeezer is like a BP cuff that squeezes and releases ) it take a bit of getting used to but it’s a good idea. Also, in my case -most cases, no flying for 6 weeks after the operation- the change in pressure can cause an embolism and that’s a serious situation, even more serious on a plane. All this hassle and discomfort passes the end result is you are better than before.

TS
S

skiki

Out on the slopes
Skier
After reading a little more about the risks of clots, and that it is recommended to wear compression socks for a while after surgery I’ve decided that I just need to find some that are more comfortable than the TED ones I was sent home in. I ordered some open toe cotton blend knee highs yesterday to try out. But I’ll continue with the TED until I see the PA and ask about knee high vs full leg for my wonky side.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
After reading a little more about the risks of clots, and that it is recommended to wear compression socks for a while after surgery I’ve decided that I just need to find some that are more comfortable than the TED ones I was sent home in. I ordered some open toe cotton blend knee highs yesterday to try out. But I’ll continue with the TED until I see the PA and ask about knee high vs full leg for my wonky side.
Apparently no one gave you the talk.

TS
S

skiki

Out on the slopes
Skier
On here yes. A little more info from my care team (medical care team that is, not my pug care team, you guys have been great) would have been appreciated. And a big thank you for all who offered up cautionary advice to prompt me to read up a little more on the issue. Next up— knee surgery and dental care. Sigh.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I was just goofng on "TED Talk."

Sponsor

Staff online