• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Yeti SB 150

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
Curious if anyone is riding a Yeti SB 150 and what their thoughts are on the bike? I demoed one yesterday, and it was good but obviously did not have the suspension really dialed in. Have the option to pick one up used so wanted to get some first hand thoughts on this bike.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It's a LOT of bike. I don't follow Yeti closely, but I do follow Geoff Kabush a bit. When he started doing the "older gentleman's" class in enduro a few years ago, he chose the SB 130 instead of the 150. He did over-fork it with a 150 fork.

Good review on both here:

After re-reading both reviews, unless I was earning a paycheck on the EWS, I'd go with the 130.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Curious if anyone is riding a Yeti SB 150 and what their thoughts are on the bike? I demoed one yesterday, and it was good but obviously did not have the suspension really dialed in. Have the option to pick one up used so wanted to get some first hand thoughts on this bike.

Its a big bike for high speeds and big descents. A bit of an overkill for more modest trails. It all depends on how you ride and where you ride. If its the right bike and size for you then go for it. I am sure you can dial the susp. to you liking.

TS
dovski

dovski

Skier
It's a helluva bike. What do you want to do with it?
The plan is to ride mostly single track. There are some great trails and descents near us. Occasionally will also do some down hilling. I would classify myself as an intermediate rider. Have demoed the SB150 and liked it from a ride and size perspective, though was not somewhere to really test it hard. This would be a big step up from the Diamondback Mission Pro I currently ride.

Let's be clear this is way more bike then I actually need, but I am hoping to work into it and I am buying it gently used at a great price.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Let's be clear this is way more bike then I actually need, but I am hoping to work into it and I am buying it gently used at a great price.

GO! Don't dawdle in today's used bike market.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
If you get a good price..and you can afford it..and you're good with an enduro-centric bike, go for it. Like Tom says, the bike market is TIGHT. I'm trying to find something for next year and it's really tough. Canyon just launched the Stoic which is kinda what I'm looking for, but you can't actually get one shipped until March. That's some lead time man...

TS
dovski

dovski

Skier
If you get a good price..and you can afford it..and you're good with an enduro-centric bike, go for it. Like Tom says, the bike market is TIGHT. I'm trying to find something for next year and it's really tough. Canyon just launched the Stoic which is kinda what I'm looking for, but you can't actually get one shipped until March. That's some lead time man...
Completely agree with you and Tom. Just picked up a used Trailcraft Maxwell for my son and it took me close to 6 months to find and successfully buy it.
My only concern now is is the SB 150 going to be way way to much bike for me. At best I am an intermediate rider, but I am improving :)

scott43

Skier
Meh..bike is a bike..won't hurt you..I mean, it's long travel..too much for my style..but if you are ok with it, go for it. If I tried to slide that much bike past the Minster of Finance, I'd be sleeping in the garage for...well..ever.. :roflmao: But really, can't complain, just set the suspension up for you, make sure it's fit properly, and have at it man. "This is too much bike for me" said no one, ever! :ogbiggrin:

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
At the other end of the travel spectrum, I'll be selling my lightly-used Trek Top Fuel 9.9 in XL.

For a bunch of boring reasons, I'm not getting along with shorter travel like I used to.

But the bike is a rocket.

TS
dovski

dovski

Skier
At the other end of the travel spectrum, I'll be selling my lightly-used Trek Top Fuel 9.9 in XL.

For a bunch of boring reasons, I'm not getting along with shorter travel like I used to.

But the bike is a rocket.
Nice we picked up a Trek Top Fuel 9.8 this summer with a ton of upgrades for my wife. The bike is feather light and super fast, it is now hard to keep up with her.

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
We have one guy that has an SB100, a 130 and a 150 (among others) all with X0 AXS of course. He says he is pretty much fastest on his 100 all the time. But... he has the most fun on the 150 and pretty much rides it all the time.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We have one guy that has an SB100, a 130 and a 150 (among others) all with X0 AXS of course. He says he is pretty much fastest on his 100 all the time. But... he has the most fun on the 150 and pretty much rides it all the time.

This makes sense to me, but for some strange reason, I'm almost always faster on my longer-travel Fuel EX than my short travel Top Fuel.

But most of my rides are on what would be considered at least semi-rugged trails.

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
This makes sense to me, but for some strange reason, I'm almost always faster on my longer-travel Fuel EX than my short travel Top Fuel.

But most of my rides are on what would be considered at least semi-rugged trails.

Yeah, I hear ya. I took advantage of the demo fleet this year and my rode my usual hour loop every morning with the Yeti SB 100 and 115 and with the Ibis Ripley, and was faster both up and down on my 150/160 Evil Insurgent (even with it's slack by current standards seat tube). Faster by 3-4 minutes over 55 minutes.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah, I hear ya. I took advantage of the demo fleet this year and my rode my usual hour loop every morning with the Yeti SB 100 and 115 and with the Ibis Ripley, and was faster both up and down on my 150/160 Evil Insurgent (even with it's slack by current standards seat tube). Faster by 3-4 minutes over 55 minutes.

Crazy, right? I've actually decided to sell the Top Fuel, since the Fuel EX is as fast or faster for me, and enough smoother that I'm noticeably less fatigued after long rides. Also, I'm no longer actively racing........I think. :ogbiggrin:

TS
dovski

dovski

Skier
Crazy, right? I've actually decided to sell the Top Fuel, since the Fuel EX is as fast or faster for me, and enough smoother that I'm noticeably less fatigued after long rides. Also, I'm no longer actively racing........I think. :ogbiggrin:
Funny, I got a Trek Top fuel 9.8 SL for my wife but it was upgraded to Fox factory shocks and SRAM Eagle XO drive train. Pretty much the perfect bike for her and weighs all of 22 lbs. It is now hard to keep up with her though I am hoping the move to 29" wheels on the Yeti helps close that gap :)

TS
dovski

dovski

Skier
So the guy I am buying my SB 150 from asked that I give him something for collateral while I go on my test ride tomorrow before we seal the deal - seems he has had a previous bike stolen that way so I totally get where he is coming from. My response was I will be leaving at least one of my kids in the car right next to you do they count as collateral :roflmao:

Sponsor

Staff online