• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

You can always find me....

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
Just look for smoke...

IMG_8325.JPG

And a brown sleepy dog...

IMG_8336.JPG

When duck hunting sucks, I can always depend on the food to be good.

IMG_8641.JPG

IMG_8618.JPG

IMG_8661.JPG

Day 2 still no ducks....
IMG_8683.JPG

IMG_8813.JPG

IMG_8815.JPG

Final touches...
IMG_8826.JPG

IMG_8849.JPG

Ever noticed the wings, or hot dogs, that fall all off the grill and into the fire are always the best, extra crunchy.... :ogbiggrin:

IMG_8869.JPG

Can't forget desert, pork chops... :golfclap:

IMG_8887.JPG

Last edited:
TS
Tex

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
Food looks great but cover is a bit thin.
Ha ha, don't hunt where I camp. I actually found some ducks on the 28th (Thursday) scouting, scouted the whole lake only found them in one spot. In the morning, had several things that gave me a bad vibe. 1) sprong a leak in my good warm 5mm waders scouting, had to switch to back up not as good, not as safe, did not like that. 2) my phone started acting up, I think it might have just been cold, I will not head out dark 30 with no phone...3) the final straw, I started to head out, motor dies about 100 yards from ramp and will not start, so I paddle back to the boat ramp. I got my motor running and think I figured out the problem, but that freaked me out. So I did not hunt that morning and decided to check out another lake, and no ducks at the next lake either, so just camped, slept in, and snuggled with my dog all morning. :ogbiggrin:

Last edited:

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Nice shallow drive! Mud Buddy?

Reactions: Tex

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Ha ha, don't hunt where I camp. I actually found some ducks on the 28th (Thursday) scouting, scouted the whole lake only found them in one spot. I
Not that kind of cover, dude.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Ha ha, don't hunt where I camp. I actually found some ducks on the 28th (Thursday) scouting, scouted the whole lake only found them in one spot. In the morning, had several things that gave me a bad vibe. 1) sprong a leak in my good warm 5mm waders scouting, had to switch to back up not as good, not as safe, did not like that. 2) my phone started acting up, I think it might have just been cold, I will not head out dark 30 with no phone...3) the final straw, I started to head out, motor dies about 100 yards from ramp and will not start, so I paddle back to the boat ramp. I got my motor running and think I figured out the problem, but that freaked me out. So I did not hunt that morning and decided to check out another lake, and no ducks at the next lake either, so just camped, slept in, and snuggled with my dog all morning. :ogbiggrin:
Good call; the last thing you want to hear is that little voice inside your head saying, "I told you so."

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
TS
Tex

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
Its more than snow cover, a complete freeze over is needed. And its needed north of where I'm hunting, not where I'm hunting. Where I hunt in north Texas and southern Oklahoma, I need all the northern states to freeze over. When all the water holes north of me freezes over, that makes the ducks migrate south. I need the freeze line to stretch down thru Kansas, that would push all ducks into my hunting spots. As it is, most ducks stop in Kansas.

Last weekend was the last weekend of the duck hunting season in Texas and Oklahoma. I haven't duck hunted all season because of a messed up shoulder, I been rehabbing it since October, and got a cortisone shot few weeks ago. I went 2 weekends ago with my friends and did not even take my gun, just wanted to let my dog fetch some ducks. My shoulder still not quite right yet, so probably a good thing the duck hunting sucked.

But I don't need to shoot ducks to have fun, its about the adventure.

TS
Tex

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
The good thing about not catching a lot of fish is that you don’t have to clean a lot of fish.
D0C52E82-F5E6-4F21-9CE4-BF1ACB65332D.jpeg

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The good thing about not catching a lot of fish is that you don’t have to clean a lot of fish.
View attachment 137969
The crappies look good, Tex, but the beer has to go, and what's with the electric filet knife?

TS
Tex

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
The crappies look good, Tex, but the beer has to go, and what's with the electric filet knife?
That's my wife's beer, I'm stealing from her stash. And yes I'm pro technology, if you know a better electric filet knife let me know. I did not know I made this fishing post on this thread, dang getting old is a bitch. This thread gets me excited about hunting season, I miss out Nov thru Jan last year with shoulder injury.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I miss out Nov thru Jan last year with shoulder injury.

What happened to you shoulder? Fish puttin up to much of a fight?

I hope your shoulder is doing better, Tex.

TS
Tex

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
What happened to you shoulder? Fish puttin up to much of a fight?

I hope your shoulder is doing better, Tex.
I got “frozen shoulder” right before ducking season, cortisone shot in January I wax able to hunt least week of season I made this post put did find any ducks, but it was fun camping and hanging out with my dog.

TS
Tex

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
Blue wing teal season opener today. Runs Sept. 11 thru Sep 26 this year in Texas.

This is some good eating...I'll post some duck cook pics later.....This is Tara my girl, lit up and on fire this girl...She loves her job...

2021-09-11 - BWT.jpeg

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Love teal. Small but sooo tasty!

TS
Tex

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
Love teal. Small but sooo tasty!
I only shoot the tasty ducks, Andy. The bad tasting ducks, I let them pass, I tell them to move on keep going south and no one gets hurt. The good tasting ducks, well I'm sorry, not my fault God made you tasty.

A good tasting duck, just needs a little salt and pepper. I like to leave the skin on, cast iron, fat/skin side down mainly, try to rinder that duck fat. Normally I cook on a higher heat to get more caramelization, but I been experimenting with lower heat to see if it renders that duck fat better...These are 3 blue winged teal I cooked last night..

IMG_0536.JPG

IMG_0537.JPG
IMG_0541.JPG
IMG_0545e.jpg

Cooked med to med rare is how I like it, just like my steak. That layer of duck fat on top, burst with flavor like you never had!!!

IMG_0555.JPG

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online