• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

You can't make this stuff up: Crazy stories ripped from the headlines

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, you do need to add some air once in a while.

James

Out There
Instructor
Well, you do need to add some air once in a while.
B5D62A31-176C-478E-BD7A-3934E5E54307.jpeg

Note the cutout in the cover for the valve.

James

Out There
Instructor
Oh, I did. I'm just amazed about how much more work it was to make the cut-outs vs putting the cover on correctly.
Well to be fair the cover could be bolted on with the lug nuts. So changing the misalignment requires a jack, a lug wrench, blah blah blah. As they say, laziness is the mother of invention. Only here the invention is just a monument to poor assembly.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Well to be fair the cover could be bolted on with the lug nuts. So changing the misalignment requires a jack, a lug wrench, blah blah blah. As they say, laziness is the mother of invention. Only here the invention is just a monument to poor assembly.
Yes, but it has been years or even decades since manufacturers have used the lug nuts to hold on the hubcaps.

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
Yes, but it has been years or even decades since manufacturers have used the lug nuts to hold on the hubcaps.

Well, 2 years. 2019 Kia Niro has lug nuts holding on the hubcap (in addition to snapping features). I know because I just put the snow tires/wheels on.

Looks like a design flaw to me. It should either be designed with 5 stem access holes (to allow stem access regardless of installation orientation). OR It should only be allowed to go on in the correct position. (e.g. By having the stem so long that it MUST go through the hole or the hubcap is prevented from seating onto the wheel).

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Well, 2 years. 2019 Kia Niro has lug nuts holding on the hubcap (in addition to snapping features). I know because I just put the snow tires/wheels on.

Looks like a design flaw to me. It should either be designed with 5 stem access holes (to allow stem access regardless of installation orientation). OR It should only be allowed to go on in the correct position. (e.g. By having the stem so long that it MUST go through the hole or the hubcap is prevented from seating onto the wheel).
Does the lugnut have to come off to release the hubcap or are there clips that just grab on to the the lugnut? I have seen those with clips that grab on to the lugnut just not the type that you have to remove the lugnut to get the hubcap off.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Truly, we have achieved apex absurdity!

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
CNN: Maryland homeowners burned down their home while attempting to rid the house of snakes.

The Seattle Times: Maryland homeowner uses smoke to battle snakes, burns down house.

Last edited:

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
CNN: Maryland homeowners burned down their home while attempting to rid the house of snakes.

The Seattle Times: Maryland homeowner uses smoke to battle snakes, burns down house.
1638664955549.png

John Webb

mdskier
Skier

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
Today this guy defies death not once but twice.

He takes off from a LA area airport in a private plane.
The engine dies on takeoff and he puts down on nearby train tracks.
Cops from station near the accident run over to the scene.
Cops contact railroad to stop trains - message does not get to trains.
Pilot is injured, cops are waiting for medic but see a high speed train coming.

Cops in seconds pull the guy out and everyone runs.
3 seconds later the train, with horns blowing demolishes the airplane !

Video is here:

Sponsor