• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

You can't make this stuff up: Crazy stories ripped from the headlines

Turoa Kiwi

JH
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah .That sounds like a great idea for an anti drug campaign.......
1670204667859.png

James

Out There
Instructor
Don’t pour gasoline on a smoldering fire!

————-
“She put another log on the fire. She poured the gas into it, and it ignited and blew the can up in her hands which caused her to run, panic. She actually stopped, dropped and rolled like you are supposed to,” said Jeff.

Jeff said his wife suffered burns on nearly 100% of her body. She died three days following the accident. Nicole’s 11-year-old son was severely injured in the accident.
———————-

John Webb

mdskier
Skier

————-
“She put another log on the fire. She poured the gas into it, and it ignited and blew the can up in her hands which caused her to run, panic. She actually stopped, dropped and rolled like you are supposed to,” said Jeff.

Jeff said his wife suffered burns on nearly 100% of her body. She died three days following the accident. Nicole’s 11-year-old son was severely injured in the accident.
———————-
Too late for a Darwin Award. She has already reproduced.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Playing with fire can be fun, but it's dangerous.
It's best to keep the gas can (be it gasoline or camp fuel (white gas), far away from the fire, use a secondary container with a small amount in proximity to the fire.
Also note: vapours extend much farther than the liquid you see.
Also also note: the emptier the gas can, the more dangerous.
On second thought, don't play with fire.

James

Out There
Instructor
Playing with fire can be fun, but it's dangerous.
It's best to keep the gas can (be it gasoline or camp fuel (white gas), far away from the fire, use a secondary container with a small amount in proximity to the fire.
Also note: vapours extend much farther than the liquid you see.
Also also note: the emptier the gas can, the more dangerous.
On second thought, don't play with fire.
When the neighbor’s kid shows up to borrow some gasoline for the barbecue, don’t give it to them.
When I was like 15, a friend and I were trying to light the barbecue. I can’t remember what was the deal with the coals, but I guess they weren’t lighting. So, having neither lighter fluid nor gasoline, we had the brilliant idea of going to the neighbor’s house to borrow some.

It’s not like I knew them, I’m not sure I’d ever even met them, we had recently moved in. So we show up at the door asking for gasoline. I think, I honestly can’t remember, I would hope we asked for lighter fluid first, and the gasoline was the neighbor’s idea, but I doubt it. All I remember is we came away with like an old galvanized pitcher filled with gasoline.

I also remember the huge fireball that erupted when we lit the grill. Scary. Never again!

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
My father used to use gasoline sometimes instead of lighter fluid. He also tended to leave the grill out in the weather (this was early 60's BTW). One time he put the briquets into the grill, poured some gas on them, and then lit it (he was careful...stood a distance away and threw the lit match). The bottom of the grill had rusted out ALMOST to the point of disintegration...and when the flames went "woomph", the bottom fell out and the flaming briquets fell to the ground. That had eveyone laughing their a$$ off :roflmao:

wiread

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I was 11, about a week or 2 before Christmas and couldn't get our wood stove going when my brother and I got home from school. We lived in a tiny crap hole of a house in a neighborhood built in a prior wetland I swear. Basement was wet year round. which was a blessing and a curse. Well because it was wet, It was always a PITA to start the woodstove if it went out. Had to stack everything on pallets to keep off floor.

So, I remembered my dad had a steam engine (model) in their closet with some stuff that burned well with just a little bit. I went up grabbed the can and went back to the basement to get this baby lit, we're cold. must've caught some old burning embers from paper and fumes came back on fire, outside of the can was on fire and I dropped it and it spread all over the floor and under our pallet of saved newspapers for starting the fire. It was Denatured alcohol that I used.

Luckily my 6 year old brother and I were able to fire brigade that sucker out with old ice cream pails and a pot. everything being so wet calmed the flames some i'm sure, but it had blackened the floor boards above and filled the house with smoke. Called my grandparents when it was out and they came over. I still can't believe we got that fire out. I was sure there was no way Santa was going to find me that year

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

————-

———————-

Sad for the family. An extremely hard way to learn a lesson. Having witnessed a gas vapor explosion, gasoline is nothing to mess with.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

Sponsor

Staff online