• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

You can't make this stuff up: Crazy stories ripped from the headlines

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
How many laps/beers to a mile?
my race was 1.1 miles in a single big loop, with 5 beer stations along the way. 12 oz beer at each.
The next to last was at the bottom of a steep hill.

The current competition seems to be 4 beers. they measure the discarded cans... Averaging more than one ounce per beer left is a DQ

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Several posts deleted... this is not a place to debate vaccines and/or COVID even if there was an interesting headline. Thank you.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This is not a humorous story but if I were to read the title to my friends it would sound naughty
(as opposed to gnaw-ty)

James

Out There
Instructor
I’ve heard in Dillon, Co the foxes will play with a local dog before making them a meal.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
I’ve heard in Dillon, Co the foxes will play with a local dog before making them a meal.
It is fairly common for a single coyote to start to play with a smallish dog and then lead the dog to where the other coyotes are waiting for an ambush.

Also on B.C.s west coast where large bald eagles (6'+ wingspan) are fairly common, it is not unusual for an eagle to grab a small dog.

One time when I was working at a dryland log sort, some deer with small fawns wandered onto the paved dryland deck. The front end loader operators knew there was an eagle nest in the tall trees standing beside the sort so they got together in their machines and herded the deer off the wide open sort and into the cover of the standing forest beside the sort so the eagles could not get the fawns.

Last edited:

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
House hit by meteorite. Nevada County, CA

If there are any meteorite fragments on the property, aren't they worth serious $$?

James

Out There
Instructor
If there are any meteorite fragments on the property, aren't they worth serious $$?
Meaning he’ll come out even?
Is a house being smote by a meteorite an “act of god” and not covered?

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Depends on what they're made of and how big they are... they're always worth something, but it might not be large sums. It certainly may not be worth nearly the value of the house if it's not large and rare (it's not likely to be too large, given that the whole piece of property isn't a smoking crater).

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Is a house being smote by a meteorite an “act of god” and not covered?
The actual damage done by the collision of the meteorite and the house might not be covered by insurance but the resultant fire damage to the house and their furniture and belongings might be covered.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Daily Mail: Teenage thief, 17, knocks himself out by running into glass door as he tries to flee LV $18,000.

The girls apparently knew how to use a door.

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
This happened 10 miles from my home ! Gasp Gasp Gasp

They say odds are 1 in 4 trillion !! the owner of the house survived with 1 of his 2 dogs.
He said he should have bought tickets to the $2 billion Powerball lottery. Better odds: 1 in 300 million !
Interesting that insurance might not cover damage from the strike but might cover resulting fire damage.
The fire started on the front porch. Most of the damage was due to fire burning the house down.
There is a goFundme sight set up to help this guy.

Btw The Powerball was won late last night by someone in AltaDena Calif. which is next to Pasadena.

James

Out There
Instructor
A big Nope for his video. He has no evidence either way, and is just throwing stats at it. The distance away of fireballs in sky from observers is interesting, but vague. May or not be relevant in this case.

He could be right, we don’t know yet.

locknload

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Daily Mail: Teenage thief, 17, knocks himself out by running into glass door as he tries to flee LV $18,000.

The girls apparently knew how to use a door.
There's a great "Curb Your Enthusiasm" episode involving the very same thing..not the theft but the Larry running into a glass door. Lol.

Sponsor

Staff online