• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Your car is your Baselodge

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Ive seen a lot of people on hikes use their backpack side bottle holders with metal water bottles some extremely large bottles. But ive not seen it so much in skiing/cold.
Having a solid metal cylinder seems on your back seems ike a bad idea when skiing. Should you fall on it it is going to hurt. Or carrying on the lifts is very awkward.
Some people carrying cans in their backpacks Ive seen a few inadvertently punctures/beerdeaths and the skier now has a wet backpack and beer pants and smells like stale beer for the rest of the day. So its not foolproof to carry metal cylinders of liquid while skiing.

Depards on the pack's back panel construction. If you take a hard fall on a angular rock, I can also see the combination of a hard surface and softer back panel material absorbing and distributing force.

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
No change for this season for this person as I only tend to go into lodges for restroom use and instead do everything out in parking lots of my 2007 Forester. Kirkwood as a remote resort always has had good numbers of tail gaters. And note there is not an issue with vehicle exhaust as few have any reason to run their engine during lunch that would be a noisy annoyance. Yes there are always a few passing cars and resort vehicles driving by but that is not like early morning when everyone is driving in as parking lots fill.

As someone that does landscape photography outside winter rarely staying in motels, am often disperse camping in remote areas where one needs to be fully self contained. The Forester is also set up in the rear bed to sleep inside which I prefer in winter. Note as a backpacker, I get plenty of nights each year sleeping in a tent outside. During winter occasionally do so to save a few bucks before first days of skiing but one has to know where such is legal, be prepared for cold, and avoid doing so in serious storms.

With my healthy fit orientation, have never been much of a meat eater and tend to eat lightly during ski days and then eat a lot evenings. I do sometimes heat up soup for lunch that is trivial in parking lots minus foul weather besides one vehicle, if one knows how to run a backpacking stove. Of course more serious tail gaters have heavy duty camping stoves. In winter never bring a cooler as I rarely drink alcohol and something like a carton of milk or juice will stay reasonably cool just laid beneath a down sleeping bag. I already have too much stuff in pockets so try to limit such while skiing. Thus if I do bring say a sandwich up on slopes am likely to stash it in the woods somewhere beneath snow that is easy. Am an expert haha at hidden densely forested realms.

Last edited:

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
I never carry a pack skiing a resort. I've seen too many issues on lifts and I'm not taking it off on every lift ride. I also don't leave things in the lodge (without a locker) since a buddy's stuff disappeared. If it doesn't fit in my pockets it doesn't come with me.

I'd agree if you are in MI. The formula changes when ypu have thousands of vertical, and thousands of acres, where a trip back to the car might be several lifts and 45 minutes.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
if one knows how to run a backpacking stove. Of course more serious tail gaters have heavy duty camping stoves.
There is a middle ground with foodservice style canned butane tabletop stoves like you see for asian Hot Pot or catering tableside service. These are push button to light and extremely easy to use. butane works well at most altitude without fiddling just like a lighter. These should only be around $20-$40 to get started. The canned fuel is wasteful, but since this is only for occasional use this is minimized.
You are right though there is still a knowledge barrier and the typical unknowing guest will also be unaware or can't be bothered for this cheaper/easier but bulkier option.

Last edited:

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
I'd agree if you are in MI. The formula changes when ypu have thousands of vertical, and thousands of acres, where a trip back to the car might be several lifts and 45 minutes.
True. But if I'm skiing on piste even in the Rockies I still dont carry a pack. Occasionally with a group in the spring I'll bury a pack full of beer but then only wear it skiing on the last run or two.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
How about the lodge setting up drone delivery of cheeseburger and beer packages?
1606077395480.png

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Wind Management is the biggest issue we tend to deal with when hanging at the gate. Same problem happens at the beach. Commissioned a local seamstress to construct a canvas wind block. Lack of sun in November is hard to fix.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Come to NE so you can do that when it's cloudy, windy, cold and sleeting. Gonna be a fun season if I really get to ski.
Gee..you are making hard not to come back with glowing praise like that.

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
With the weather being Tahoe-like it has been fine. Once things change, I don't thnk it will be as much fun.
View attachment 115699
lol. Yeah when it is snowing like crazy, and you just need to dry off a bit, your car as a base lodge will not be much fun. If it is not snowing, but just cold, a propane heater will getter done. I love camping in the winter in Texas duck hunting, I would like to try it sking. I have a camper on my truck, got a nice memory foam mattress and decked out and carpeted roof for more insulation...But I have been wanting a tent, that would be easy to set up, but would attach to the back of my truck opened up like your pic above, effectively extending a covered area. A propane heater in set up like this would be great, I have looked all over for a tent like this, I cannot find it. I have found some websites that make custom tents, I'm looking into that.

CraigBro

Getting on the lift
Skier
I ski resorts with a backpack, so I have a thermos of coffee, salami, hard cheese and trail mix, as well as extra layers and gloves and such. I treat it like a backside mission, even bringing the skins some days. I like finding a spot in the woods for a snack, and watching people fly by. Oh, ALWAYS, turn the backpack around and secure buckles and straps on lifts, or risk embarrasment and injury. I learned the hard way and got off with just a bruised knee and pride.

Having AT boots with lugged soles means the walk across icy parking lots and up to the lift is not too bad. I just got a new pack that can carry skis/poles and helmet, but previously I just carried them by hand.

Big issue for me is that the lift riding and hours of exposure without the exertion result in really cold feet. That is what drove me into the lodge previously -- well that, and on some lazy days my addiction to fried food and beer....

Lucky for me my buddy has a condo I can ski to at the base of the local mountain where I spend most of my time, so I can warm up there. 8^)

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
lol. Yeah when it is snowing like crazy, and you just need to dry off a bit, your car as a base lodge will not be much fun. If it is not snowing, but just cold, a propane heater will getter done. I love camping in the winter in Texas duck hunting, I would like to try it sking. I have a camper on my truck, got a nice memory foam mattress and decked out and carpeted roof for more insulation...But I have been wanting a tent, that would be easy to set up, but would attach to the back of my truck opened up like your pic above, effectively extending a covered area. A propane heater in set up like this would be great, I have looked all over for a tent like this, I cannot find it. I have found some websites that make custom tents, I'm looking into that.
Leave the gun, take the cannolli. Truck campers are really good to have just for chasing storms ski season. Now, I bet we'll see lots more of them until the lodges open back up..

Reactions: Tex

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
Now, I bet we'll see lots more of them until the lodges open back up..
We already have at LL. It has been kind of a mess. There are WAAAAAY more campers in the parking lot mixed in with cars, which really screws up the parking. There are so many that need to designate a parking area for campers, mini motorhomes, and RVs.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Ha ha, I don't mind leaving my gun at home, leaving my hunting buddy at home will be tough!
View attachment 115721
View attachment 115726
My daughter has trained her black lab to retrieve ducks and goes hunting with her fiancée outside Pittsburgh. Not a major flyway, so only one retrieval for the dog so far and no ducks for her.

Reactions: Tex

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
With the weather being Tahoe-like it has been fine. Once things change, I don't thnk it will be as much fun.
I've only booted up in a lodge a handful of times in my life because it's just a hassle to haul or unload everything. Booting up behind the car is so much easier and faster. Even if it's windy and below zero it's not too bad if I get back in the car with the heat on for a few minutes to warm the fingers and put on the mask, helmet & goggles. But then again if you're from MI you grow up tough...

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
I've only booted up in a lodge a handful of times in my life because it's just a hassle to haul or unload everything. Booting up behind the car is so much easier and faster. Even if it's windy and below zero it's not too bad if I get back in the car with the heat on for a few minutes to warm the fingers and put on the mask, helmet & goggles. But then again if you're from MI you grow up tough...
Try growing up in Wyoming...

Sponsor

Staff online