• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Your car is your Baselodge

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
At the risk of repetition from other threads (and it's the very reason I had brought it up in the first place), a potty!!! I can change, boot up, maybe even heat up a lunch on a cold day (admittedly that would require me to bring my camping stove, but hey, not necessarily a bad idea, especially if the food is hot-ish already from a Thermos), crack open something for après, etc. etc. - basically with the exception of the potty, I could be 100% lodge independent.
C08B9681-8982-478D-918C-FB88A613E158.jpeg

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Yes, we have all used our vehicle to boot up at one time or another but I have become spoiled in my old age that I like to use the lodge. That was before I had a heated boot bag. I picked up a heated bag at the end of last season so I do have options this coming season. Also the new vehicle has both a 12V and 120V outlet so this offers additional options. No decision about what I will do this coming season yet but I have plenty of masks and options plus a couple of months to figure it out. Definitely will look for suggestions here and try to get a working solution. Thanks in advance for all the information as we go forward.

Ski&ride

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
No decision about what I will do this coming season yet but I have plenty of masks and options plus a couple of months to figure it out. Definitely will look for suggestions here and try to get a working solution.
For those who don’t buy a season pass, or who already bought but with full refund options, time is a nice luxury to be able to wait and see how things shape up.

For those who are contemplating buying or not buying a pass that’s not fully refundable, time isn’t a string that stretches. By NOT buying, they’re effectively writing off next season.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Remove the side by side, add skis and snow, and we're in business!
View attachment 108371
YAY Cornhole!
I know there's some humorous hyperbole going on here but how hard is this? It's booting up for skiing not running a bio-pharmaceutical manufacturing sterile lab.

Ladies if your modesty prevents a trip into the woods for No 1s, and everyone for No 2s you're just going to have to brave whatever facilities are available or stay home (how on earth have people been managing for decades when out for hikes etc?). The rest - I'm sure everyone has booted up at a tailgate at least once in their lives. Did the world end?

Yep especially when remote parking (or looking at you Northstar - remote gondolaing to where the skiing really starts) I'm a fan of shuttling in sneakers and booting up at the lodge, but i could survive. I'd be way more concerned about shuttle buses for all the resorts that have marginalised drive-in skiers than the odd restroom visit.
I liked your post because I'm of a similar mindset.
I'm more worried about the bus ride with the vacationers who brought their sick kid on vacation because they didn't want to miss out, than I am about the bathroom.
But c'mon man, you gotta give Andy points for corn hole.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Ladies if your modesty prevents a trip into the woods for No 1s, and everyone for No 2s you're just going to have to brave whatever facilities are available or stay home (how on earth have people been managing for decades when out for hikes etc?).

I'm not as concerned about modesty but squatting in deep unconsolidated snow with the number and types of layers to be dealt with isn't easy.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
There will be a lot of Cat Tracks sold this winter.

While the latest research on neck gaiters serving as face masks is open to too much interpretation based on the range of fabrics used, I can just imagine the conversations within the halls of those brands. They probably ordered tens of thousands of meters of material, only to see the bubble burst.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Thought of this a couple of weeks ago. Hard pass, unless the typical resort parking strategy increases the spacing of cars (therefore reducing the total attendance), these take up too much real estate to see them as a possibility without issue.
The popup-tent-attached-to-hatchback just needs to be parked with the RVs....problem solved.

Ski&ride

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
While the latest research on neck gaiters serving as face masks is open to too much interpretation based on the range of fabrics used, I can just imagine the conversations within the halls of those brands. They probably ordered tens of thousands of meters of material, only to see the bubble burst.
There’s no such thing as a “bubble” any more. Modern manufacturing is more about nimble adaptation to the market.

Mass production by oversea cheap labor has already run its course. Brands that see it coming are in better position to move into the next age of industrial revolution and capture the market

Last edited:

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I'd be way more concerned about shuttle buses for all the resorts that have marginalised drive-in skiers than the odd restroom visit.
+1

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
According to a skier in New Zealand posting on another site, there are signs all over the mountain proclaiming YOUR CAR IS YOUR BASELODGE.

Confess I am not looking forward to that AT ALL. To me skiing is a leisure activity, not a second job; I like the creature comforts. Been through this before, but all the folks saying operating from their cars is no big deal - 80% of you are from places with much friendlier climates. Less mud, less rain, less humidity, less parking-lot sheet ice, fewer below-zero days, and a LOT more effective sun. RV idea sure is appealing, but not in the budget, I'm afraid.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
RV idea sure is appealing, but not in the budget, I'm afraid.
What about renting a small RV or van? Rvs are in demand now but might be less so in winter, but then RVs are not so great on snowy roads unless we are talking about 4x4 truck campers or MB and Ford awd vans.