• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Your car is your Baselodge

Bill Miles

Old Man Groomer Zoomer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
To an engineer, If it ain't broken just means it doesn't have enough features yet.
We can always find ever more complicate ways to accomplish simple tasks.
We can also elect to accomplish simple tasks, simply.

In the aircraft world the saying was that it is time to make the engineers stop redesigning and fly the airplane.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
A few years back we decided we'd try not to make "old people" noises when getting on and off the lift, putting boots on or taking them off, etc. This year that ship has sailed.
My son sometimes calls me out for OMG - old man grunts.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Now try it with a beer gut simulation pillow ;)
@Andy Mink was commenting on how much easier it is to get boots on and off after losing a few
A few years back we decided we'd try not to make "old people" noises when getting on and off the lift, putting boots on or taking them off, etc. This year that ship has sailed.
Hey now. My only goal was to not make old peole noises getting on and off the lift. Your goals of also not making them seemed difficult. @Stephen's goals to not make them at all are unattainable.

snwbrdr

Out on the slopes
Skier
With one of these:

Untitled by thisistan, on Flickr

folding down the rear seat to sleep in a 17 deg sleeping bag with a fleece liner it was pretty hot in 20 degree weather, with the rear windows cracked open (within the vent visor)....could have been even warmer if I remembered my sleeping pad, but I'm also too tall for the cargo area.

changing into my base layer and bibs... it felt like I was in my backpacking tent, in terms of height inside.

My socially distanced lunch prep
Untitled by thisistan, on Flickr

Errand Wolfe

Ski like Stein
Skier
I've posted this several pages ago but i think it is worth repeating: If I didn't have a truck camper I would have one of those pop-up insulated ice fishing tents. Takes seconds to set up and you have and instant change room: really cold day, then add a portable Buddy propane heater

Yeah! I bought one a couple of weeks ago for those reasons. It's bulky but super easy to set up and take down. Haven't used it enough to give a review. I think it'll also be used for winter camping, camp kitchen, and maybe an other camping gear shed.

nemesis256

Patrick
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've seen multiple people bring some type of foldable chair with them for putting their boots on. The type (formerly) used at big events, camping type chairs, even step stools.

mister moose

Instigator
Skier
Ok people, I'm not excessively tall but I have 34-in. inseam (or is it 35) and can put my pants AND boots on in the car, in the driver's seat. I drive with my baselayer on, that's comfy! (Of course, maybe all that contortioning is why my knees suck so bad...)
Yeah, but what model car are we talking about? (Asking for a friend)

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I hate having to walk so far to the lift. With @Philpug and @Tricia at Mt. Rose.

20201221_114820.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
That looks like the Slide Mt side? Are you noticing a difference between the two bases?
Yes this is the Slide side. Shorter lines today than main side. It's usually hit or miss as to whether Slide has lines or not. There is limited terrain still on Slide while Rose main is pretty much all open. Also, the weekday+Sunday passes are blacked out this week and next so lines overall weren't bad.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
I hate having to walk so far to the lift. With @Pgilpug and @Tricia at Mt. Rose.
View attachment 118500
See that piece of fencing that the skis are resting on? Well we used to have something like that at SP and when my friend (honest, it wasn't me) would show up late, he would move the fence over to give himself room to "legally" park. The parking staff eventually caught on to his little trick and so then they would spray paint the snow/ground at the base of the fence so they would know if the fence had been moved. Notes left on the windshield warning about getting towed would follow.

Reactions: Ogg

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
See that piece of fencing that the skis are resting on? Well we used to have something like that at SP and when my friend (honest, it wasn't me) would show up late, he would move the fence over to give himself room to "legally" park. The parking staff eventually caught on to his little trick and so then they would spray paint the snow/ground at the base of the fence so they would know if the fence had been moved. Notes left on the windshield warning about getting towed would follow.
I was going to ask if they painted over the handicapped parking lines or put fake ones down previously and peeled them up when they got there. :huh: :roflmao:

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
My friend has a Mercedes SLK and there is very little ability for seat adjustment. It's like the Germans have figured out the proper seating position and significant readjustment is not tolerated or permitted. :duck:

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
My friend has a Mercedes SLK and there is very little ability for seat adjustment. It's like the Germans have figured out the proper seating position and significant readjustment is not tolerated or permitted. :duck:

lol, this is true. A lot of is for safety as the airbags and complementary safety systems in Germany can be designed to be very effective with much smaller system, less materials, less cost, and less ambiguity; IF and only if the operator reads the vehicle Operating Manual, follows the car operating procedures, and is in the designated pre-crash body position...which of course they do.

Sponsor

Staff online