• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Your car is your Baselodge

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Sometimes pulling in at 10:45 means someone who got there at 8 is pulling out. ;)
Down here the attendents won't let people roll up and troll for people leaving. They wave you to the spots in the area they are working and ask for justification to go up closer to the base.. Usually gear drop would work, or picking up someone. But, just rolling around looking for a closer spot or someone leaving isn't allowed around here.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Down here the attendents won't let people roll up and troll for people leaving. They wave you to the spots in the area they are working and ask for justification to go up closer to the base.. Usually gear drop would work, or picking up someone. But, just rolling around looking for a closer spot or someone leaving isn't allowed around here.

Doubt those stay open for the rest of the day. We had to clean for guests in the am and got a 5th row spot at 10:30.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
That's unfortunate for you ;)

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
That's unfortunate for you ;)
Doubt those stay open for the rest of the day. We had to clean for guests in the am and got a 5th row spot at 10:30.

I suspect they save them for people they know..
7D0A8C376B68D9E508D833FB58608B4E7E7E4415

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
It sounds like it sucks to be a skier(amongst other things) in the land of dixie.

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
IF and only if the operator reads the vehicle Operating Manual, follows the car operating procedures, and is in the designated pre-crash body position...

Errand Wolfe

Ski like Stein
Skier

LOL thats how Coloradans and Californians do it all day every day, at the grocery store, going out to dinner, and of course skiing! But seriously it drives me crazy and I wish it was not allowed here.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
LOL thats how Coloradans and Californians do it all day every day, at the grocery store, going out to dinner, and of course skiing! But seriously it drives me crazy and I wish it was not allowed here.
I worked at county parks for years and it always made me wonder about the people coming to ride, walk, run, or hike who had to wait for the spot closest to the start of the trailhead. I guess that extra 100' would totally wear them out before they did their exercise!

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier

I'd actually observed the reverse as it goes for CA chain controls. Most CA drivers that are not experienced and need to chainup, panic way to early when they see someone putting on chains so they pull off behind them to chain up, and the next new person pulls behind them and so on, until pretty soon people are chaining up a good 3miles before the actual checkpoint. Meanwhile the checkpoint area with extra shoulder and plenty of flat lighted space is sparsely occupied.

In general, this shows me the opposite and the power of social cues and most people do what they see others doing. It is more the outlier that where a person ignore the cue and ignores the social norm.

I don't known why you picked out CA and CO, there are these people everywhere. If I'm going to stereotype I would have started with a different feature that matches the entitled over homestate.

Last edited:

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I worked at county parks for years and it always made me wonder about the people coming to ride, walk, run, or hike who had to wait for the spot closest to the start of the trailhead. I guess that extra 100' would totally wear them out before they did their exercise!
Oh come on... more like an extra half mile hauling ski gear.. uphill..

Errand Wolfe

Ski like Stein
Skier
I'd actually observed the reverse as it goes for CA chain controls. Most CA drivers that are not experienced and need to chainup, panic way to early when they see someone putting on chains so they pull off behind them to chain up, and the next new person pulls behind them and so on, until pretty soon people are chaining up a good 3miles before the actual checkpoint. Meanwhile the checkpoint area with extra shoulder and plenty of flat lighted space is sparsely occupied.

In general, this shows me the opposite and the power of social cues and most people do what they see others doing. It is more the outlier that where a person ignore the cue and what seems to be the social norm.

I don't known why you picked out CA and CO, there are these people everywhere. If I'm a stereotyper I would have started with a different feature that matches the entitled over homestate.

I was commenting on the places I have experience. And yes there is some of both going on. I see people park along the Jane Road when there are spaces open in the lots below at Mary Jane but I was commenting more on peak times when people just circle the lots looking for spots instead of taking a spot a little bit further away and getting to it.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

snwbrdr

Out on the slopes
Skier

In general, this shows me the opposite and the power of social cues and most people do what they see others doing. It is more the outlier that where a person ignore the cue and ignores the social norm.

I don't known why you picked out CA and CO, there are these people everywhere. If I'm going to stereotype I would have started with a different feature that matches the entitled over homestate.
That's a bold assumption, assuming they carry chains in the first place. Coastal Californians thinks they can ignore the chain laws to begin with.

Over the weekend, at Tahoe, I saw a guy driving a G-wagen with summer tires... good thing it wasn't cold during the day or snowing... because I would have laughed my ass off watching a guy driving a $100K plus vehicle with 4WD, struggling for traction to accelerate from a stop light going up a mild hill

Sponsor

Staff online