• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Your car is your Baselodge

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
how about a regular folding chair that you use for home?

I have a dryguy bootwarmer that also plugs into the 12V... but maybe throw some handwarmers into your boots, so it will warm up by the time you get to the parking lot?
I guess you missed the fact that I got a Kulkea heated boot back. The boots were nice and warm when I put them on, but after 2-1/2 hours my toes were colder than I felt like dealing with. And yeah, a simple folding chair is what I have in mind...I just don't have any. Thinking something like this one...
1610664655310.png

$20 at Lowes

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
That looks like mine. It's awesome. Folded up on it's side it slides right into the back of my car. Pad keeps it from getting too cold.

James

Out There
Instructor
You want a plastic seat. It’s cold out.
I know someone who’s using one of those bath tub stools. Doesn’t fold.

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
Metal chair has been fine. Padded. It stays in the car, doesn't get that cold. (Of course it hasn't been that cold yet this winter.)

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
OK, I need some ideas/cheering up. I've only skied pretty local this year and I'm finding the "no lodge" part hard.
- putting ON ski boots at car is OK. But taking them off at end of the day when they're cold and I'm cold...sux. I really miss changing and booting up in the lodge.
- lunch is hard. Yesterday, I ate outside in a snow shower. I was cold, the picnic table seat was wet, snow got in my face...yarg! B/c parking is not close, I would have had to walk 200-300 yards to get in my (small) warm car and eat.
- weather has not been extreme...but I've been cold and unable to go in, sit for a minute, and warm up. I am generally pretty robust, but I'd not realized how much I depended on a short warm-up every 2 hours or so.

So anyway, I fully realize these define first-world problems. But anyone got any hacks to make this all easier?

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
OK, I need some ideas/cheering up. I've only skied pretty local this year and I'm finding the "no lodge" part hard.
- putting ON ski boots at car is OK. But taking them off at end of the day when they're cold and I'm cold...sux. I really miss changing and booting up in the lodge.
- lunch is hard. Yesterday, I ate outside in a snow shower. I was cold, the picnic table seat was wet, snow got in my face...yarg! B/c parking is not close, I would have had to walk 200-300 yards to get in my (small) warm car and eat.
- weather has not been extreme...but I've been cold and unable to go in, sit for a minute, and warm up. I am generally pretty robust, but I'd not realized how much I depended on a short warm-up every 2 hours or so.

So anyway, I fully realize these define first-world problems. But anyone got any hacks to make this all easier?

I have always refused to use chemical hand warmers but now i put the warmer packs in my boots when i leave the house and they get pretty warm. Then i use them in my gloves to feel a little warm. I have a big jacket no shell this year.

I have to pull the liners out to get the boots off but i persevere.

But it hasnt been that cold yet maybe 15 degrees in the am was the coldest but it warmed up quickly.

We have been eating at picinic tables and i browse the store or get a hot drink ifni am cold. I found a wall heater in the old lodge. There is a lot of indoor space if needed Eating in the car with 2 sometimes 3 kids is funny and the interior is trashed but its a 2013 so i dont care

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer

I've posted this before: If I didn't have an RV for boot changing I'd get an insulated pop up (10 seconds) ice fishing tent, portable Buddy propane heater, chair and mat.

That won't solve the need for a warm up every few hours but how about wearing an extra layer?

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I've posted this before: If I didn't have an RV for boot changing I'd get an insulated pop up (10 seconds) ice fishing tent, portable Buddy propane heater, chair and mat.

That won't solve the need for a warm up every few hours but how about wearing an extra layer?
What brand/model tent do you have? We used a couple at the top of the race course last week. I didn't know these were a thing. Insulated with a Mr Buddy sounds like it would make winter camping pretty cozy.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I have a truck camper so I don't own or need an insulated tent but they are available from Amazon Canada:
I did see a video where a guy compared a Buddy heater in a non insulated vs insulated tent and he said the heat up time was noticeable with the insulated tent.
I looked them up and saw a wide range. I mis-read your previous post when I posed my question. :geek:

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
What brand/model tent do you have? We used a couple at the top of the race course last week. I didn't know these were a thing. Insulated with a Mr Buddy sounds like it would make winter camping pretty cozy.
I just deleted my post because the link to Amazon.ca didn't work, but I see that you have found the Eskimo tents anyway. :thumb:

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
@Dano, I'll be looking for the video on insulated vs uninsulated, too.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Earlier in this thread I joked that if you buy an insulated ice fishing tent and then they Covid close the skiing; you'd be all set to spend the rest of the winter ice fishing.:duck:

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Dano, I'll be looking for the video on insulated vs uninsulated, too.
It was a vid from a youtube winter camping guy who was trying out his first insulated tent, but I do not have a link.

What I do have is two layers of a Thinsulate knockoff sandwiched between to layers of fabric and 2" thick hardwalls insulated with extruded polystyrene, so R10. It works very well.

Attachments

• DSC00171.JPG
    DSC00171.JPG
    283.8 KB · Views: 22

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

I have these gloves -- expensive but really warm: https://chavalusa.com/

Or maybe go whole hog?
Capture2.PNG

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier

I'm not skiing anywhere my car would be a long walk. That limits which areas I go to, but so be it...better than sitting out the season

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
It was a vid from a youtube winter camping guy who was trying out his first insulated tent, but I do not have a link.

What I do have is two layers of a Thinsulate knockoff sandwiched between to layers of fabric and 2" thick hardwalls insulated with extruded polystyrene, so R10. It works very well.
I just realized I put my latches upside down! Oh well. That's not going to get changed.
IMG_1841.JPG

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
now packing a heavy plastic crate in the suv trunk (an old dairyland milk crate).
loose stuff goes inside it for trip to hill. empty it on arrival and stand on it to get the skis out of the box. (now needed for a new higher vehicle)
then serves as a seat to put the boots on. End of day reverse the process.

Bonus is every thing in it is dry by the time I'm home, the solid tupperware box I used to use always had water in it.

motogreg

A liftie once told me I was an okay skier....
Skier