• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Your car is your Baselodge

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
I just realized I put my latches upside down! Oh well. That's not going to get changed.
View attachment 121625
The latches might work better the way you have them. With mine the cupped or u shaped part that the adjustable part clips into, sometimes gets plugged with ice and has to been cleaned out with a screwdriver.

I secure the latches with a cheap carabiner clip.

Last edited:

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
The latches might work better the way you have them. With mine the cupped or u shaped part that the adjustable part clips into, sometimes gets plugged with ice and has to been cleaned out with a screwdriver.

I secure the latches with a cheap carabiner clip.
Thanks for the up-side view. :) The parts that hang just clear the lower hooks so that they don't catch when they are opened and set in a 'cocked' position. I use screw type chain links as I have them on hand. I put on 6, 3 each side. Looking at your unit I may have overdone it. But better that than having to drive back for the roof. :rolleyes:

jmills115

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Day one in the history books. Booting up in the lot sucks. With zipfits my boots always take a bit of time to get them perfectly dialed for a day of comfortable skiing. Trying to rush that in a cold muddy parking lot just didn't work. Figured I'd deal with it later. Of course you can't go into the lodge to sit and fix them later so you're stuck with trying to adjust this with frozen shells. And as we all know, if your boots are bothering you it really takes away from the enjoyment.
I started using Zipfits 3 seasons ago and always booted up on the tailgate adjusting and readjusting for the same perfect, dialed in feeling as you describe. After getting pressed by mrsjmills for half a season on my taking 15+ minutes longer than her booting up, it took booting up in areas not quite as comfortable for me to realize and fix what the issue was I was having
My touring setup is hikers with Vert snowshoes and alpine boots in a backpack with skis strapped to it.
With plans to hike straight up Hi-Boy or Main Chute at Alta ending just short, or not even close to the plan, tree wells and rocks became my boot up spot.
Getting liners, shell, and skis on in some of these spots, and then skiing back to the car felt like I won the lottery.
Since then getting them just right at the car is easier and I’m almost ready at the same time as the mrs.

Booting up looking out above Ballroom
893F5AD0-B7E9-4FB2-85A0-E4F0E4289070.jpeg

My favorite most comfortable tree well 20 yards from the top of Hi-Boy
764003BE-3F94-4951-9E7F-30A604B29168.jpeg
D7C708DB-78E9-4DB6-887C-60D8C06DBC79.jpeg

Uphill on Hi-Boy 6/2019 with about the same amount of snow as we have at Alta this season.
E2F85073-878C-4F72-B3DC-99F021F47B32.jpeg

I have now purchased 4 of the stool linked. They are easy to pack in the car and are comfy to boot up on.
After having more experienced skiers see what I was using and comment they should get something like it, I’ve accidentally left them next to their car before going home.

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
I started using Zipfits 3 seasons ago and always booted up on the tailgate adjusting and readjusting for the same perfect, dialed in feeling as you describe. After getting pressed by mrsjmills for half a season on my taking 15+ minutes longer than her booting up, it took booting up in areas not quite as comfortable for me to realize and fix what the issue was I was having
My touring setup is hikers with Vert snowshoes and alpine boots in a backpack with skis strapped to it.
With plans to hike straight up Hi-Boy or Main Chute at Alta ending just short, or not even close to the plan, tree wells and rocks became my boot up spot.
Getting liners, shell, and skis on in some of these spots, and then skiing back to the car felt like I won the lottery.
Since then getting them just right at the car is easier and I’m almost ready at the same time as the mrs.

View attachment 121688
View attachment 121689 View attachment 121690
Uphill on Hi-Boy 6/2019 with about the same amount of snow as we have at Alta this season.
View attachment 121691

I have now purchased 4 of the stool linked. They are easy to pack in the car and are comfy to boot up on.
After having more experienced skiers see what I was using and comment they should get something like it, I’ve accidentally left them next to their car before going home.

Well if I were booting up to ski the empty trails at Alta I probably wouldn't complain either. As it is I am booting up in mud covered parking lots in the Catskills to ski laps with the masses. Wanna trade?

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
I've been booting up at the car for years. At Breck, I always had a gondola parking pass. Always parked within 300 yards of the gondola. Wouldn't want to be making that ride/walk to eat lunch, though. I used to have a piece of carpet in the car (Audi Avant or Allroad) to put on the ground. I HAVE to stand to put my feet into the boots, so no chair necessary. Boot removal is a stand-up process too. Probably because of that midrift impediment I've had for the last 40 or so years.

jmills115

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Well if I were booting up to ski the empty trails at Alta I probably wouldn't complain either. As it is I am booting up in mud covered parking lots in the Catskills to ski laps with the masses. Wanna trade?
Pack up your boots. I have extra Verts snowshoes and skis with demo bindings.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier

View attachment 121688
View attachment 121689 View attachment 121690
View attachment 121691

You can completely eliminate the boot horn if you put a 1" wide strip of UHMW tape down the rear spine of your boots, along the middle of the bootboard, and a small strip on the heel and toe of your liners. Necessity is the mother of invention, and with having to boot-up at the car, this is now what I've gone to. It's like greased lightning have the UHMW tape on tape interface to slide into the shells. I've never experienced anything easier for boot-up.

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
You can completely eliminate the boot horn if you put a 1" wide strip of UHMW tape down the rear spine of your boots, along the middle of the bootboard, and a small strip on the heel and toe of your liners. Necessity is the mother of invention, and with having to boot-up at the car, this is now what I've gone to. It's like greased lightning have the UHMW tape on tape interface to slide into the shells. I've never experienced anything easier for boot-up.
What brand? I bought some off Amazon and it's not sticking too good.

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

My boots are absolutely miserable to put on and take off even with a boot horn. I've got to try this. Does it have strong adhesive so you don't have to worry about it peeling off?

haha. Jersey and I posted at the same time ogsmile

jmills115

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I stopped using that not long after the tree well and bought the tape after I saw your post in the zipfit thread. Working on the inside of the shell to eliminate any hangups or rough spots made a big enough difference that I stopped using the boot horn.
The $35 for the roll of 3M tape is money well spent.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
What brand? I bought some off Amazon and it's not sticking too good.

I'm using the 3M version from Amazon (I can dig up the link if you need it). Sticks great to the boot plastic and bootboard. Also sticks well to the leather surfaces of my Zip liners, but it doesn't do well with anything that is more rough or fabric.

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I stopped using that not long after the tree well and bought the tape after I saw your post in the zipfit thread. Working on the inside of the shell to eliminate any hangups or rough spots made a big enough difference that I stopped using the boot horn.
The $35 for the roll of 3M tape is money well spent.

Oops. I missed the part where the tape is on the shell and not inside the liner. :doh: I don't have zipfits.

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Consider adopting a lace-up liner so that you can go in/out of your shells with the liners on your feet. Then you can enjoy the benefits of UHMW tape (aka Helicopter tape). ;)

I really, really hate how hard it is to get into my boots but damn, those Zipfits are expensive. Definitely would want to go to a dealer to get the right one. I think I'll go find that zipfit thread @jmills115 mentioned and see if there's a dealer anywhere near me.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
I really, really hate how hard it is to get into my boots but damn, those Zipfits are expensive. Definitely would want to go to a dealer to get the right one. I think I'll go find that zipfit thread @jmills115 mentioned and see if there's a dealer anywhere near me.

Doesn't have to be ZipFits. Lots of available lace-up liners. :)

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I really, really hate how hard it is to get into my boots but damn, those Zipfits are expensive.

They are. But the feel of your foot into one of these is indescribable-it is like it is put in concrete, absolutely no heel lift or other movements whatsoever. You can ski all day long with only the power strap fastened, no need to buckle the boots at all (provided the shell fit is good of course).
And I hear they last far longer than the foam liners.

I still like my foam injected liners better but the ZipFits are truly excellent.

Sponsor

Staff online