• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Your car is your Baselodge

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Got a new baselodge chair for Christmas, so I've now got my personal baselodge squared away... from yesterday:

car_base_lodge.jpg

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
How did that chair work for you? I have one similar that I tried, my butt sank down too deep to make getting boots on (and especially off!) a bit difficult. Going with something more solid next time

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
How did that chair work for you? I have one similar that I tried, my butt sank down too deep to make getting boots on (and especially off!) a bit difficult. Going with something more solid next time
Worked great... no complaints.

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

I bought this chair because the seat fabric is tight and you don't sink down. Pretty easy to get the boots on sitting with this. The only issue is it doesn't collapse like the chair dbostedo has. It folds flat.

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
Yeah, I was thinking of one like that...I know some pretty big guys that use them and they seem to hold up well.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
This one from Cabela's works well. Rolls into a small bag and makes it easy to reach boots.
20210123_100155.jpg
20210123_100026.jpg
20210123_100050.jpg

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah, I was thinking of one like that...I know some pretty big guys that use them and they seem to hold up well.

It's pretty robust and has a high weight rating. Having suggested this I should also mention that this upcoming weekend I'm going try a 3-legged camp stool. Much more compact and easier to throw in the car. If that doesn't work I'll be sticking with the chair.

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Got a new baselodge chair for Christmas, so I've now got my personal baselodge squared away... from yesterday:

View attachment 121834
Once again, we get a photo of ideal boot-up circumstances! Now add some wet snow, swirling wind, and mud to this scenario.
Still feeling grouchy about the whole experience and can't wait to get my wimpy, old, fat ass back in the lodges....:nono:

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Once again, we get a photo of ideal boot-up circumstances! Now add some wet snow, swirling wind, and mud to this scenario.
Still feeling grouchy about the whole experience and can't wait to get my wimpy, old, fat ass back in the lodges....:nono:
There was wet snow on the ground, though none in the air, and it was pretty windy. I wouldn't say I was comfortable... in fact, I ducked back into the car to put my knee braces on, rather than pull my pant legs up. And I was wearing more than I would have in the lodge. But it worked.

Debooting was better, as the wind had died down and it was a bit warmer being in the afternoon.

MountainMonster

~0~
Skier
best camp chair I've found
Screen Shot 2021-01-23 at 11.46.40 AM.png

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Personally, I wanted a chair without arms, as I find they get in the way when booting up or booting down. YMMV.

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
An aid to getting socks into boots: Food rated silicone spray applied to the back of the liner and the footbed. It's even more slick that baby powder.

jmills115

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You should have seen the muddy lot I had to boot up in today. I ended up with mud on my boots and pants
Luckily they weren’t dirty long.
I didn’t get a pic of the muddy lot but got one of my boots being cleaned.
9E1EFA70-9DED-44B7-BFD6-BF1566F31F1E.jpeg

AaronFM

Getting off the lift
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Any hints for back seat base lodging when it’s dumping snow? Even the couple minutes it takes to pull off ski boots/gear and put on stuff to drive has everything getting full of snow again. Maybe some type of tarp that could attach between the open barn doors.
4C831F24-4FD5-44BE-A22C-204F5AA25E72.jpeg

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
When it's snowing/blowing, I hang onto the car to stand and remove one boot, open the door to get a shoe, close door and repeat with other boot. It IS a winter sport, you know.
157728373.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
You can completely eliminate the boot horn if you put a 1" wide strip of UHMW tape down the rear spine of your boots, along the middle of the bootboard, and a small strip on the heel and toe of your liners. Necessity is the mother of invention, and with having to boot-up at the car, this is now what I've gone to. It's like greased lightning have the UHMW tape on tape interface to slide into the shells. I've never experienced anything easier for boot-up.

I ordered the 3M tape.

From the top of the rear top of the boot, down the spine and along the full length of the boot board (in my case on top of the insole shims?)

Small strips on heel and toe -- about how long and in what orientation?

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled

AtleB

Out on the slopes
Skier
The whole concept of going to a lodge to boot up is very unfamiliar to me and definitely not common in Norway. Is this standard practice all over North America?

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
The whole concept of going to a lodge to boot up is very unfamiliar to me and definitely not common in Norway. Is this standard practice all over North America?
Probably not as much as we're making it sound like. Think most people boot up in the lot anyway. Some of us just got spoiled, especially at areas where it's a shorter walk to the lodge than the lift.

Sponsor

Staff online