• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Your car is your Baselodge

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Maybe a new car?

:duck:

Umm... nope!

Living in a city (and I'm not too far from you, @dbostedo - probably closer as the crow flies to the building in your avatar) having a manual transmission car is the easiest way to prevent your car from being stolen.

Also: I love driving manual! Three pedals = the correct number. :cool:

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
As for what I do: I just boot up at the hill. My boots ride under the passenger side outlet for the car's heating system and stay supple (and I've now tested that down into the teens and it works just fine).

Max Capacity

Putting on skis
Skier
Any recommendations for a manual shift driver???

A heated boot bag. Even keeps the boots warm after they hang on the ski rack while I park the car and walk back up. When I can, I would plug the bag back into a outlet in the base lodge for a few minutes, (while going to the men's room).
You can plug the bag into the cig lighter for your drive to the hill.

In a normal year, I would plug the bag in when I woke up, then do my hour or so morning routine, then drive the 1 mile to the hill.

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
Manual trans = 2 liners on with overboots, shells warming in passenger footwell. That plus a little silicone spray before loading and the liners will pop right in, as much as that’s possible with a stiff boot.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Manual trans = 2 liners on with overboots, shells warming in passenger footwell. That plus a little silicone spray before loading and the liners will pop right in, as much as that’s possible with a stiff boot.

I got a couple pair of those but got them too small for my purpose. I got them for winter camping and wearing them over the boot liners in camp. If anyone is interested, I can measure what I have so you can shop accordingly.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Have I found the perfect good weather parking lot lodge? Korean BBQ anyone?
195084854_23847685449400509_6772699766405327388_n.jpg

Viking9

Out on the slopes
Skier
We really struggled with the lack of lodge and skiing out of our vehicle, so much so that we didn’t go back a to Mammoth for the rest of the year after our return from our Colorado vacation in early March.
Hopefully December will be back to normal.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We really struggled with the lack of lodge and skiing out of our vehicle, so much so that we didn’t go back a to Mammoth for the rest of the year after our return from our Colorado vacation in early March.
That is unfortunate. We found a way to make it work and enjoy the full ski season. Heck, I got 100 days with the last two at A-Basin after the lodges opened up. It almost felt odd to be inside, but also kinda cool to be getting some semblance of normal.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Due to our situation we didn't have to do much of the car is your base lodge. We've a condo at Magic and have our shed at Bromley so really no need to ever go into the lodge. We spend the spring at Killington anyway so we're well used to that scene so boot up at our tailgate and rarely go into the base lodge. Overall not much changed for us this winter. Magic made this fabulous outside on snow ski in/ski out beer/snack area called the T bar and this allowed for lunch or apre ski without having to go up to the condo. We did go to Butternut 3 times and used our Killington tailgate setup so had a quite a lovely time using our car as the base lodge. For us it's all what you make of it. We were grateful we didn't have to do it much but made it work when necessary. This was one of the reasons we decided to defer our IKON passes because when visiting other NE IKON mountains or out west we did want the option of using the lodge. Killington is hosting the ladies world cup ski races thanksgiving weekend so we've every hope that next season will be back to normal.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Due to our situation we didn't have to do much of the car is your base lodge. We've a condo at Magic and have our shed at Bromley so really no need to ever go into the lodge. We spend the spring at Killington anyway so we're well used to that scene so boot up at our tailgate and rarely go into the base lodge. Overall not much changed for us this winter. Magic made this fabulous outside on snow ski in/ski out beer/snack area called the T bar and this allowed for lunch or apre ski without having to go up to the condo. We did go to Butternut 3 times and used our Killington tailgate setup so had a quite a lovely time using our car as the base lodge. For us it's all what you make of it. We were grateful we didn't have to do it much but made it work when necessary. This was one of the reasons we decided to defer our IKON passes because when visiting other NE IKON mountains or out west we did want the option of using the lodge. Killington is hosting the ladies world cup ski races thanksgiving weekend so we've every hope that next season will be back to normal.
Our condo shuttle bus stopped running during the weekdays after January, except for holiday weeks (two I recall), so we tried parking lot boot up, but ultimately just used the Snowshed lodge for 10 minutes in the morning and afternoon. I had already had COVID sometime unknown in 2020, so not too worried, but my wife did catch it at the end of March, so perhaps it was not for the best. She got sicker than I, not bad, but I didn't get very sick at all or that 24 hour "flu" I had in February 2020 was the real deal. We lunched late at home and just ate granola or energy bars on the lifts. I heard from others you were around during the spring, but our paths never crossed. Maybe next season! I think this year we will finally make the WC races work over Thanksgiving.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Our condo shuttle bus stopped running during the weekdays after January, except for holiday weeks (two I recall), so we tried parking lot boot up, but ultimately just used the Snowshed lodge for 10 minutes in the morning and afternoon. I had already had COVID sometime unknown in 2020, so not too worried, but my wife did catch it at the end of March, so perhaps it was not for the best. She got sicker than I, not bad, but I didn't get very sick at all or that 24 hour "flu" I had in February 2020 was the real deal. We lunched late at home and just ate granola or energy bars on the lifts. I heard from others you were around during the spring, but our paths never crossed. Maybe next season! I think this year we will finally make the WC races work over Thanksgiving.

Hey.... yeah I went to Otis one time for their $20 night ticket and booted up in the lodge. It was uncrowded and I felt safe. We even ate at the BLT at Magic on an uncrowded day. It was play it by ear at times.

This spring was crowded, more crowded that usual. I had a few friends that were there and we never were able to run into each other. I only skied with Rob and just randomly said hello to folks I ran into on bittersweet. Didn't even ski with guy in shorts but caught up with him, mister moose and the rest of the bay one crew on the last few days of the season. Next season for sure.

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
I didn't even notice it except on those sub-zero days & vacations. I guess we always ski out of our cars when at home.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Hey.... yeah I went to Otis one time for their $20 night ticket and booted up in the lodge. It was uncrowded and I felt safe. We even ate at the BLT at Magic on an uncrowded day. It was play it by ear at times.

This spring was crowded, more crowded that usual. I had a few friends that were there and we never were able to run into each other. I only skied with Rob and just randomly said hello to folks I ran into on bittersweet. Didn't even ski with guy in shorts but caught up with him, mister moose and the rest of the bay one crew on the last few days of the season. Next season for sure.
Yes, I ran into them on North Ridge one day where they said they'd seen you, but my wife and I were done for the day and heading out to meet with a contractor.

Snowshed was usually much safer feeling than the other lodges we'd visit for bathroom breaks.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I didn't even notice it except on those sub-zero days & vacations. I guess we always ski out of our cars when at home.
The handful of days when it was snowing fairly hard were the only challenge we noticed.
Then it was trickly to get boots on without getting snow in them.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
My wife and kids put their stuff on at our home then I would drive 15 minutes and put my boots on. I put chemical handwarmers in my boots and they were always pliable. It was very cold in early December and my feet were not happy but the handwarmer trick plus fixing the leak in my boots made 2021 easy my best feet year in a while. At the end of one day we were hanging out with my brother in laws family and i did walk to my car to get my shoes (and more beer) and took my boots off in the lodge

I liked it and it was fun taking breaks in random spots. I hate to share my secret but the area we parked at never had a more than 400 foot walk to lift and there was a wall heater form drying out gloves and masks.

We actually ate at ski restaurants more than usual. We have had so many good years and last was no different. What are great way to get out of our house and zone and hang out with family and friends.

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
It was permitted at my home mountain to put boots on in the lodge. Skiers were not allowed to leave boot bags in the lodge, however. So many just left them outside on the patio. I brought my lunch and sat outside with everyone else.

Put my boots on in the car at Killington. It was fine but not in line with my routine - that's no fun. Magic had a tent to put on your boots. Bromley, in the lodge and stow the bag.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
It was permitted at my home mountain to put boots on in the lodge. Skiers were not allowed to leave boot bags in the lodge, however. So many just left them outside on the patio. I brought my lunch and sat outside with everyone else.

Put my boots on in the car at Killington. It was fine but not in line with my routine - that's no fun. Magic had a tent to put on your boots. Bromley, in the lodge and stow the bag.
We regularly booted up in Snowshed and used the free bag check. In and out in 10 minutes and it was never crowded during the week because they didn't serve food there. We avoided the crowded weekends.

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
Wife booted up at home (nine-mile drive) and my boots were in a heated bag that uses 12 volts optionally, so I put them on warm at the car. Probably 200 yards on sidewalks with Cat Tracks to the slope. Sometimes we parked ON the snow at the base of a run.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January