• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Your car is your Baselodge

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
According to a skier in New Zealand posting on another site, there are signs all over the mountain proclaiming YOUR CAR IS YOUR BASELODGE.
Assuming we will be using our cars for booting up, eating lunch, and for après, how can we make that an enjoyable enterprise?
What does a car need to be a good baselodge?

RobSN

Out on the slopes
Skier
At the risk of repetition from other threads (and it's the very reason I had brought it up in the first place), a potty!!! I can change, boot up, maybe even heat up a lunch on a cold day (admittedly that would require me to bring my camping stove, but hey, not necessarily a bad idea, especially if the food is hot-ish already from a Thermos), crack open something for après, etc. etc. - basically with the exception of the potty, I could be 100% lodge independent.

Scrundy

I like beer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
At the risk of repetition from other threads (and it's the very reason I had brought it up in the first place), a potty!!! I can change, boot up, maybe even heat up a lunch on a cold day (admittedly that would require me to bring my camping stove, but hey, not necessarily a bad idea, especially if the food is hot-ish already from a Thermos), crack open something for après, etc. etc. - basically with the exception of the potty, I could be 100% lodge independent.

A potty?
Who pee’s in the lodge?

Ski&ride

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
My understanding, New Zealand winter isn’t really that cold, right?

I already use my car as my base lodge when I ski in spring. Sure, it’ll work pretty well. Tail gate BBQ and a camp chair will do quite nicely. Who wants to sit inside when it’s 60 degrees out? ogwink

But at 30 degrees, it’s not quite so nice to be sitting outside unless it’s a really sunny windless day.

When it’s in the teens and blowing, I could use a fire place to dry off the wet gloves and balaclava, Probably take my feet out of the boot and air dry the socks. Do that in the car... hmmm... maybe.

Hot chili out of a thermo. That I can do.

Wait, I thought food/beverage was a significant income stream of the mountain? That’ll be kind of tough if we all goes to our car for lunch break.

Never mind, I‘m a lot more likely to only ski half a day. I mean, trying to put back on all those wet stuff and getting back out? It’d better be a powder day!

(as I mentioned in the other thread, I’m getting a lot fitter thanks to working from home and able to put in a couple hours of bike ride after work. So come next season, I probably can ski a lot longer without break. So maybe I don’t need a base lodge, my car or not)

Don in Morrison

I Ski Better on Retro Day
Skier
I always eat lunch at my car anyway. I use the lodge only for the rest room. There is so much tree skiing where I ski that the woods aren't secluded enough, and the trees are all aspens, so passersby can see all the way to the adjacent run.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Double Doodie bags and a pop-up shower stall?
Love the Carsule!

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
It's only a reliable option late spring weekends or really off weekdays mid winter out this way. On a busy day, unless you arrive before around 8:30am, you could very well end up in the remote satellite parking lots.... a very loooong walk or shuttle bus ride from the base.

But, if I had a lottery lift ticket for a heavily restricted occupancy, that would make it definitely a reliable and preferred option.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Hmmm, wonder if one of these fits in my backpack? :ogbiggrin:
full_58ad6ac9-fee3-431f-bda7-c7e4e55e1232.jpg

Bit of a downgrade from Snowbasin?

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Been rolling and booting up in the Sprinter Van for years now - It’s a game changer for an introvert like myself who needs his space.

A few spots we’ve found to park are ski in ski out so swinging in for lunch or swapping out skis is a no brainer ! Best part is your favorite beverage is always on ice when your ready to call it a day - who knew ?

Johnny Style

Putting on skis
Skier
Warner Nickerson had a rather Spartan setup but it worked for him.
I’m addicted to vanlife videos. If I didn’t have a place already, I would live in a van at the base of the mountain T.J. Burke style.

wooglin

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Biggest issue for me will be getting the bike rack off so I can open the tailgate and have somewhere to sit. I knew bashing the brand new rack into the 10 year old rusted receiver with a sledge back in May was a bad idea when I was doing it. Shootski.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
My car is usually my base lodge anyhow. The beer and food are cheaper and the rules are less strict. I have zero issues with this next winter. Will suck for weekend mega resort people though

That's why we're going to hit your stash instead..

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid