• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Your car is your Baselodge

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
That bag hasn't been suggested, but @KULKEA Thermal Trekker has been suggested many times.
That's the bag we have.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Another long walk to the lift at Squaw Valley! With @Philpug, @Tricia, and @Justin Koski.
20210105_122756.jpg

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I get to use my truck as my baselodge all next week at Cooper. I usually carpool with my friend and fellow racer, but he a) has to take his kid to school this week and b) doesn't need to be at the lift at 7:30 like I do. So, I'll be piling the racing skis, putting a cooler with lunch and après treats, Mr Buddy heater, a chair and a mat to stand on into the new capper. Kind of its maiden voyage although I consciously haven't finished it. I ran out of warm weather to finish the box extension that will enclose the space where the tailgate would fold down and I have not installed the planned ski and bike racks. It'll be a learning experience.

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
We didn't have a tailgate today so we trunked. @AKMINK and I were joined by Tom and Bonda, owners of Great Basin Brewery and all-around nice people. Tom brought a nice wassail ale to enjoy with some snacks.
20210110_120811.jpg

20210110_120811.jpg
20210110_120811.jpg
20210110_120811.jpg

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
Day one in the history books. Booting up in the lot sucks. With zipfits my boots always take a bit of time to get them perfectly dialed for a day of comfortable skiing. Trying to rush that in a cold muddy parking lot just didn't work. Figured I'd deal with it later. Of course you can't go into the lodge to sit and fix them later so you're stuck with trying to adjust this with frozen shells. And as we all know, if your boots are bothering you it really takes away from the enjoyment.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Day one in the history books. Booting up in the lot sucks. With zipfits my boots always take a bit of time to get them perfectly dialed for a day of comfortable skiing. Trying to rush that in a cold muddy parking lot just didn't work. Figured I'd deal with it later. Of course you can't go into the lodge to sit and fix them later so you're stuck with trying to adjust this with frozen shells. And as we all know, if your boots are bothering you it really takes away from the enjoyment.
I ended up sitting on the steps of the race hill start house to take off a boot and try again... kink in my sock under my arch was killing me LOL. It wasn't that cold out and the do over was fine for the rest of the day..

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Bathroom stall.

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
Speaking of bathrooms, one thing I was reminded of on my foray this past Monday is how tiny and antiquated some ski area bathrooms are. In particular, I recall the ones at Shawnee were like small closets...

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Speaking of bathrooms, one thing I was reminded of on my foray this past Monday is how tiny and antiquated some ski area bathrooms are. In particular, I recall the ones at Shawnee were like small closets...
I think all the toilets at Mt. Rose were designed for kindergarten kids. Hard to get back up again!

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
I needed a new boot bag anyway, so I bought a heated Kulkea Trekker. Glad I did, the boots were nice and toasty (and soft!) which made getting into them very easy. Getting out of them was another story...LOL

Jersey Skier

Skier
I needed a new boot bag anyway, so I bought a heated Kulkea Trekker. Glad I did, the boots were nice and toasty (and soft!) which made getting into them very easy. Getting out of them was another story...LOL

I've used heated boot bags for years to get into my boots. Yes, getting out was loads of fun.

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
I had presence of mind to bring one of those foam rubber "tiles" that are about 2 ft x 2 ft. Made a nice surface to do the boot-up. But the chair I brought was one of those folding camp chairs, I found my butt sank down into it too much to give any kind of leverage for getting the boots on, and the arms were in the way. So I need to get some kind of folding chair that's flat. I also need some time of heater to keep my toes warm, cold toes is what cut my day short

snwbrdr

Out on the slopes
Skier
I had presence of mind to bring one of those foam rubber "tiles" that are about 2 ft x 2 ft. Made a nice surface to do the boot-up. But the chair I brought was one of those folding camp chairs, I found my butt sank down into it too much to give any kind of leverage for getting the boots on, and the arms were in the way. So I need to get some kind of folding chair that's flat. I also need some time of heater to keep my toes warm, cold toes is what cut my day short
how about a regular folding chair that you use for home?

I have a dryguy bootwarmer that also plugs into the 12V... but maybe throw some handwarmers into your boots, so it will warm up by the time you get to the parking lot?

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
Basic folding metal cushioned chair for me. Stepson gave me a camp chair thats triangular so you don’t sink into it for Christmas. The triangular point in the front grinds into my crotch.

Jersey Skier

Skier
how about a regular folding chair that you use for home?

I have a dryguy bootwarmer that also plugs into the 12V... but maybe throw some handwarmers into your boots, so it will warm up by the time you get to the parking lot?
Basic folding metal cushioned chair for me. Stepson gave me a camp chair thats triangular so you don’t sink into it for Christmas. The triangular point in the front grinds into my crotch.

I was thinking about this yesterday. Maybe we need a chair review section.

Looking for Folding, cheap, strong and stable. Easy to clean would be a plus since our lots are muddy.

Sponsor

Staff online