• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Your Most Memorable Chairlift Ride

Moose32

Attacking the Fall Line
Skier
Are there 4 of them or his name on one four times?
Must be tough for them to have 5 for Didier Cuche.

I believe one - each gondola has a plaque inside listing the Kitzbühel wins. See below.

819FE1A2-3D51-47AE-8945-2C452CCDABA0.jpeg

Last edited:

Johnny Style

Putting on skis
Skier
Does anybody remember NFL HOFer Eric Dickerson?

eric-dickerson-rams-contract-one-day-retirejpg.jpg

Dickerson was the subject of a recruiting controversy when he attended SMU. He still refuses to answer on whether or not he accepted anything to attend SMU, saying, "Even if I did take something, I still wouldn't tell." This was the subject of two documentaries on ESPN and the NFL network.

Anyway, while on the Ajax Express lift at Aspen, I met a SMU booster that told me the true story. To get around NCAA rules, SMU paid Eric's uncle $70,000 for two cords of firewood. So, as an eighteen year old, Eric had $70,000 in his pocket back in 1979. I always thought that was cool story, and indicative of the kind of inside information one can gather on the chairlifts of Aspen.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Does anybody remember NFL HOFer Eric Dickerson?

View attachment 113620

Dickerson was the subject of a recruiting controversy when he attended SMU. He still refuses to answer on whether or not he accepted anything to attend SMU, saying, "Even if I did take something, I still wouldn't tell." This was the subject of two documentaries on ESPN and the NFL network.

Anyway, while on the Ajax Express lift at Aspen, I met a SMU booster that told me the true story. To get around NCAA rules, SMU paid Eric's uncle $70,000 for two cords of firewood. So, as an eighteen year old, Eric had $70,000 in his pocket back in 1979. I always thought that was cool story, and indicative of the kind of inside information one can gather on the chairlifts of Aspen.
Two things. First. Those were my favorite Rams uniforms. And B, how did Eric Dickerson come up in conversation on a chair lift?

Johnny Style

Putting on skis
Skier
I found out the guy was from Dallas. We were talking football (Eagles v Cowboys) and the ESPN documentary called Pony Excess had just come out so I asked if he had seen it. He said, "Yeah, I lived it, you wanna know what really happened?"

Delicious

Glass Cranks
Skier
This is a ride I will ALWAYS remember. 3 and 5 year old boys had become self sufficient enough for me to ski single-parent with them on several occasions last season. Wins and grins for sure! Moments after the picture of my 5 year old(seen riding single) were taken, his goggle clip became frighteningly attached to the backrest of the chair! The world's slowest chairlift seemed to be screaming toward the offload tower as I talked him through all kinds of "look up" "look down" head movements in an attempt to free the clip. He didn't panic(much), and was able to free himself. Little kids have some hurdles to overcome when riding chairs for sure, but this is not one that I had seen coming!

Attachments

• IMG_20200221_111346819_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200221_111346819_HDR.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20200221_111313568.jpg
    IMG_20200221_111313568.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 18

Green08

Front Range Skier
Skier
My only really memorable chairlift rides are bad memories!
1) At Loveland on the upper half of the old Lift 2, just as you are crossing the bowl, and the lift is about its furthest off the ground. Lift stopped for wind, we took a massive gust right in the face, the chair rocked back, butts slid forward, and for a slit second we thought we were going to get dumped. Funny thing is Ptarmigan is a nice lift these days.
2) Some dude insulted my wife for working at a company that programs in Python--Montezuma lift at Keystone. She still gets hot under the collar if that memory returns riding that lift.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
This is a ride I will ALWAYS remember. 3 and 5 year old boys had become self sufficient enough for me to ski single-parent with them on several occasions last season. Wins and grins for sure! Moments after the picture of my 5 year old(seen riding single) were taken, his goggle clip became frighteningly attached to the backrest of the chair! The world's slowest chairlift seemed to be screaming toward the offload tower as I talked him through all kinds of "look up" "look down" head movements in an attempt to free the clip. He didn't panic(much), and was able to free himself. Little kids have some hurdles to overcome when riding chairs for sure, but this is not one that I had seen coming!
That looks like the old Alpine chair at Ski Acres (now Summit Central). But a sunny day? A rarity.....

djetok

Low Lander
Skier
Mine was in 1984 at Winter park, I was 14, and it my first trip ever. I was on a competitive water ski team. I thought I didn't need lessons. I just about ran into snoasis from blue rabbit run, I believe. I then walked to a lift and was going to ride it down. On the lift I met a nice guy(Hans) from Austria. I was so freaked out from my near death experience, I did not notice that he was Handicapable. While on the lift, he said if I can ski , you can ski. I said no way I am going back to the condo (iron mountain) and watch tv, then I looked over to notice he only had one leg. Long story short, he talked me into skiing with him on Vasquez. He taught me the basics of skiing, and if that would have never happened. I would have most likely not be enjoying skiing today. Thanks Hans!!!

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
In my single days I got on the Blackcomb gondola and a drop dead gorgeous girl jumps in next to me. Just the 2 of us !
At the mid-station the liftee stops the lift and orders both of us out.

I ask what did we do wrong. He was busy throwing water from a 5 gallon bucket into the cab. He then says someone threw up in that cab yesterday & it needed the carwash treatment ! The startled girl then skied down !

RSTuthill

Booting up
Skier
Three favorites actually.

1. The day that the Spruce Peak Double opened at Stowe. (I was also at Stowe for its last day although I skied Mt. Mansfield that day.)

2. The Mt. Mansfield single on a day with 40 mph wind and the temp was -15 F. Two blankets, the second one pulled up and over our faces. My buddy and I had to stop twice on the way down to warm part of our faces that were turning white with frostbite.

3. Sugarbush North, then called Glen Ellen, the summit chair on a spectacularly beautiful mid winter day. On the steepest part of the ride above the lift line trail then called Scotch Mist, the lift stops. We wait a few minutes at which point it attempts to restart. Instead it slides BACKWARDS for 15-20 feet really fast, at which point the emergency brake kicks in with a jolt. A second attempt with the same result. I resolved to jump if it happened again as the drop was not all that big there and Scotch Mist was really steep, but the third attempt was successful.

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
To be honest, I don't have much in the way of memorable chair lift rides. Sure lots of conversation fun with others and a few scary rides due to wind or long stopped lifts on cold days I wondered if it would ever start back up. But really, I tend to remember skiing after getting off and not much about rides unless it is some attractive gal I have a nice conversation with. That noted, it is true that on fresh powder days after notable dumps, I tend to be extremely awake looking at slopes intently for areas that have not yet been tracked out.

After one such dump maybe a couple decades ago I was on the first chair on the backside of Kirkwood Chair 4. That basin just below 9.6k tends to open late after fresh snow for avalanche work so often late morning or later. The top 600 feet or so has a nice advanced intermediate pitch with wide open slopes right below the lift. Likely skiing on early version of Volant Powderkarves at the time so more traditional waisted skis. (Phil would know dimensions?) There was a huge mob in line behind me when the lift began loading. I was so excited on the ride up that I do recall feeling like I was about to jump out of my skin, eyes bulging out looking at all the pristine soft dry cold fresh snow right below that I knew would be mine. Of course I skied the glory fall line right under the lift and pretty much killed it with insane short bouncing ball turns. Of other crazed skiers on the lift above, a few no doubt knew it was me and as I heard the continual yelling above, that included one that clearly yelled out my name. Anyone in such a situation riding a lift will get super amped as they near the top of a lift as they watch the first skiers ski down below because the way good cold dry powder explodes up from every turn makes it so obvious what is coming for them too.

Last edited:

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Technically not a chair lift ride, yet.

First in line at Colorado Superchair on a very big day at Breck.

IMG_20200207_081441296_HDR.jpg

J_P

Booting up
Skier
to me it's always the same chairlift ride that's most memorable even though it's different every time... seeing my two girls in the chair in front of me or my son and his buddy(s) just makes me happy. initially i was gonna say my first tram up JH 20 some odd years ago after having the corbets photo on my wall for 2 years knowing i was about to do it, but thats more of a memory from another life. riding up a chair with the kids in front knowing they're happy and going to remember that day like i remember the days of my youth just burns the photo into my brain and gives me a big smile.

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
Another Stowe ride. 40 years or so I was skiing at Madonna Mt (now Smugglers Notch) when you could ski to top
and hike over to Spruce Peak at Stowe. The return ride up the Spruce double for the hike back was either free
or at most $5. I did the hike then tried to get on the chair but the lift attendant said I had to buy a Full Day Stowe ticket for
the one ride. He would not budge. I was really pissed. I went inside for lunch to figure out what to do.

Looking out the window I noticed he left and another liftee took his place. I quickly scooted out, grabbed my skis and calmly got on the chair like I owned the place. Not noticed and I was back up toward Madonna for no charge !

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
Some dude insulted my wife for working at a company that programs in Python--Montezuma lift at Keystone. She still gets hot under the collar if that memory returns riding that lift.

Well, good lord man, any self-respecting programmer would use Perl over Python.

:snowball:

Most of my colleagues prefer Python; however, I find that the completely unreadable nature of Perl code leads to better job security. :ogbiggrin:

ksampson3

Giving 80% effort 100% of the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
1977 at Sugarbush. 8th grade field trip from the DC area. My second time skiing. I'm on a lift with one of my teachers when the lift stopped. Hadn't had that happen before. I asked my teacher if that was normal. His reply, "Yep. Nothing to worry about." 15 minutes go by. 30 minutes go by. It's effing freezing and the wind is howling. I ask him again if this was normal. "Hell no, I'm freezing my ass off." It was awful. We were up there for over an hour and a half, me in some crappy "ski" outfit that my mom pieced together so I could go on the trip. (Note: being from DC, we didn't have to dress for winter like folks in VT did.) The first thing that ski patrol did when we finally got off of the lift was tell us to go to the bar and tell "Jeff" that drinks were on the house. We went inside, sat at the bar and downed a couple of shots of brandy.

Can you imagine that happening nowadays? Serving drinks to a 13 year old? When I got home, I told my mom about the drinks. Her reply? "Warmed you up fast, didn't they?". Hell yeah they did.

Sponsor