• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Your Quiver MIGHT Be Too Big IF...

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
If you pull out some skis and it's been so long since you used them that you need to double check the DIN and BSL because you can't remember what you weighted or what boots you used them with last your quiver MIGHT be too big.

If you're straightening up your closet or cleaning under the bed and you find a pair of skis you forgot you had.. Your quiver MIGHT be too big,..

Ready GO!

AngryAnalyst

Out on the slopes
Skier
If you have difficulty recalling how many skis you own (perhaps this also screens for mental competence?).

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
Wow just wow, not sure about the rest of you but I represent these comments. Quiver management is a complex and personal issue, so let's hit these one at a time:
  1. "You hide them from your wife" - yes but only when I am buying a new pair, and typically what I do is I hide them under a new pair of skis I bought for her. The truth is my wife doesn't miss a beat, so not sure I am really hiding anything from anyone and we both enjoy skiing our new skis lol
  2. "If you have more than 1 storage area for skis." - first define a storage area. second as long as you have the right organization system and can find your skis when you need them who cares - quiver control is what it really comes down too
  3. "If you have difficulty recalling how many skis you own (perhaps this also screens for mental competence?)." - look if you love something let it go, if you can't remember it than it was not really love. That said multi quiver management for a family of five is a challenge not to mention keeping track of skis you lent out ...quiver inventory management is key
  4. "If scraping and brushing summer storage wax off is a multi day task." - perhaps you just need a new scrapper with a razor sharp edge ;-)
  5. "If you're straightening up your closet or cleaning under the bed and you find a pair of skis you forgot you had.." - personally I find this last one just disrespectful to the ski full stop.
Bottom line is that you have your active quiver, but then you may also have some specialty skis you occasionally put into the rotation (i.e. Rock Skis), or skis that were at that have to buy it price where you just could not say no. Let's not forget about the back-up skis, promotional skis, retro skis, and most importantly skis that you have fun skiing but don't want people to know you ski. All I can say is we should all spend less time judging each others quivers and more time skiing. :)

locknload

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Wow just wow, not sure about the rest of you but I represent these comments. Quiver management is a complex and personal issue, so let's hit these one at a time:
  1. "You hide them from your wife" - yes but only when I am buying a new pair, and typically what I do is I hide them under a new pair of skis I bought for her. The truth is my wife doesn't miss a beat, so not sure I am really hiding anything from anyone and we both enjoy skiing our new skis lol
  2. "If you have more than 1 storage area for skis." - first define a storage area. second as long as you have the right organization system and can find your skis when you need them who cares - quiver control is what it really comes down too
  3. "If you have difficulty recalling how many skis you own (perhaps this also screens for mental competence?)." - look if you love something let it go, if you can't remember it than it was not really love. That said multi quiver management for a family of five is a challenge not to mention keeping track of skis you lent out ...quiver inventory management is key
  4. "If scraping and brushing summer storage wax off is a multi day task." - perhaps you just need a new scrapper with a razor sharp edge ;-)
  5. "If you're straightening up your closet or cleaning under the bed and you find a pair of skis you forgot you had.." - personally I find this last one just disrespectful to the ski full stop.
Bottom line is that you have your active quiver, but then you may also have some specialty skis you occasionally put into the rotation (i.e. Rock Skis), or skis that were at that have to buy it price where you just could not say no. Let's not forget about the back-up skis, promotional skis, retro skis, and most importantly skis that you have fun skiing but don't want people to know you ski. All I can say is we should all spend less time judging each others quivers and more time skiing. :)
Well said. Last year my youngest who is 13 said, "Dad..why do you have so many pairs of skis".....aah...so much yet to learn he has. I told him we'd tackle that question over time.

textrovert

Reelin' in the years
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Quite the contrary-when you stopped hiding them because she too lost count and couldn’t tell if these are new or not.
Getting bold. Posted new skis on Instagram story. Wife "liked it".
Thought the new move worked. Later that evening when she saw the boxes - "did you get new skis again?" :doh:

:roflmao:

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I think the term "quiver" needs to be subdivided, possibly into as many skis as you posses, into 1.Top Favorite for .... the days conditions, 2. Back ups for 1. , new, untested skis, 3. old favs that still can get some play time, 4. Skis you'e considering for retirement/moving on, 5. skis you no longer are interested in riding but have too many fond memories, 6. ........?

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I think the term "quiver" needs to be subdivided, possibly into as many skis as you posses, into 1.Top Favorite for .... the days conditions, 2. Back ups for 1. , new, untested skis, 3. old favs that still can get some play time, 4. Skis you'e considering for retirement/moving on, 5. skis you no longer are interested in riding but have too many fond memories, 6. ........?
With that we veer dangerously into Marie Kondo territory. Does this ski "spark joy"? Nope, out it goes to the trash.

Or to @crgildart. ;)

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
When this is your garage?!

Wall of Skis 1 of 2.JPG

Wall of Skis 2 of 2.JPG

(additional skis in storage unit not pictured, out of respect to their right to privacy)

:micdrop:

Sponsor

Staff online