• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado 2021-2022 Colorado Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Forecast for Monarch is 6-10” tomorrow night and 5-9” on Friday.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
The athletes are flooding the resorts! IMG_20211230_083829037_HDR.jpg
This one all the way from St. Louis. Enjoy the fresh!

Skiing was nice below treeline and pretty cold and windy above. Ptarmigan got a bit wind blown stiff. Finished the day with a pleasant Claimjumper tree run.

Attachments

• strava4989983238699473193.jpg
    strava4989983238699473193.jpg
    669.8 KB · Views: 9

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Oh my, massive grass fires and high winds have Lousiville and Superior evacuated.

This is from inside the Chuck-e-Cheese at US-36 and McCaslin:

That's in a large shopping center with Costco and Target and surrounded by residential neighborhoods. 36 is now closed at Interlocken.

I used to have a house in this neighborhood in Superior, Rock Creek:

With those winds, it will be a miracle if they can save the townhouses on the ridge up against the open space. They are on the west side of McCaslin. It looks like it's jumped the road from other videos. Yikes.

So many neighborhoods back up to open space in both Superior and Louisville. It looks like the fire is well into both towns beyond the perimeters. Prayers to all.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
This is horrible. So many homes. I heard on the news the new Hotel Element at 36 and McCaslin in the middle of the red area is a total loss. Countless fires all over Superior and Louisville.

Boulder Emergency Operations Center - Public Information Map 2021-12-30 16-08-28.jpg

Winds are still blowing like crazy, hopefully dying down through the evening.

Last edited:

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
This is unreal what is happening and they can’t fight it because the winds are too strong.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
This is unreal what is happening and they can’t fight it because the winds are too strong.
What's sad and ironic is the enormous air resources out of Rocky Mountain Airport next door that can't be flown due to the wind.

The fire is into the huge Rock Creek neighborhood in Superior. The firefighting aircraft take off over that neighborhood constantly.

Boulder County Sherrif said over 500 homes already burned in Superior in the neighborhoods surrounding the Costco off US-36. I'm in that Costco almost every week. It's by the Chuck-e-Cheeses in the post above.

Louisville across the highway looks to be in even worse shape. This was taken from the Avista Hospital off 36 a couple of hours ago:

Hard to imagine, but seems like thousands of homes will be lost. Hoping you are safe and wishing you the best @Mike King and @coskigirl.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: nay

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
This absolutely devastating for so many people. :( :( :(

The snow cant come soon enough. Forecasted to start tomorrow afternoon.

What a difference a few miles make. Winds about 25mph max gusts at my house (just south of Washington Park) while 10 miles away 100mph gusts. Crazy.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Crazy videos from people walking out of the Superior Costco:

Over 500 homes were lost in the neighborhoods surrounding the Costco, so that whole shopping center must be gone too.

Broomfield now has mandatory evacuations, including the Flatiron Crossing Mall and Interlocken Business Park where Vail Resorts has its HQ. You can see how many homes are in Superior between the Costco and Broomfield evacuation areas:

FH5TxqFXIAEsddZ.png

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Real-time fire map from satellite heat sensors:

Fire Map - NASA | LANCE | FIRMS 2021-12-30 18-58-26.png

Same, zoomed in where you can see how urban this area is:

1640916247793.png

Last edited:

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Huge evacuation and pre-evacuation areas give an idea of the scale. Thankfully all counties are now consolidated on the Boulder County map:

1640921945295.png

The good news is the wind seems to be dying down as forecast. Bad news is watching all the homes burning on live TV. :(

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

That's looking north with Superior in the foreground and Louisville in the background. Flatiron Crossing Mall is the large uninvolved commercial area to the east. Horrific.

Last edited:

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
10 pm news shows the fires have died way down along with the winds. They should be able to save homes now.

The news is reporting almost 600 homes burned.

It's hard to imagine, but thousands of homes may have been lost. Boulder County Sherrif said 580 homes burned in just the Sagamore and Old Town Superior neighborhoods around the Superior Costco I highlighted here:

Fires-from-airplane.png

Last edited:

afski722

Getting off the lift
Skier
What the he$%? End of December, that is insane.
Yeah, seeing all sorts of craziness on social media from friends who live in and around that area.

Yikes.

Mark in Boulder

Booting up
Skier
What a hell of a first post....I chose my screen name because I am from Boulder -- but actually now live in Lafayette. We are about 1/2 mile from the edge of the evacuation area. Have our bags packed and put the cats in the kitty carriers but luckily we didn't need to flee. At 4pm about 90 degrees of the horizon was an unbelievable grayish red glow. I've never seen anything like it before. Apocalyptic is the only word I can think of. The wind is now calm and we seem to be safe but an awful burned smell has settled over the neighborhood and I am staying up all night just in case. Thousands of people have lost everything. My heart goes out to them.

doc

Out on the slopes
Skier
We;come, Mark, and glad you and yours are OK. I can't imagine what those in the fires' path are going through.
I live in what I think is referred to as the wildfire interface in the mountains west of Denver, and this disaster is making me rethink the wisdom of continuing to live here.
My property feels like a tinder box ready to explode with the slightest ignition source. Never seen it so dry. Praying we get a decent amount of snow moisture in this upcoming store (there, I jinxed it).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online