• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2022 FIFA World Cup

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
It's always been that way for Euro cup competitions. The old Euro Cupwinners' Cup wouldn't have made sense if it was the Potential Cupwinners' Cup.

Plus outside Germany and Spain ( and France in the new PSG era) it is incredibly hard to maintain a squad capable of winning the domestic league and CL in the same season. Ask Man City for all their financial abuse.

Reactions: JCF

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
It's always been that way for Euro cup competitions. The old Euro Cupwinners' Cup wouldn't have made sense if it was the Potential Cupwinners' Cup.

Plus outside Germany and Spain ( and France in the new PSG era) it is incredibly hard to maintain a squad capable of winning the domestic league and CL in the same season. Ask Man City for all their financial abuse.
What they really oughta do is just form the super league. Have the best clubs just ditch their national leagues altogether, and have a real best-of-the-best league.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
What they really oughta do is just form the super league. Have the best clubs just ditch their national leagues altogether, and have a real best-of-the-best league.
Now I think you're just trolling

Last attempt lasted less than 48 hours only 2 years ago....

Reactions: JCF

JCF

Out on the slopes
Skier
And then what happens to the rest of the players / teams that aren't part of one of those "Supers" ?
Not a fan at all of the idea of the Super League and I do agree that the CL is not perfect, but neither are any of the competitions. I preferred it when only a limited number of non national players allowed on each team (and pre free agent baseball as well FWIW)
Still, all of the leagues are capable of producing wonderful drama at all levels on the table.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Now I think you're just trolling

A little, but I would like to see it. It would be an amazing league.

And then what happens to the rest of the players / teams that aren't part of one of those "Supers" ?

They become second division leagues basically.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Tell you what implement this merit based league system with promotion and relegation in the NFL and MLB first. Winner of the top division takes the title no stupid playoffs.

Then if you're still alive I think you're qualified to tell Europe how football should be run.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Then if you're still alive I think you're qualified to tell Europe how football should be run.
I'm not trying to turn European football into an American style sport. I'm just saying the best league would be one that takes the best clubs from all of Europe. It's the same concept as the Champions League, just more formalized and replacing/changing the current leagues.

I'm a Premiere League fan (Liverpool mainly) and watch a lot of games. I've even taken the Anfield stadium tour. Though I haven't watched them as much this season with how Liverpool has been doing and how skiing and travel have gotten in the way. I appreciate the lack of playoffs... although I'm always a little confused over the arguments against playoffs for regular leagues, but then having playoffs for Champions League. I suppose Champions League is less a league, and more an extended tournament like WC or the other continental tournaments.

JCF

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'm a Premiere League fan (Liverpool mainly) and watch a lot of games. I've even taken the Anfield stadium tour.
Oh - NOW I get it ;)
I suppose Champions League is less a league, and more an extended tournament like WC or the other continental tournaments.

There you go.

And that's what I like about the whole set-up. Though it is crazy how many different tournaments and additional matches are played (a result in part of the last time a super league was threatened, by the G-14 clubs with the creation of the Europa league)

The Super League would suck all the oxygen out of the any other division of play and those "second division" teams. It would be sad to see the century old rivalries between clubs and towns and parts of towns (love those Derby's ! ) become insignificant, or the chance of one of the lower rung teams ever having the chance to move up. Not sure where a team like Newcastle that was relegated a few years ago and now doing quite well again would end up or look like in a super league format.
The money is so huge in football and the Champions League that those "little things" like tradition and history will probably eventually be steamrolled (after all what does European tradition matter to a Saudi or Qatari ) and maybe one day there will be commercial breaks during games, which for me were the last straw for football American - just can't watch it anymore - but hopefully it won't happen anytime soon.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online