• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2024 East Coast Pugski/Renoun Gathering for the Eclipse. Dates: TBD

Where to go?

• Jay Peak

Votes: 8 34.8%
  • Sugarloaf

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • Stowe

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Smugglers Notch

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tuckermans

• Whiteface

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • Other

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
The traffic leaving was almost as amazing as the eclipse. My daughter left right after and didn’t make CT until 2 am via St Johnsbury. Nephew tried the same it too him 2 hrs from Morrisville to Wolcott then he gave up and came back. That’s about ten miles. A friend decided to wait a bit to let the traffic lighten. He left Colchester at 8 and needed 4 hrs to reach Lebanon!

James

Out There
Instructor
Wow, feel lucky! Leaving Waterbury within 10 minutes post totality was key. I would’ve gone 100 to 17, past Mad River Glen over the mountains and into the valley for Rte 7 south. But that would’ve been 4 3/4 hrs of “Why did we go this way??” questions. Instead, it was 6 hrs of “I can’t believe this traffic.”

91 South would’ve been ok except it’s down to one lane between ex 6 and 5 for bridge construction. Traffic was 0-10mph for quite a long ways. Then in Mass, people picked the exact point it goes to one lane near Greenfield to have an accident. So ambulance and cops and one lane. More huge backups.

James

Out There
Instructor

skiace84

Putting on skis
Skier
img_6346-jpg.40756

That's a cool pic, but it is definitely photoshopped.

MadPatSki's pic shows the actual wide angle view of the eclipse from Sugarloaf:
PatTSE_Sugarloaf.png

Sugaloaf was not far from the southern edge. Therefore the horizon below the eclipsed Sun was quite quite bright.

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
img_6346-jpg.40756

That's a cool pic, but it is definitely photoshopped.

MadPatSki's pic shows the actual wide angle view of the eclipse from Sugarloaf:
View attachment 233324

Sugaloaf was not far from the southern edge. Therefore the horizon below the eclipsed Sun was quite quite bright.
Very different angles and very different exposures...I don't think you can compare the two to justify the claim that one is real and the other isn't. One is taken with [probably] thousands of dollars of camera equipment, the other appears to be a cell phone camera (judging by the amount of noise reduction utilized). The top one would have been taken looking up the mountain, towards the summit (not across the horizon). It probably was taken with a longer lens...not a wide angle... in order to get the moon to appear larger, and more definition. It most likely was taken with a much faster shutter speed to show the sun's corona like it does, without washing it out. The skier is only shown because of the lighting set up behind them (otherwise the whole photo except the sun's corona would have been black).

There was A LOT of planning that went into the first photo...

MissySki

Rogue Assassin of Bad Puns.
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Very different angles and very different exposures...I don't think you can compare the two to justify the claim that one is real and the other isn't. One is taken with [probably] thousands of dollars of camera equipment, the other appears to be a cell phone camera (judging by the amount of noise reduction utilized). The top one would have been taken looking up the mountain, towards the summit (not across the horizon). It probably was taken with a longer lens...not a wide angle... in order to get the moon to appear larger, and more definition. It most likely was taken with a much faster shutter speed to show the sun's corona like it does, without washing it out. The skier is only shown because of the lighting set up behind them (otherwise the whole photo except the sun's corona would have been black).

There was A LOT of planning that went into the first photo...

Someone posted.. not sure if it was on the Unofficial Sugarloaf page or even the official one, a behind the scenes video short of the planning that went into the shot and showed getting setup on the trail with camera on a tripod etc. I think they said the imagining/planning for this shot was a year plus in the making. Very cool and I agree hard to compare with such different perspectives and equipment.

I just wouldn’t necessarily have wanted to be skiing during totality instead of experiencing it first hand the whole time! Lol. But the skier apparently didn’t care about that. :)

James

Out There
Instructor
It’s such a distortion of reality, it might as well be photoshopped together. Though the same thing could’ve been done on film.
We may see it on a ski topsheet though.

MissySki

Rogue Assassin of Bad Puns.
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Someone posted.. not sure if it was on the Unofficial Sugarloaf page or even the official one, a behind the scenes video short of the planning that went into the shot and showed getting setup on the trail with camera on a tripod etc. I think they said the imagining/planning for this shot was a year plus in the making. Very cool and I agree hard to compare with such different perspectives and equipment.

I just wouldn’t necessarily have wanted to be skiing during totality instead of experiencing it first hand the whole time! Lol. But the skier apparently didn’t care about that. :)

Here is the Facebook link I was talking about, if anyone is interested for the behind the scenes.

skiace84

Putting on skis
Skier
It’s such a distortion of reality, it might as well be photoshopped together.
Yes. The sky background was not remotely that dark, especially in the direction of the sun. Yet the corona has a relatively long exposure, as does the skier. So at a minimum shots with long and short exposures were combined. That's not necessarily a critique. The corona itself has such a wide range of brightness that realistic pictures have to be composites of several exposures, like this one from Mont Megantic:
gallery_279782_26056_12543728.png

Dean

Lawn chair sledder extraordinaire
Skier
from Zimbabwe who was over here for a couple months. One of the things he wanted to do was drive on the NJ turnpike. Because of Simon and Garf
Guess he had enough of walking under African skies.

Sponsor

Staff online