• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Utah 3 Weeks in Utah 2022 (Ikon Resorts)

TS
Chip

Chip

Out on the slopes
Skier
ikon pass priv at brighton is 9am to 9pm aka superday.

It maybe even that night skiing doesn't even use a day, if you start at 5pm.
A little unclear (you may need to ask and check)

On your bcc days, if you're into the unique regional cuisines, get garlic burger at cottonbottom (more of a dive bar, adults only, but they have fine outdoor patio)
My son will love this place- I'm sure we'll stop for a burger and maybe some beer....

Woodsrider427

Getting on the lift
Skier
So speaking of food- where are some must eat at places in the SLC area?
I know Red Iguana. What about Pretty Bird Chicken? Saw something about Feldman's Deli- and being from NJ- I do love me a Jewish Deli.
Jinya Ramen is one of our favorites. We go to the one in Murray but I believe there is one in SLC too.

Daniel

Out on the slopes
Skier
Last parking update for Chip. This past Saturday Solitude reached full parking capacity at 10:50 a.m. Brighton must have been packed that day because the line of cars heading up-canyon from Solitude was continuously backed up beyond the Moonbeam entrance from about 8:15 a.m. to 10:20 a.m. and typically only moving at a crawl. On Friday Solitude filled up about 95% of their parking spots and the Brighton traffic was close to as bad as on Saturday. On Sunday when I headed down canyon at 12:30 p.m. Solitude's parking was probably at 85 - 90% of capacity and customers likely never completely filled the lots. There also was no line of cars backed up 3 or so miles (at least not down to the Moonbeam entrance) heading to Brighton. Credit for lack of weekend skiers/snowboarders goes to the Super Bowl.

TS
Chip

Chip

Out on the slopes
Skier
Well the 4Runner is basically packed and ready to roll out in the morning. Planning on a 3 day drive and arriving in Sandy, Utah sometime Monday afternoon. The plan is to pick up the rentals for my buddy and then most likely hit Solitude Tuesday. Forecast is looking good for snow on Monday. Glad to see the mountains get a little refresh of snow prior to my arrival.
If anyone is around and wants to take a few runs with us- just hit me up. I've never skied at Solitude, Brighton or Snowbird so any advice is more than welcome. Plus I haven't skied Alta or Deer Valley since the 80's so I'm sure things have changed there as well- so any must do runs or little local secrets would be appreciated.

Larry

Out on the slopes
Skier
Well the 4Runner is basically packed and ready to roll out in the morning. Planning on a 3 day drive and arriving in Sandy, Utah sometime Monday afternoon. The plan is to pick up the rentals for my buddy and then most likely hit Solitude Tuesday. Forecast is looking good for snow on Monday. Glad to see the mountains get a little refresh of snow prior to my arrival.
If anyone is around and wants to take a few runs with us- just hit me up. I've never skied at Solitude, Brighton or Snowbird so any advice is more than welcome. Plus I haven't skied Alta or Deer Valley since the 80's so I'm sure things have changed there as well- so any must do runs or little local secrets would be be skiing Alta
If anyone is around and wants to take a few runs with us- just hit me up. I've never skied at Solitude, Brighton or Snowbird so any advice is more than welcome. Plus I haven't skied Alta or Deer Valley since the 80's so I'm sure things have changed there as well- so any must do runs or little local secrets would be appreciated.
I'm driving up this weekend for Cali. I'll probably ski Alta Wed/Thur or both. I'm an upper Intermediate

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Funny story-
When I last skied Alta a big group of us were staying in Park City and the multi day passes were also good at Deer Valley, but it was a $2 upcharge to ski there. Well a bunch of us went to DV and had a blast, but the most impressive thing (after the bathroom attendants) was the carving stations. I don't think I've ever seen a turkey that big before- the thing had to weigh 30lbs. A nice carved sandwich, bag of chips and a beer cost like $8 :yahoo:.

Well some of us wanted to go back a few days later and there were a few people that didn't want to go back because lunch was so expensive :doh:. The lunch at PCMR was only a dollar cheaper, but you got soggy fries with that....

Was this like, 1985? :P Those prices seem very low.

OK- so I'm old. It was around '85.

Heh heh... On a visit to SLC back in the early 80's, we went up to Solitude. It was Ladies Day. Lift tickets - $5, and half-day group lesson - $5 (for ladies).

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So speaking of food- where are some must eat at places in the SLC area?
I know Red Iguana. What about Pretty Bird Chicken? Saw something about Feldman's Deli- and being from NJ- I do love me a Jewish Deli.

We had a nice lunch at the Porcupine Pub & Grill - at the mouth of Big Cottonwood.

TS
Chip

Chip

Out on the slopes
Skier
Made it! Very uneventful drive across the country. Little snow to start off in today, but still able to drive fast...
Hitting Solitude Tuesday morning if anyone is around and wants to take some runs together hit me up.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I got to ski with @Chip and his friend Steve today at Solitude, 22 Feb 22. It was a beautiful morning, but cool.
L-R: Chip, Steve. Getting ready to enter Honeycomb Canyon.
stev chip soli pose 22 feb.jpg

On the Honeycomb traverse out to fresh pow.
stev chip soli 22 feb.jpg
Steve exploring Honeycomb Canyon at Solitude ski area, UT:
steve soli 22 feb.jpg
chip honeycomb
chip honeycomb 22 feb.jpg

I'll post some more shortly.

Last edited:

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
More from Solitude, 22 FEB, there were taken over by the Eagle Express chair:
c and s 22 feb.jpg
Chip is a good, strong skier.
chip eagle 22 feb.jpg
Steve is a gamer, even on his first day at altitude!
steve eagle 22 feb.jpg

It looks flat in photo below, but the run behind Chip is called Challenger and it's considered the steepest groomer in Utah.
chip challenger 22 feb.jpg

Larry

Out on the slopes
Skier
Looks like it was a little sunnier over there then Alta today. Started off sunny but had mix of cloud/sun most of the day. Nice day too but somewhat cool at least for me(about 14 degrees??)

TS
Chip

Chip

Out on the slopes
Skier
Looks like it was a little sunnier over there then Alta today. Started off sunny but had mix of cloud/sun most of the day. Nice day too but somewhat cool at least for me(about 14 degrees??)
I think the clouds started rolling in around 10:30ish. Temps were about the same.
But the sun was a welcome surprise for us, and was nice while it lasted.

P-Ute

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
A few more of @Chip and Steve enjoying some Utah Powder (and wind buff) in Honeycomb Canyon this morning.

@chip In Honeycomb Canyon.jpg

@Chip in Honeycomb Canyon #2.jpg
Steve in Honeycomb Canyon.jpg

Sponsor

Staff online