• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Any native Finnish speakers here?

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
I'd like know if it's ok to use 'Sielulintu' as a boat name, or does it just smack as ignorant cultural appropriation? Thanks in advance. FWIW, the boat was built in Finland.

James

Out There
Instructor
Tdk6 on epic is Finnish. Not sure what he was here. I’m pretty sure he’s triggerboy62 on youtube who posts lots of wcup free skiing vids.
That would be a mouthful calling the coast guard.

TS
markojp

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
Tdk6 on epic is Finnish. Not sure what he was here. I’m pretty sure he’s triggerboy62 on youtube who posts lots of wcup free skiing vids.
That would be a mouthful calling the coast guard.

It may well get 'Englished ' for exactly that reason. Yeah, it's a compound word in Finnish. Sielu (soul) Lintu (bird) is my understanding.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It may well get 'Englished ' for exactly that reason. Yeah, it's a compound word in Finnish. Sielu (soul) Lintu (bird) is my understanding.
I like half and half: Soulintu.

It's also a play on soul into.

TS
markojp

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
Sadly it looks like the deal won't go through. I can deal with one big 'get it sorted now' issue on an older boat, but not two. Hull/decks, rig, engine are the big three. If I can spread the work over time, I'm happy to do the work. Thought it was probably only engine, but the deck has issues. The deck was re-teaked, but there was a small but critical mistake made in the installation, and there's wet core... probably a fair amount. We'll see. The current owner's going to be really bummed. Who knows? If the price accommodates the fix(es), could still work. It just kills me when owners let absolutely fabulous older Swans and Baltics go to crap from lack of attention... I mean just keep doing the little things, and the big ones are much fewer and farther between. If you can't or don't like taking care of a boat yourself, or don't have the resources to hire someone to manage the upkeep for you, don't own a boat. Any boat. Big or small. Period. Missed a great boat earlier this summer... just wasn't ready, but it got the mental ball rolling. We'll see.

Last edited:

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
The two best days of owning a boat...

TS
markojp

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
Selling my old one wasn't one of them.

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I assume you had a good surveyor so what is under the teak?
Laid decks are beautiful but a PIA to fix . Dynel is the best underlayment if you decide to re-do it , tough, waterproof and ( relatively) cheap. If the substrate is leaded canvas over plywood you may be able to address the problem from the back side /inside by cutting and patching and epoxy. If you decide to buy the boat, let me know -I’ll research my collection of boat repair books and articles. In the meantime,
you can search the Woodenboat magazine database for deck repair- it’s an invaluable resource.

TS
markojp

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
The deck work would have to be done from below which is a real PIA, then the teak re-caulked... or just strip the teak and work from above, then glass. The teak itself is still roughly 12mm thick, which if properly cared for can last a good while longer. No survey just yet. Borrowed a moisture meter and had access to a spot that wasn't covered by a headliner... pegged it. Wet core. I've worked with wet core before on my old boat. It wasn't all too bad if you're working on a glassed deck. The ingress is from something that looks almost like a lot of nothing from the deck. The installation flaw was that they used (a very few) small screws to hold the new planking down while it was being glued. The screw heads (and they are small) were caulked over, and the caulk didn't bond to the screw heads properly. I'm sure if the owner had used the boat much at all, they'd have seen this and had it addressed, but when you don't use a boat, the boat gets angry... rightfully so.

Sponsor