• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Anything as good as flouro spray wax?

dcoral

Putting on skis
Skier
I had been using Swix HF7 spray wax to prep all my skis before trips, but now flouro is phased out. I am not familiar with other products. Is there anything that is as good? What would be the nearest equivalent replacement? This is the purple one for the temp range of -2°C to -7°C (28°F to 19°F).

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've made the switch to the Swix HS line and it seems fine, but I'm honestly looking for base care first, and glide performance second. I suspect the Toko stuff is just as good; I just happened to score a good deal on the Swix, so stocked up.

The Dominator paste waxes are highly regarded, but seem outrageously expensive to me.

TS
D

dcoral

Putting on skis
Skier
I see that there are also some C6 flouro waxes on the market (supposed to not be as harmful as C8 formulas). Are the C6 waxes here to stay or also on the way out? Are those nearly as good as the old C8 PFAS ones?

snwbrdr

Out on the slopes
Skier
I had been using Swix HF7 spray wax to prep all my skis before trips, but now flouro is phased out. I am not familiar with other products. Is there anything that is as good? What would be the nearest equivalent replacement? This is the purple one for the temp range of -2°C to -7°C (28°F to 19°F).
Swix claims their HS additives are faster than the old HF waxes. Swix has a Youtube video on it.

snwbrdr

Out on the slopes
Skier
I find this hard to believe.

1707248487813.png

And HS is lower on the hierarchy, compared to the old HF
1707248845645.png

Last edited:

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
@snwbrdr marketing is one thing, not edited real tests (this spreadsheet from video, but not one of 1000 or not edited one) are another. And in 99.9%, new TS line is unfortunately nowhere near speed of old HF and fluoro overlays. Tested by Swix own tecnicians, both alpine and xc side, and plenty other technicians not involved with wax producers at all.

snwbrdr

Out on the slopes
Skier
@snwbrdr marketing is one thing, not edited real tests (this spreadsheet from video, but not one of 1000 or not edited one) are another. And in 99.9%, new TS line is unfortunately nowhere near speed of old HF and fluoro overlays. Tested by Swix own tecnicians, both alpine and xc side, and plenty other technicians not involved with wax producers at all.
So, what's your source for the TS line no where near the speed of the old HF?

Can't claim BS on me and then not back it up with a source.

jt10000

步步高升
Skier
So, what's your source for the TS line no where near the speed of the old HF?
I can't help but notice a shift here: "TS line no where near the speed" is not the same as "TS is not faster." I did not say the former. I'll defend the latter:
  • Fluorinated being faster relative to non-flurorinated in most conditions for well over 15 years.
  • Swix not making "TS" before being forced to.
  • A person in the Boulder Nordic annual saying it's not (this a couple issues ago) (and @Primoz here too - believe him about wax).
Can't claim BS on me and then not back it up with a source.
Again, I'm calling BS on them, not you.

Last edited:

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
@snwbrdr my source are people who perform 1000s of tests each season (read: technicians on both xc and alpine World cup, including technicians from Swix, in particular guy on skis from your screenshot ;) ), and who are really good friends for decades so I believe they have no reason to lie to me. I have personally seen results from quite few tests, as I still help few friends from time to time, if they are in hurry and need extra hand (actually legs to attach skis on and slide down) during tests. So that's my source. Not really marketing stuff but real life data straight from tests.
But thing is, fluoro waxes are gone. It doesn't matter if they are faster or not, and it doesn't matter if we like this or not, they are gone. Very soon stock in those few stores that still might sell old stock, will run out (mine will last a little longer as half of all World cup fluoro stock somehow ended in my basement :ogbiggrin: ), and then we are left with non-fluoro only, so it's pretty useless to stress if fluoro is faster or not. Soon it won't be possible to get it anymore, so even if faster, it's irrelevant.

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I have 10-15KG of fluor waxes, but I made a switch a few years ago to non fluor and I have to say its working out way better than expected. only time I feel fluor is better is WET WET WET snow

what is the usecase? spring snow or win races though?

here even youth races are now beeing tested for fluor, I joked when servicing my friends, kid' race skis about using fluor wax and he panicked ! ;D

Sponsor

Staff online