• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
I've tested the prototypes for the new company that replaces ABOM. The production run of new goggles will arrive in August. The sales will all be online (not in ski retail shops). The online sales and marketing website will launch in approx Sept-Oct. The goggles have easily replaceable inexpensive tinted lenses which encourage a quiver of lens types. The goggles will be significantly less expensive than the prior ABOM. They are simpler to use as well. That is all I am at liberty to say, including the name of the new brand and company.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Yay for cheaper, but how well do they work? How long does the battery last?

Of course, I have three pairs of Aboms due to the battery issue, so I doubt I'll need these new ones soon.

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
Yay for cheaper, but how well do they work? How long does the battery last?

Of course, I have three pairs of Aboms due to the battery issue, so I doubt I'll need these new ones soon.

The batteries lasted 2 days for me, in the available conditions I was skiing in. They were prototypes, so of course we found a few items needing changes. But battery life was not one of those issues. I'll be testing the final product once they (and snow) are available.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I've been after a clear pair of windjackets for a while now.

I will use these for indoor skiing (jersey), night skiing and for anytime I want eye protection but no shading.

I'm stoked.

20230803_140811.jpg
20230803_140802.jpg
20230803_140759.jpg
20230803_140725.jpg

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Nice!!!
With Mammoth finally closing, indoor skiing is sounding really good, especially for breaking in new gear!

Zirbl

Out on the slopes
Skier
Untill we have some reliable reviews we won’t know. Rumors are these are awesome in terms of clarity but time will tell I guess…
Back to the Atomic story - next season's catalogue is out, but I don't see any touted differences to last season's lenses. "HD" lenses with crystals that suppress cyan and let in blue and red. Same principle as most major companies's lenses, same method as last season, same tints available. Am I missing something? Anyone heard more about them since?

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I will always be an Oakley windjacket girl but I did have a couple of new discoveries.

Glade Fathom + are goggles I can wear. They have an extra large toric lense and zero blind spots for me. I wore them all day today. They have a magnetic lense so swapping is easy. Although the main lense is a photochromatic so really no need to change. They do come with a low light lens which I used all day today. They are pretty amazing.

Glade also makes photochromatic sunglasses which are perfect when I don't need the goggles for extra warmth.

I have my happy combo. These goggles are outstanding. Plus they aren't expensive. Michael has a pair also as well as a few friends. One heck of a goggle. I have always, always hated goggles, until these came along....................

1713753985526.png

James

Out There
Instructor
I will always be an Oakley windjacket girl but I did have a couple of new discoveries.

Glade Fathom + are goggles I can wear. They have an extra large toric lense and zero blind spots for me. I wore them all day today. They have a magnetic lense so swapping is easy. Although the main lense is a photochromatic so really no need to change. They do come with a low light lens which I used all day today. They are pretty amazing.

Glade also makes photochromatic sunglasses which are perfect when I don't need the goggles for extra warmth.

I have my happy combo. These goggles are outstanding. Plus they aren't expensive. Michael has a pair also as well as a few friends. One heck of a goggle. I have always, always hated goggles, until these came along....................

View attachment 234318
Have you looked into any of the Julbo windjacket like types?
The Density, Fury, Edge, Ultimate Cover, Rush. There’s a bunch, all a bit different.

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
Have you looked into any of the Julbo windjacket like types?
The Density, Fury, Edge, Ultimate Cover, Rush. There’s a bunch, all a bit different.
Julbo is great. They are higher quality than Glade but also a higher price point. I enjoy Glade goggles a lot for their price point. They have a very wide field of vision and don't fog. Their limitation is on the very sunny spring days i would prefer a darker lens. You can't go wrong with Glade or Julbo, and it just comes down to price point.

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
Julbo is great. They are higher quality than Glade but also a higher price point. I enjoy Glade goggles a lot for their price point. They have a very wide field of vision and don't fog. Their limitation is on the very sunny spring days i would prefer a darker lens. You can't go wrong with Glade or Julbo, and it just comes down to price point.
When I bought new goggles Julbo was the only company that made a photocromatic lens that went from cat 1 to cat 4. Night skiing to above treeline in the sun. Yes pricey but for my eyes worth every penny!

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier

I do know several people with glades and they love them. My SO has experienced the limitation in sun you mention. I've only had 2 days on them and it wasn't really sunny. I'm just excited I found a pair of goggles I can wear because I haven't until now. The photochromatic sunglasses are pretty cool as well. I wore the photochromatic sunglasses in flat light on saturday afternoon and they were excellent.

The glade fathom + has a extra wide toric lense so there's zero blind spot for me. Does Julbo have wide visibility like glade does because that's my issue 100% with every other pair of goggles I've tried. My fathom + ones are the most expensive of the glades and seem on par with what I've seen for Julbo.

Those sunny spring days are coming up so it'll be interesting to experience. If it's warm enough I wear sunglasses anyway so the goggles will go away.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
When I bought new goggles Julbo was the only company that made a photocromatic lens that went from cat 1 to cat 4. Night skiing to above treeline in the sun. Yes pricey but for my eyes worth every penny!

I have clear windjackets I wear for night skiing or when at the indoor skiing place. Glades photochromatic sunglasses worked great on saturday in the flat light. My glades are the same price as the Julbos I've seen so maybe I'm missing the expensive ones. I'll have to read up on Julbos as they do look pretty cool so always up for options. Their windjacket types look great too.

James

Out There
Instructor
Julbo makes a 0-4 photochromic lens now.

I'll have to read up on Julbos as they do look pretty cool so always up for options.
You should be able to get registered at outdoorprolink.com since you work at Magic.

Sponsor

Staff online