• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Binding holes drilled wrong

TS
everest8850

everest8850

cruising along
Skier
Have you ever used Nordic screws instead of Alpine?

Plugs: no not yet. I’m gonna relook the skis to see if I can fit all four in at slight angles instead of messing with a plug-and-redrill step.

Nordic screws? Not investigated that at all. How are they different ? Thanks for weighing in

These skis with the current problem are Hagan ‘s approach skis ( Offlimits ) that are an ‘experiment’. At $80 used, not too much of a heartbreak if they don’t work out

TS
everest8850

everest8850

cruising along
Skier
I'll look into them! In the meantime drilling the holes in the second ski went a lot better thanks to advice from these quarter. I really whacked in a sharp wood drill bit tip into the marked section on the template instead of the using the holepunch; made a small nascent hole in the top sheet; removed the paper template; matched the actual binding to the holes - all before making the final drill with a stepped drill bit. I'll be glueing in the screws next week...Much better lined up holes! Thanks everyone!!
image1.jpeg

TS
everest8850

everest8850

cruising along
Skier
Getting better on my second pair of skis! The drill guide helped keep the holes nearlybdead vertical. Finishing up tomorrow and then both pairs will have the glue and screws worked in
344C924B-2279-4298-9710-499A66C29FD5.jpeg

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The question is not stripped hole but relocating it. In most cases is how to make it hold while enlarging it enough to allow screw entry.

I’ve used stranded copper wire (no insulation) as it gives a little to form into the hole, together with epoxy or almost any other adhesive (in emergency or what’s available) works well.

This is old school prior to helicoils and inserts.

TS
everest8850

everest8850

cruising along
Skier
Do you insert a few strands vertically into the expanded drilled hole? Sounds similar to stacking the hole with a bamboo or hard wood plug with epoxy, sanding flush and then screwing in

Sponsor

Staff online