• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Bindings for White Out

puptwin

good ideas, poorly executed
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So, I jumped on the Blossom White Out bandwagon and picked up a pair. I was most interested in the Vist Speedlock system but it looks like they are not compatible with my boots so the skis are coming to me flat. These are the binding options I am considering.

System adjustable:
- Tyrolia Freeflex Demo 14 GW
- Tyrolia PRD 12 GW

Fixed Mount:
- Look Pivot 12 GW
- Marker XComp 12 GW

I would like to get it right, please pass along any thoughts on these or others I missed.

Thanks!

Dakine

Far Out
Inactive
These are carving machines.
Mine are fitted with a Marker WC Piston Plate and Excel 16 clamps.
So are my #1SCs.
Why go with a binding setup that won't let them flex freely?

TS
puptwin

puptwin

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
This is how you learn things. Don't want to do something cringe-worthy.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Picking binding setups these days is more about stack height, binding delta, and impact on ski flex. Make sure you understand those facets of any binding you're considering.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Hmm, a 77 mm waisted all-mountain with a strong on-piste bias.
If you are going to be using it as a carver -
System adjustable:
Fixed Mount:
Tyrolia Freeflex ST16.

If you are going more soft-snow off-piste:
Fixed Mount: Look Pivot 15.
System adjustable: Your guess is probably better than mine.

flbufl

Getting on the lift
Skier
Think about this. A very similar ski, Stockli Laser AX. Stockli paired it with the Salomon Warden 13. As far as I know, no one has complained about it.

So, I jumped on the Blossom White Out bandwagon and picked up a pair. I was most interested in the Vist Speedlock system but it looks like they are not compatible with my boots so the skis are coming to me flat. These are the binding options I am considering.

System adjustable:
- Tyrolia PRD 12 GW

Fixed Mount:
- Look Pivot 12 GW
- Marker XComp 12 GW

I would like to get it right, please pass along any thoughts on these or others I missed.

Thanks!

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Mine have Pivot 14s - used 2nd hand came with them. After skiing them a lot, appropriate, even though I don't really care about Pivots one way or the other.

I believe mine were set up when the Pivot 15 was not available. So Pivot 15, I second, for both the on piste and off. (Unless you want to push them more towards on piste use, or experiment with mount points. With the Pivots, they are great on piste already, though not as specialized.)

Those wide shovels are there for a reason, I gather: they are in big ways not like the AX, except in excellence.

With these bindings, In terms of carve on piste, they turn more like a more round-turn shape AR than a 175 or shorter AX, with a bit more pronounced turn, but with more forgiveness also. A strongly sideshape/sidecut-effected carve, you see. In the fall line body separation/upper body still turns, that ski is a "cheater" for.

But in terms of a soft snow day (up to maybe 3-4" for me personally), and a soft snow day in crud and bumps, the reason for the wide shovel becomes apparent, and versatile, in a way the AX doesn't work. The whiteouts do not stall, catch, hook, dive, etc. in soft snow bumps and crud, that I can tell. And they float some. A very pleasant surprise when I found this out. I'd just switched to them from my AX, because with some wind drifts, the AX was getting overpowered in the depth inconsistencies. Not the Whiteout.

(Don't get me wrong, I love both skis: just different, and different strengths.)

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
You would choose the Pivot 15 for a low stance height, short wheel base (less impact on ski flex), and fantastic elasticity (travel) in the release mechanism. I'm not sure about the Pivot 15 delta offhand, so that's the last piece to check.

TS
puptwin

puptwin

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I appreciate all the responses. @François Pugh makes a great point regarding intended use. I plan on using them here in the NE when the snow is decent but mostly saving them for trips out West; so soft snow conditions. I've been migrating towards narrower skis and the idea of a narrow all-mountain just fits the direction I'm going. I’ve been reviewing Pivot 15 discussions here and elsewhere and it does look (no pun) like the right choice. Thanks again for the comments, guidance, and to Phil/Trish for creating such a great community.

@Noodler, Blister reported a 1-mm delta for the Pivot 18 in an article from 2018. Based on Phil's binding summary from earlier this season I'm guessing the P15 will be the same.

TS
puptwin

puptwin

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Should have thanked Tricia, have a friend Trish so that's what came out when I was typing.

Sponsor

Staff online