• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Bring a Trailer and Cars & Bids Appreciation Thread

James

Out There
Instructor
Now this is an ugly vehicle.
View attachment 112698

Valuable though.
Hah. Always loved it. The Lanborghini LM was Phil Hill’s favorite vehicle. That’s what I recall him saying in RoadnTrack.

Some years ago we did a car “factory” tour in Italy. The only factories we really went to were Lamborghini and Ducati. Pagani, but it was basically a small carbon fiber shop, nothing going on that day, projects were under sheets so we couldn’t see. Very small. They had a finished car and his open wheel racer he designed and built at 19. Which was incredible.

Anyway, at Lambo we’re being shown around and I pointed out the LM and said I loved it. The lady who worked for Lambo started talking to our tour guide rapidly in Italian. He told us later she couldn’t believe anyone liked the LM.
Coolest thing about the factory was the plastic protection panels they put on the body while they go through the build. They could seriously market those things. We weren’t allowed to take photos as I recall.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
1985_volkswagen_cabriolet_160240150062cb79df20-10-1985-VW-Cabriolet-57-scaled.jpg

$70K!!!!!

James

Out There
Instructor
it’s a chick car in an older guy champagne color. No wonder it didn’t sell.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Pictures are interesting, in terms of the color. Very different. “Flash Silver” of that era, as I recall was a real silver, not so much champagne. But then again, who would match that roof color {and I guess the interior} to a true silver German car?

Presume the buyer knew and was pleased with the real color.....for his $75K. Wow!

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
It took at least two to get to that dollar figure.

It looks like the secret is out with the Cabriolets. Personally, I would love to have a later model because it checks many of the boxes. The later ones had the GTI motor, the nicer Jetta interior and they were built in Germany and not Westmoreland Pa. Most of them were either third cars/garage queens or driven lightly by the poster child sorority girl.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
I've loved the first generation Bronco since it was introduced. My uncle was a Ford and Jeep dealer and my dad and I tried SO HARD to get my mom to give up her Wagoneers {new one every three years} and get a Bronco. No chance, too small, too much of a truck. So, we did get to borrow one every now and then. There is something about the lines, the size......Then, we started to notice how they rusted pretty badly in New England. A shame.

I wonder what the margin on these works out to be? My hunch is not as much as some think. This work....ground up assembly line, plus lots of custom work is incredibly expensive. We have a friend who runs the premier MB Gullwing restoration shop in the country. About 25 years ago, they began to do more Ferrari work, some Porsche stuff. Some are actually unrestored originals, but others are essentially complete rebuilds. Including building body panels, doors, frames, you name it. it blows my mind how many customers will spend seven figures at that shop, with some projects taking multiple years.

Not sure if any of these "new custom" Broncos form this builder, as well as the high end restorations have hit BAT. Haven't really watched. A number of the Wagoneers have, as I recall. And of course the all restored, like new, Defenders. Headed to the Hamptons or Nantucket, I'd bet.

Obviously people with a lot of resources love these things! Guess it does not take too many. Wow.

OldJeep

Getting off the lift
Skier
TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
What's a Peabody tank? Some Googling just finds these...

View attachment 114494
You aren't old enough to get the joke, Mr. Sherman and Peabody.
mr-peabody-sherman-ss1.jpg

About a genius dog and his adopted boy. It is from the Jay Ward universe.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
You aren't old enough to get the joke, Mr. Sherman and Peabody.
mr-peabody-sherman-ss1.jpg

About a genius dog and his adopted boy. It is from the Jay Ward universe.
Oh! I'm not that young. I watched that a bunch on reruns as a kid. (And saw the movie from a few years ago.) Never put "Sherman Tank" and "Peabody Tank" together though... was it in an episode? Or some other reference?

Sponsor

Staff online