• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Bring a Trailer and Cars & Bids Appreciation Thread

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Well that’s why it’s the same as electric from a distance. silent = silent.
Or now you’re talking gearbox sounds? Because that’s what your left with.

Even very old small model slot cars ( mid 70’s) had a more interesting sound then the newer, much faster cars. They also took some time to get up to speed, which is a more interesting experience.
I guess I don't know what I want a car to sound like. But when I've heard loud v8 engines, or high revving engines, in street or a few race cars, my first thought has not been "that sounds awesome". It's more often been that's too loud and annoying.

I've never been trackside/ in the stands for a real race though. I would like to do that sometime.

doc

Out on the slopes
Skier
Different perspective of the driver and of the listener. I have two Audi RS4s (4.2L V8) both with aftermarket exhausts - one a JHM and the other a Capristo. I love driving and listening to them - from the driver's seat. Someone else driving them and I'm on the side of the road - not so much.

Joby Graham

Getting off the lift
Skier
I guess I don't know what I want a car to sound like. But when I've heard loud v8 engines, or high revving engines, in street or a few race cars, my first thought has not been "that sounds awesome". It's more often been that's too loud and annoying.

I've never been trackside/ in the stands for a real race though. I would like to do that sometime.
I was lucky enough in my teens in the'60s to go to F1, Can-Am, Trans Am, Indy Car, F-5000, 24/12/6 hr endurance races, AMA road racing, etc.
There's nothing like the sound of an 8 liter Can-Am, 917 Porsche, or a Matra V-12.

James

Out There
Instructor

Some are awesome, some annoying.
It’s different with a race. Esp with the doppler shifts. The most annoying street engine sounds are loud harleys. Intolerable.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Some are awesome, some annoying.
It’s different with a race. Esp with the doppler shifts. The most annoying street engine sounds are loud harleys. Intolerable.

I found it interesting that the 1966 BRM P83 F1 had its tach turned away from 'plumb'. I suppose that is so the more pertinent numbers are more readily visible.

It also brought back memories of my 1/32 scale slot cars which where that vintage of F1 body.

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I love those 60’s F-1 cars, especially Lotus. Could be a slot car thing but perhaps it’s the thought they were actually still drivable by mortals .

James

Out There
Instructor
Speaking of F-1, manuals, and power. The late 80’s, early 1990s turbo cars had 1200 hp and a manual. (Over 400 more than today. ) Was it sequential or h pattern?

Here’s Lewis Hamilton driving Ayrton Senna’s McClaren MP44 at 11:15. It’s really crazy with that much power and little downforce.

Last edited:

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Sequential gear boxes weren't widely used in F1 until the early 90's.

As far as driving the 60's cars, I'm not sure they were an easy drive for mere mortals.. Like, yeah, the controls were roughly like regular cars..but dynamically, they had no downforce, went extremely fast and spun very quickly. If you could get started in one of today's cars, you could tool around in it with no issues whatsoever. And the g-forces would be alien to you so you'd never get yourself in trouble. In those old cars..man. I can't imagine driving a Ford GT-40 at Le Mans..terrible downforce.. That is about as close to grim death most people would get if they tried to go top speed in one of those buckets.

Joby Graham

Getting off the lift
Skier
I found it interesting that the 1966 BRM P83 F1 had its tach turned away from 'plumb'. I suppose that is so the more pertinent numbers are more readily visible.

It also brought back memories of my 1/32 scale slot cars which where that vintage of F1 body.
Most race cars I've driven have had the gauges rotated so that at redline or optimal temps/pressures, the indicator needles are pointing straight up. Painted lines or pinstripe tape are also used on the instrument faces to create a " safe high/low range" - if the needle is in that segment of the dial, all is good. Quick and easy at a glance when things get hectic.

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Most race cars I've driven have had the gauges rotated so that at redline or optimal temps/pressures, the indicator needles are pointing straight up. Painted lines or pinstripe tape are also used on the instrument faces to create a " safe high/low range" - if the needle is in that segment of the dial, all is good. Quick and easy at a glance when things get hectic.
Same thing in a lot of the helicopters I flew in back in my wildfire days - rotated so they pointed in the same direction and could be checked with a glance.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Not on BaT but this is pretty cool... 83 Beetle with 121 miles

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
1941_stuart_m3_1624997888bf2e1b276f7ebd5DSC_0873.jpg

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Reminds me of my old ones

1992_mazda_mx-5_miata_16261076162d00579fffddbaDSC09201.jpg

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
@Philpug, think it will bring as much as yours did?
The color is a great one, so perfect. Odd, as I recall that when new, the SBY didn't sell so well?
I much prefer this to the tank, BTW. That's now at $175K with a half hour left. Who knew about tanks?

I have a local friend who had a VERY nice Miata, he being the second owner, and the first being a fanatic who races them SCCA. That car was his fun car, not a track car. So my friend turns 60, he and his wife retire, and she decides that they need a Healey 3000. Miata sold, locally. Healey bought....and not cheap. It's nice. Two tone blue.

I have a college friend who I think just did the same. I know they have a "new" bright red Healey. And he had a Miata as his daily driver.

I'll have to compare notes. My local friend told me, out of earshot of his wife, that while the Healey "is neat and hits the nostalgia button, he would MUCH rather drive the Miata. Better driver in every way. And if he's going more than 15 miles from home, no contest!

This auction will be fun to watch, I think/hope.

Last edited:
TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Philpug, think it will bring as much as yours did?
IMHO, it will smoke mine ($11,250, 36K, Hardtop). I would be very surprised if it brings less than $15K. If I still had mine, it would have about 50-60K on the odometer and that many more miles over the 36K that was on it when I auctioned it along with the wear and tear and the cost of upkeep in that time and cost of insuring ect. Plus the loss of a garage stall that we need for work. With all that considered, in todays economy, mine would probably draw the same number as this one, basically swapping hardtop for miles. I have no regrets auctioning mine when I did.

The color is a great one, so perfect. Odd, as I recall that when new, the SBY didn't sell so well?
You ar correct, the Sunburst did not sell well when new. It is one of those colors that have much more demand as a used car than a new one.

Sponsor