• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Different qualities of different FIS SL skis

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We were just with Dynstar last night, I asked of there was going to be a special Rockerrace to go on these. :popcorn:
With so much FIS SL fervor in this group, we should be able to convince Dynastar to make a run of these golden Course skis. My credit card is standing by...

Lusti Northeast

Booting up
Skier
Yup, as we previously discussed, true race stock is not available to the public, nor would most folks enjoy then: https://www.skitalk.com/threads/any-input-on-blizzard-fis-sl-skis.23696/page-3#post-743484

Ultimately, the goal of a race ski is to go fast and win, be it at local Junior or Masters races, NCAA events, FIS NorAm or EC competition, on up to the WC.

It is quite evident which skis are being used in these races and which are winning.

Along with long time alpine racing stalwarts like Atomic/Salomon, Rossignol/Dynastar, Nordica/Blizzard, Head, Fischer, Volkl, and Stockli, even newcomers like Kastle and Van Deer are being raced to some degree at every level and are even getting on podiums.

Where are Blossom or Lusti in this mix of race skis? Have you seen any in use at your local Junior, Masters, and NCAA races? How about reports of their success at higher FIS levels--races that document what skis are used and are winning? If Blossom, Lusti, and other boutique makers are effective and competitive for alpine racing, why are they not better represented at races and on podiums?
The answer is, budget. The large manufacturers pay tons to get their top skin on a top level racers feet. The small producers don't play the game. They build good solid gear and get it out into the field.

When I was racing back in my younger years, I had some well known ski and boot makers trying to get me on their gear. It was great as I had opportunities to test out a lot of products; most of which I was not too excited over. Just because it was free to use was not a reason to use it. Experience has taught me to go with what works best and for me you already know my particular choice. I could care less who is wearing some top skin on a podium. It's all marketing.

Last edited:

Oskuk

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I bet that: As retired wc-racers do not ski with race-boots, they also do no ski with race-skis. They have better time without. Just recalled video ex-racer laughed he needed 2 techs to keep his boot open to get in, and out. Not something one usually wants for skiing...but that thing about: can you ski slow with wc-ski? Sure, you can drive slow the F1 car too, to go shopping some weggies! ;-D -and also that curve/tipping/canting power thing. You can get your skis to carve tighter that theis calculated curve in meters. Always did, even with "straights skis" And the shape of curve where ski is is depending also: are you using the pushing-power to the tip/middle or rear part of ther ski. Logical, eh?

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I bet that: As retired wc-racers do not ski with race-boots, they also do no ski with race-skis. They have better time without. Just recalled video ex-racer laughed he needed 2 techs to keep his boot open to get in, and out. Not something one usually wants for skiing...but that thing about: can you ski slow with wc-ski? Sure, you can drive slow the F1 car too, to go shopping some weggies! ;-D -and also that curve/tipping/canting power thing. You can get your skis to carve tighter that theis calculated curve in meters. Always did, even with "straights skis" And the shape of curve where ski is is depending also: are you using the pushing-power to the tip/middle or rear part of ther ski. Logical, eh?

No one or almost no one here skis real World Cup ski. Most of us are on what’s available to the public as FIS SL skis.
Skiing of which doesn’t require anything past half-decent technique and ability to more or less stand upright in a pair of ski boots.

As for skiing tighter turns, I kindly encourage you to ski a whole day a pair of Stockli WRT or similar 16-19 rec ski at 11-12 meters then report how it went.

Last edited:

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
As for skiing tighter turns, I kindly encourage you to ski a whole day a pair of Stockli WRT or similar 16-19 rec ski at 11-12 meters then report how it went.
It's all a reflection on your (my) fitness level.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
You can get your skis to carve tighter that theis calculated curve in meters. Always did, even with "straights skis" And the shape of curve where ski is is depending also: are you using the pushing-power to the tip/middle or rear part of ther ski. Logical, eh?
Well, the point of pressure application migrates down the ski as the turn progresses. So, " All of the above."

Sponsor

Staff online

• Philpug
    Notorious P.U.G.
  • Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
  • Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid