• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Easiest new(er) bindings to self mount on vintage Hexcel skis?

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
So it looks like I am acquiring a pair of Hexcel Bluelight skis, same as I had back when they were new. What's a good set of new(er) bindings that would be easy for me to mount myself so that I can bring them out for fun on late season days? I really don't trust any shop to do it properly. I'm well versed in all sorts of fabrication, so layout and materials isn't an issue. Just want something simple, and I don't need anything very stout as my normal DIN setting is 6 (the bindings Ive been on most lately are Marker TP2/10s). Ease of locating position and then set-up of the binding is paramount.
Thanks!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Most 10-12 "Junior" race bindings will have a narrow brake. Remember that Hexels require a special mounting process with epoxy.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
So it looks like I am acquiring a pair of Hexcel Bluelight skis, same as I had back when they were new. What's a good set of new(er) bindings that would be easy for me to mount myself so that I can bring them out for fun on late season days? I really don't trust any shop to do it properly. I'm well versed in all sorts of fabrication, so layout and materials isn't an issue. Just want something simple, and I don't need anything very stout as my normal DIN setting is 6 (the bindings Ive been on most lately are Marker TP2/10s). Ease of locating position and then set-up of the binding is paramount.
Thanks!
A Tyrolia or a Look would be my choice but that's only my favorite. I know you are capable but are you aware of the process used to mount the Hexcel skis? Reaming out the honeycomb injecting slow drying epoxy into the binding holes mounting the binding and hanging them upside down for 24 hours so an epoxy type nut is formed inside the ski.

TS
johnnyvw

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
Yeah, not a problem,I'm aware of the process. At one point in time I worked in a small ski shop, was actually certifed on Spademan bindings. Being techincally oriented, I always paid attention to how things were supposed to be done. My Hexcels had Look N57s, with the brake under the toe...what a PIA those were lol... they would start sliding before your boot heel was locked in place. I actually just the other day threw out the little pieces that you needed to mount onto the top of the heel of the boot...figured I wasn't going to need them :huh:

Mostly looking for info on the easiest bindings to mount. If they're all pretty equal, I might look into the Markers like I already have.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Yeah, not a problem,I'm aware of the process. At one point in time I worked in a small ski shop, was actually certifed on Spademan bindings. Being techincally oriented, I always paid attention to how things were supposed to be done. My Hexcels had Look N57s, with the brake under the toe...what a PIA those were lol... they would start sliding before your boot heel was locked in place. I actually just the other day threw out the little pieces that you needed to mount onto the top of the heel of the boot...figured I wasn't going to need them :huh:

Mostly looking for info on the easiest bindings to mount. If they're all pretty equal, I might look into the Markers like I already have.
The easiest ones to mount are the ones that have exposed screws, not hidden ones like Attack toes, Strive toes, Marker X-Cell or Royals toes.

TS
johnnyvw

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
These look like they might be a good choice:

They look to have accessible screws for easy mounting, 78mm width brake. 2024 model year. GW compatability in case I have that on my next boots. My regular skis only have a range of 10 and they are set at 6, and if anything I'll be skiing WAY easier on these old things.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Last time I took BOTH kids to Appalachian I brought a pir of The Ski TRS and some Olin Mark IV Comps. It was fun to go retro on the late spring day. I might meet you on some Split Tails there :) We could tell the cool kids we're from the Hexcel factory team testing new technology prototypes.. Skis are going back to straight hahaha!

Last edited:

skipress

Getting off the lift
Skier
Thanks!
Is this the famous double edged Blue Ice ski, if so love to see a pic of the edge setup

TS
johnnyvw

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
Sorry, no it's not. It was probably the easiest skiing model in the line-up that year. Not very good on icey condtions, but very good in soft spring conditions

wnyskier

Out on the slopes
Skier

Look Konnect SPX. Still has the N57 heritage, easy to mount and easy to adjust and/or move the mount point. Only downside is the higher stack height. Another option is the Look Metrix SPX, lower stack, mount point can be adjusted, but a bit more fiddly.

Sponsor

Staff online