• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ex-Slalom Racer Dad deciding on Fischer Curv DTX

OldRacerDad

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Hi all, been searching through old threads on the Fischer Curv DTX for opinions. My situation is I'm an old racer (46 now) (favored SL) who now skis frontside with my younger kids in the Midwest. I feel like I'm a very competent skier and still ski hard, short, fast-ish turns. Currently skiing on ~15 year old RC SL WCs in 163cm that still feel fine, but got fitted with new boots and so need GW compatible bindings now.

Is the DTX still a great choice and if so sizing? I'm 5'4" 175lbs. I'm feeling like 157cm...... thoughts or updated recommendations on skis? Much appreciated,

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
but got fitted with new boots and so need GW compatible bindings now.
First of all, all Gripwalk boots are backwards compatible and ca be swapped to a traditional ISO 5355 DIN sole. But that being that, a 15 old ski is still tired. As far as the DTX, it is a great value if a ski, but I would step up to the next size.

Lastly, 46 is far from old.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hi all, been searching through old threads on the Fischer Curv DTX for opinions. My situation is I'm an old racer (46 now) (favored SL) who now skis frontside with my younger kids in the Midwest. I feel like I'm a very competent skier and still ski hard, short, fast-ish turns. Currently skiing on ~15 year old RC SL WCs in 163cm that still feel fine, but got fitted with new boots and so need GW compatible bindings now.

Is the DTX still a great choice and if so sizing? I'm 5'4" 175lbs. I'm feeling like 157cm...... thoughts or updated recommendations on skis? Much appreciated,
I'm an ex racer dude ( older than you :ogbiggrin: ) I've owned and skied many FIS GS and SL skis. I no longer race. I loved the Fischer Curve DTX so much that I bought three pair. I ski them everywhere, from frontside ice carving short/Med/Longish for 16m turns, to moguls, steeps, chutes, everywhere except deep powder of course. I'm 5'11 175lbs and I ski the 171cm. I wish I had bought a 178 when they were available. Fischer still makes them, but they are no longer marketed in USA, they sell in Europe though. 157 may be too short for you??? When Fischer marketed that ski they stated to buy it for the radius turns you want to make-meaning each ski should support any skier weight? Don't really know how that worked out in practice since I only went with the 171cm skis. Just going by intuition I'd think the 157 would be too short for you. I'd go with 164 or 171 personally.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@ScottB , a race coach, is also on the Fischer Curv DTX. He might have some insights.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)

Answer me these questions three:
How much do you weigh?
How hard is your snow?
What! is your favorite colour - just joking; how much vertical on your usual ski hill?

TS
O

OldRacerDad

Skier
Thanks guys, I like what I’m hearing and the feedback on length is exactly what I needed. 164cm may be a little more versatile.

Questions three: 175lbs, Mostly skiing Minnesota groomed ice (more snow this year though), and we’re talking like 400’ vert here, so barely long enough to get to winded even if you put 110% in.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
175 lbs, ex-racer, groomed ice, 400 ft vertical, get these:
Or put on 5 lbs (hit the weights), man up and get these:
Go 165 cm in either case.
You will need precise boots, hope your new boots fit the bill.
@Philpug is your best bet for Gripwalk advice (I think Gripwalk is rubbish designed to make me buy new bindings - and I am not cooperating with the scam).

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I like my DTX skis, I have the 178cm. I use them as my race coaching ski. They are pretty light for a race ski. They carve really well, but can do longer turns depending on how you pressure them. They are lively, rather than damp and subdued. I agree going with the 164 or 171 length. For a short hill, they are a great match. The variable radius makes them work on a larger hill too.

TS
O

OldRacerDad

Skier
So I pulled the trigger and ordered the DTX in 164cm based on your concensus-- pretty excited to try them out! Thanks everyone for your insight and kind perspective on age..... it is after all a matter of perception. I'll let you know how they feel once I get them......

Sponsor

Staff online