• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

FORE! How is your golf game coming?

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We've been practicing at Sierra Sage which is about 15-20 minutes from us. They have a really nice chipping/sand practice area, natural grass driving range, and an actual practice hole (Par 3?)

I have plenty of good features to work on several aspects, which I've taken advantage of with my wedges, and a few irons.
I have yet to hit my woods or driver.
Before I do actually golf, I'd like to get some time in at the range with my woods and driver to get a sense of what I can do with them.
Phil suggested that I sign up for the league this week on Thursday night but I have a lesson that morning and we leave on Friday for OR in Utah.
That's a lot to squeeze in on the heels of a work trip.

Image 6-9-23 at 12.32 PM.jpg

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Finding the groove again. Finally signed up for a GHIN and inputted the first half dozen rounds of the year.

The timing is coming back. But turns out my body is capable in different ways than it was at 14 when I developed my swing. Need to tighten somethings up--notably shortening the backswing a bit to improve consistency. And find a range that will get off damn mats which drive me batty when hitting irons.

New woods came in post-fitting. New swing weight will take a few rounds to get used to, but excited to have them in my bag.

signal-2023-06-07-155519.jpeg

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Finding the groove again. Finally signed up for a GHIN and inputted the first half dozen rounds of the year.

The timing is coming back. But turns out my body is capable in different ways than it was at 14 when I developed my swing. Need to tighten somethings up--notably shortening the backswing a bit to improve consistency. And find a range that will get off damn mats which drive me batty when hitting irons.

View attachment 205346

New woods came in post-fitting. New swing weight will take a few rounds to get used to, but excited to have them in my bag.

View attachment 205349
This is very cool.
My lessons are at a course that has mats. Where I practice is natural grass. I really prefer the grass. After all, its how we'll be playing, right?

chip inderhol

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Had just the one lesson (last Thurs 8 days ago) and saw big improvement. Played a short course Wed and saw big improvement driving irons, but not near as perfected. Getting the ball up better, better line, but not relaxed nor swinging freely enough. [Sounds like my tennis during practice vs actual matches, eh. :-].

Besides the driving iron improvement, putting and short game have improved a lot. Now 2 putting or better. Also, saw a pitching video that changed my game.

Looking forward to another group lesson (on course this time) on Monday to see if the instructor can see what I'm doing differently from range vs play.

I've hope to break bogey on my little short course.
Yeah okay that is a lot of stuff. My eyes started to glaze over with all of his stuff. Stand closer? Without gripping down? Change your grip to promote an open club face? The 3 primary principles are grip stance and alignment. He wants you to change 2 of them. I don’t know. Dave Pelz has a book called the short game bible. It explains short game philosophy much better and explains it more simply. But my first rule is short backswing with a full follow through. Then go make a putt. Games hard enough, don’t overthink it.

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah okay that is a lot of stuff. My eyes started to glaze over with all of his stuff. Stand closer? Without gripping down? Change your grip to promote an open club face? The 3 primary principles are grip stance and alignment. He wants you to change 2 of them. I don’t know. Dave Pelz has a book called the short game bible. It explains short game philosophy much better and explains it more simply. But my first rule is short backswing with a full follow through. Then go make a putt. Games hard enough, don’t overthink it.
Maybe my simple head needed more details.... I like the 30, 50, 80 yard stroke mechanics described. I was able to reproduce fairly accurately at the driving range and on the short course the next day after watching the previous night.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

chip inderhol

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Plai, if it works for you by all means keep doing it. My point was it just seemed like a convoluted way of describing the clock method. But I’m a feel player and a bit of a simpleton.

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
There's a par 3 at Wildcreek. Is that executive?

In Sparks.
Looks like 2 courses at Wildcreek, a par 27 9 hole (executive), and a par 24 6 hole (3, 5, 4x 4).
The executive looks like mostly water hazards, so maybe the 6 hole course would be friendlier.
Edit: only #8 and #9 have water in play (need to carry).

Last edited:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
There's a par 3 at Wildcreek. Is that executive?

In Sparks.
Looks like 2 courses at Wildcreek, a par 27 9 hole (executive), and a par 24 6 hole (3, 5, 4x 4).
The executive looks like mostly water hazards, so maybe the 6 hole course would be friendlier.
Edit: only #8 and #9 have water in play (need to carry).
In my limited experience (in DC and Pittsburgh areas that I'm familiar with anyway) a "par-3 course" is not the same as an executive course. The executive courses I know of have a lot more length, including a few par 4's, and typically look like a full course in terms of features (water, cart paths, sand traps, etc.). I've played one a few times that's par 62 (8 par 4's, 10 par 3's).

The par-3 courses are sometimes geared at folks that don't play regularly with some very short holes, no riding carts, and limited other features. One I played many years ago a few times even had driving range mats for tee boxes. There are some that do lean more to being an executive course, but I've personally never seen an executive course that's all par-3s.

Looks like that's what Wildcreek is though. It calls itself an executive course. but it is all par-3s.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
In my limited experience (in DC and Pittsburgh areas that I'm familiar with anyway) a "par-3 course" is not the same as an executive course. The executive courses I know of have a lot more length, including a few par 4's, and typically look like a full course in terms of features (water, cart paths, sand traps, etc.). I've played one a few times that's par 62 (8 par 4's, 10 par 3's).

The par-3 courses are sometimes geared at folks that don't play regularly with some very short holes, no riding carts, and limited other features. One I played many years ago a few times even had driving range mats for tee boxes. There are some that do lean more to being an executive course, but I've personally never seen an executive course that's all par-3s.

Looks like that's what Wildcreek is though. It calls itself an executive course. but it is all par-3s.
Wildcreek gets a lot of traffic but with all the rain, this might be the year to give it a try. Maybe head out for a 6. Somersett has a really nice little par 3 9 but it is private and have to live in Somersett to access it.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I thought I'd heard of Wildcreek before. Turns out it's the course on McCarren that we drive past when headed to Pyramid Hwy.

Its been in the news a fair bit because some of the course was taken to expand the new Hug school.

It also looks like there are some good things planned for the facilities.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Congrats Canada with the sudden death walk off eagle. :micdrop:

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Ironically, the objective with golf is to play as little of it as possible.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January