• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

James

Out There
Instructor
I thought it was going to be the band Foreigner...
But good to know it's not just Americans who are rude and clueless.

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I thought it was going to be the band Foreigner...
But good to know it's not just Americans who are rude and clueless.

For some value of "good"!

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
"Furano Poles only just miss becoming Death Valley Germans"

for those who don't know the reference, here ya go (it is strongly recommended you follow along on Google Maps).

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
Backcountry since they wandered outside of the resort?

“Finally, roughly two and a half hours later, five members of the group were spotted inside a store attached to one of the resort’s hotels, at the bottom of the ski courses. When the authorities asked the Polish man they’d spoken to why he kept hanging up on them, he nonchalantly replied “I told the police we could make it back on our own. It was a pain to have to answer the phone.””

Amazing they authorities bothered to track them down at the hotel

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Amazing they authorities bothered to track them down at the hotel

TBH, that' exactly what I would have expected of a diligent police force in an environment where people can actually get lost enough to be in danger. To me it's more frightening how ignorant some Euros can be of what a wilderness actually is - and what proper care would consist of. Taking a lost Euro's "oh, we can find our way back" word for it without checking afterwards? That would be dangerously negligent.

Last edited:

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
TBH, that' exactly what I would have expected of a diligent police force in an environment where people can actually get lost enough to be in danger. To me it's more frightening how ignorant some Euros can be of what a wilderness actually is - and what proper care would consist of. Taking a lost Euro's "oh, we can find our way back" word for it without checking afterwards? That would be dangerously negligent.
I tell people, you CANNOT get lost in Europe. Walk 20 mins in any direction and you'll hit a road or house. Walk 20 mins in any direction north of Sudbury and they'll find you 10 springs later... :roflmao:

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Wow.... thanks for posting this @Monique. Sad they felt it ok to waste the time of the rescue party and needlessly endanger their lives, by not having the sense and courtesy of answering their phonecalls. Frustrating.....

I guess it's one of the many situations where most people (I tend to think) do the right thing, but a very few bad apples make it suck for the rest of us.

The one positive is that it's still news. As they say, "Dog bites man" isn't a news story - "Man bites dog" is. If it weren't unusual, it wouldn't make the news.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
I tell people, you CANNOT get lost in Europe. Walk 20 mins in any direction and you'll hit a road or house. Walk 20 mins in any direction north of Sudbury and they'll find you 10 springs later... :roflmao:
It's not exactly like that, but close :) For winter it gets a bit worse, and in mountains it's a bit worse then this in general, as you can easily get to place, when there's simply no way forward, unless you are base jumper or have rope and other equipment long enough to rappel down the wall, but overall, you are quite right :) In pretty big (for our standards not for yours :P ) forest behind my house, it takes maybe 2h run to get out, unless you start going in circles, but with today's equipment that's quite hard to do. You might not come to right place, and you might end up on exactly opposite side, but you are in some village, and maybe 30 or 40km on road from your start point, but it's really impossible to get lost and die. Well... some still manage to do that, but I have no idea how they manage to do something like that :)

Sponsor

Staff online