• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Gear Good first BC ski? - Atomic Vantage 97c

chopchop

so many skis, so little time
Skier
Like so many, I'll be dipping my toe into the backcountry for the first time this season. I'm pretty geared up except for a daily driver ski for <6" of fresh. Looking for something 88-100mm, 179-185cm, and under 1800g per ski. Not planning on long tours so don't need the lightest or fanciest construction. Targeting lightly used and under $250.

I found a used Atomic Vantage 97 C (180cm/1750g per ski) in good shape for a good price (have not yet bought, though) and would love folks' thoughts on how well this would fit my scenario for one "learning" season in the BC. Thanks.

Skiing notes:
- nothing crazy: no cliffs, tight couloirs
- Washington state (east)/Idaho
- have other skis for deeper days
- envisioning AT to be as much about good exercise and just being outside as about the down - won't be a race

PS. If you are trying to unload a ski that fits the criteria above let me know.

sparty

Out on the slopes
Skier
I haven't skied them, but one of the guys I coach with has a pair of Vantages (and I'm about 85% sure the 97Cs). His take on it is that they're a really good firm-snow all-mountain ski and they can be a lot of fun in softer stuff, too, but they're a lot more work to drive than the Bent Chet 100s are. For not-so-deep touring use, I think they'd work, but they wouldn't be ideal—the kind of conditions where the higher-effort ski really pays off are probably also conditions in which skinning is somewhere between frustrating and terrifying.

I would like a pair in my quiver to have an option bigger than 80mm for less-deep days, but I don't know that I'd be particularly inclined to pick them as a touring ski. YMMV, of course; if the price is right and you think they'll ski well on the snow you expect to encounter, that's what matters. Between fitness level and looking for better snow while touring, though, I just don't see a higher-effort ski being an ideal choice.

TS
chopchop

chopchop

Skier
I haven't skied them, but one of the guys I coach with has a pair of Vantages (and I'm about 85% sure the 97Cs). His take on it is that they're a really good firm-snow all-mountain ski and they can be a lot of fun in softer stuff, too, but they're a lot more work to drive than the Bent Chet 100s are. For not-so-deep touring use, I think they'd work, but they wouldn't be ideal—the kind of conditions where the higher-effort ski really pays off are probably also conditions in which skinning is somewhere between frustrating and terrifying.

I would like a pair in my quiver to have an option bigger than 80mm for less-deep days, but I don't know that I'd be particularly inclined to pick them as a touring ski. YMMV, of course; if the price is right and you think they'll ski well on the snow you expect to encounter, that's what matters. Between fitness level and looking for better snow while touring, though, I just don't see a higher-effort ski being an ideal choice.

Something to think about. Thanks.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
What @sparty said.

I would think, everthing you are saying points to <95mm wide and under 1500g.
You said you have wider touring skis right? So going narrower would save weight, skin easier on hard snow, have lighter and smaller skins etc.

Certainly not to an inbounds, 97mm ski.

Most of these would be a bit shorter than the lengths you mention, unless you are very tall and heavy? In that case, might have to specifically search out models that come in bigger lengths. I always figure, you shop for a relative size. Ie, you typically take the second longest ski in the range. In a big mountain ski that will be much longer than in a piste-carver or lightweight backcountry touring ski.

Plenty of narrow, lightweight touring skis to be found cheaply as well. Might have to try some different searches.

K2 Wayback would be my first thought. They always receive high scores for easy to ski, versatile and predictable, all great qualities in a backcountry ski. Also light enough for resort skinning.

Wayback 88 and 96

Fischer Hannibal 96 (my wife and daughter share this ski)

Salomon Mtn Explore 95

All these skis have been out for a while, so used and closeouts must exist.

Voile and Hagan are other brands that are reasonable priced at MSRP.

Plenty of others as well, these are just some that come to mind quickly.

You might want to go narrower than these, I just don’t know the models very well.

I see Dynafit Speedfit 84 and Black Crows Ova Freebird for $299, new.

Here is a bunch of demo skis, typically with bindings, often with skins included.

Last edited:

Mike Rogers

Out on the slopes
Skier
Have you looked into the head kore 93? I don't know if you can find good deals on them, but I find them very attractive for a lightweight resort ski in the mid 90s. I am going to look at adding these after some closeout sales this spring.

I haven't skid on the vantage 97c, but I have been on the ti. I found them to be surprisingly fun on groomers, but a bit challenging on variable snow. The C is probably easier going than the ti, but this model would not be my fist choice for a backcountry ski.

TS
chopchop

chopchop

Skier
What @sparty said.

I would think, everthing you are saying points to <95mm wide and under 1500g.
You said you have wider touring skis right? So going narrower would save weight, skin easier on hard snow, have lighter and smaller skins etc.

Certainly not to an inbounds, 97mm ski.

Most of these would be a bit shorter than the lengths you mention, unless you are very tall and heavy? In that case, might have to specifically search out models that come in bigger lengths. I always figure, you shop for a relative size. Ie, you typically take the second longest ski in the range. In a big mountain ski that will be much longer than in a piste-carver or lightweight backcountry touring ski.

Plenty of narrow, lightweight touring skis to be found cheaply as well. Might have to try some different searches.

K2 Wayback would be my first thought. They always receive high scores for easy to ski, versatile and predictable, all great qualities in a backcountry ski. Also light enough for resort skinning.

Wayback 88 and 96

Fischer Hannibal 96 (my wife and daughter share this ski)

Salomon Mtn Explore 95

All these skis have been out for a while, so used and closeouts must exist.

Voile and Hagan are other brands that are reasonable priced at MSRP.

Plenty of others as well, these are just some that come to mind quickly.

You might want to go narrower than these, I just don’t know the models very well.

I see Dynafit Speedfit 84 and Black Crows Ova Freebird for $299, new.

Here is a bunch of demo skis, typically with bindings, often with skins included.

These are all great points, @Slim. Almost bought a Voile V8 for $200 this summer, but at 188 I thought it was too long. Did buy an Wailer Alchemist 112 178cm for cheap for a deeper day BC tree ski. At this stage I'm not obsessed with grams nor feeling the need to spend extra on a purpose-built ski. Mostly just wondering about the Vantage 97 to fill that quiver slot as it could be had for a song.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
These are all great points, @Slim. Almost bought a Voile V8 for $200 this summer, but at 188 I thought it was too long. Did buy an Wailer Alchemist 112 178cm for cheap for a deeper day BC tree ski. At this stage I'm not obsessed with grams nor feeling the need to spend extra on a purpose-built ski. Mostly just wondering about the Vantage 97 to fill that quiver slot as it could be had for a song.

At that price it is worth a try for sure.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@chopchop , that makes sense.
It’s just that I didn’t think you needed to spend extra for a purpose built touring ski vs a lightweight inbounds ski, especially one, that peoples thoughts seem to trend towards not being great for the variable snow you’d find in the backcountry.

I also think that 500-600g per foot, is way more than “being obsesed with grams”.

Buying a true backcountry ski (~1100-1500g) in that size would make much more sense:

scenario 1: you find you don’t like backcountry skiing as much as you thought.
In that case, it’s a lot easier to sell the package of skis-skins-bindings, to someone who wants a touring set up, versus trying to sell an inbounds ski with touring bindings, or parting it out.

Scenario 2 you do end up really liking backcountry skiing.
it would be much cheaper in the end if you got a decent, purpose built ski now, even if it costs $100 or $200 more now.

Scenario 2 is also more likely to occur if you get something lightweight ;)

I am not saying you need to pay full retail for a pair of $1000 Volkl touring skis, but I am saying, wait for a pair of true touring skis, at a decent price that is acceptable to you. Used would be a great way to go, but limited supply this year I bet.

For example:
I got my wife’s Hannibals for $300 new. I saw other brand new skis for that price.

Last edited:

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Wait, I guess you never mentioned the price of the Vantage C’s. I was thinking $250, but maybe it was way less.
How much was it, @chopchop ?

Last edited:
TS
chopchop

chopchop

Skier
Wait, I guess you never mentioned the price of the Vantage C’s. I was thinking $250, but maybe it was way less.
Yeah, I could probably have them for $170ish. Overspent on other parts of my quiver so trying to go lean on this one (at least for this rookie year).

I appreciate your perspectives and reasoning above, though. Have not ruled out a "real" purchase.

Last edited:

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Yeah, I could probably have them for $170ish. Overspent on other parts of my quiver so trying to go lean on this one (at least for this rookie year).

I appreciate your perspectives and reasoning above, though. Have not ruled out a "real" purchase.

TPIR41door1.gif

TS
chopchop

chopchop

Skier

I miss Bob Barker and that ridiculous microphone.

Grabbed 'em for $155. One mount. Pristine bases.

@Slim - With some luck I will fall in love with AT and can invest next season in a proper pair of BC skis. Intrigued by reverse camber (4Frnt Raven, Wndr, etc.). This season is all about experimentation at lower cost.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@chopchop , yeah $150 seems like a good price. I was thinking $250.
I should have asked about the price right away. Assumpions and all they do right?

TS
chopchop

chopchop

Skier

So, taking your comments seriously, I looked around a bit for similar comments about this ski. I didn't find any, though the Blister review on the 97 ti makes these same points. So I'm hoping your friend is/was on a ti. Regardless, I grabbed 'em so I'll find out in a few months :)

sparty

Out on the slopes
Skier
So, taking your comments seriously, I looked around a bit for similar comments about this ski. I didn't find any, though the Blister review on the 97 ti makes these same points. So I'm hoping your friend is/was on a ti. Regardless, I grabbed 'em so I'll find out in a few months :)

Ah, crap, you may be right. I make no claims to being able to keep the Vantage line straight, as there seems to be a lot of overlap in it.

Sponsor

Staff online