• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Happy New Year--Help on Stockli AX sizing--thank you.

DavidA

Booting up
Skier
Hello all;

I am hoping that you might share your opinions on Stockily AX sizing. I am 5' 8' & 162 pounds; technically I'm a very proficient skier--I'm not usually out of position; but I'm also not likely the fastest skier on the hill either, (I'm 59--no excuses--but I just don't ski nearly as fast as my twenty something kids any more--not even close) I was thinking the 167 could work--based on everything I've read here--this ski is stable...and fast. I'll use this ski solely when the mountain is groomed out or when I am skiing back east; my thinking is that this is a ski that you can go shorter with and get the benefit of fast trans in tight spaces/moguls, without giving up much stability. I'd really appreciate your input...S. Brown--I know you've skied this ski in a longer length---love to hear your thought? Happy New Years! David

cosmoliu

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'm 5'8" but lighter at 140#. 167 is perfect for me, but I'm more likely to be searching for bumps than to be found on groomers. Which is not to say I don't like morning corduroy as much as the next guy. It's just that I find that my mind wanders after about a half dozen groomer runs. Unless I'm chasing after @Lorenzzo. (And since he's on the 174s, he might care to weigh in here) If are interested in bombing groomers at Mach 1, you MIGHT want the 174s. But, from what you posted above, I suspect that 167 is your length.

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
5'6" and 165# here. Went with 167 also. I'm looking for moguls and a groomer zoomer. Haven't been on them yet. Tomorrow should be my first voyage on them. Looking forward to the new year.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm 6'1" 185 and happy on the 175 prior generation AX. I think I might have been happy on the 167 but wanted a little more crud/powder stability.

Bobalooski

Getting off the lift
Inactive
5'8" on a good day with thick socks on and 155. Own a 167 and love it! Great ski for ungroomed too!

flbufl

Getting on the lift
Skier
I’m also the same height, 5’8. I Demoed 167 AX. I think both 167 and 175 are the correct sizes for you. Just choose one based on your preference, style and taste. But DO remember the recommended mid point of AX is a bit strange. Quite a few people found it is too far back.

Hello all;

I am hoping that you might share your opinions on Stockily AX sizing. I am 5' 8' & 162 pounds; technically I'm a very proficient skier--I'm not usually out of position; but I'm also not likely the fastest skier on the hill either, (I'm 59--no excuses--but I just don't ski nearly as fast as my twenty something kids any more--not even close) I was thinking the 167 could work--based on everything I've read here--this ski is stable...and fast. I'll use this ski solely when the mountain is groomed out or when I am skiing back east; my thinking is that this is a ski that you can go shorter with and get the benefit of fast trans in tight spaces/moguls, without giving up much stability. I'd really appreciate your input...S. Brown--I know you've skied this ski in a longer length---love to hear your thought? Happy New Years! David

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I took one run on cosmoliu's 167 pair. They are short for me, since I am 5'10'', 200#. I would get the next length up for me, but his were plenty stable. On the other hand, that one run was a bump run, so I can't comment on groomer behavior.

Net guess, the 167 is what you want but the next up would work too.

TahoeCharlie

...Major Tom...
Skier
I'm 5' 9" 165 and went with the 175's as I like to zoom on groomers so wanted a little extra stability. Hated the stock mounting position and bindings I initially got with the skis. So after putting 20 days on the skis last spring at Squaw, I got a pair of last years Attack 13 DEMO's and had them mounted 1 inch forward - tremendous improvement (for me). 14 days this season and couldn't be happier; although I am still playing with the forward position a little as the Attack 13's are so easy to adjust.

Since you state you are not a "fast" skier, I would think the 167's would be great for what you want. BTW they have been awesome in the firm and less than stellar conditions we have had here at Tahoe so far.

Last edited:

doc

Out on the slopes
Skier
5'10, 150 lbs, and a bit older than the OP. Skied my 175s on a surprise powder'ish (we're lowering our standards, I think) day yesterday at WPMJ. I thought they were plenty quick in the soft bumps (even for this crappy driver), and a dream on the hard packed groomers. OP might think about the 175s for more versatility.

Sponsor

Staff online