• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Heated boots anyone?

zz28zz

Putting on skis
Skier
This seems like a great idea.
Anyone have these? If so:
1. How well do they work?
2. How long do the batts they last per charge?
3. Do they retain heat like a non-heated boot when batts die?
4. How old is the technology and has it matured?
5. Is the heating element repairable by end user?

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I’ve had boot heaters in my boots for at least 10 years. They definitely help take the edge off But they don’t make them toasty warm. Battery charge depends on brand and what level you have them on. My heaters have always been in standard boots so no different than standard boots when not off. No idea on repairability.

Jeffc7

Booting up
Skier
I have therm-ic boot heaters. They work great, stay warm all day. Don’t know why I waited so long to get some since my whole family had them for years. Not sure if it was a macho thing, but warm feet are better than cold ego.

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Over 20 years with boot heat. Like the idea of heated liners. Buy a pair and let us know.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
A boot that fits your foot's anatomy, and that has a flex that your body relates to how you ski, is required if you want good control over your skis. The person choosing that boot for your feet should be a seasoned bootfitter who wants to serve you well. Keeping your feet warm should not be a factor in choosing a boot since there are several good after-market ways to get heat inside any boot.

In that link, K-2 says about this boot:

a mid-flexing (100) high volume boot
All Mountain, Comfort, Heated
Walk Mode
BOOT WIDTH: 103mm"

@zz28zz, are your feet shaped so that you need a wide, high volume boot? A bootfitter will measure your feet to find out. Are you sure you want 100 flex in your boots, given how you ski? This is a choice people here can help you make.

Will you be choosing a boot manufactured for "comfort" in the fit rather than performance? Many people do. Many on this forum don't.

If you choose performance rather than comfort, you'll need a snug-fitting boot whose shell matches your foot's anatomy. Adjustments to the shell (no charge for most) can be made to keep your feet both comfortable in that boot. Electric boot heaters can be added to the footbed (extra charge). The bootfitter will do the adjustments in the shell for weirdnesses in the shape of your foot, and will help you choose what aftermarket heaters will work best to keep your feet warm.

Recreational skiers who choose with "comfort" first in mind usually do not go through this process. They sometimes buy off the internet or in big box stores where shop employees are the only help, not bootfitters. The marketing stuff they have read is fresh in their heads, so they are making their choice based on the boot's characteristics described online or in ski magazines. They do not choose a boot because of the match between their foot's anatomy and the boot's shell shape.

All that said, your foot may be the perfect match for these heated boots.

Last edited:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
There are quite a few heated options now, many of the liners are from Therm-ic. The K2 BFC heat is one of those options ....for a high volume foot. K2 also offers a heated option in the Recon MV which is medium volume overlap. Nordica will be offering their new HF110 in an Elite model which has a heated liner and bluetooth capability, similar to their in sole option with features such as pulse and motion control.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I guess I’ll be waiting for K2 or any other brand of boot to offer a heated liner alone, without having to buy a boot shell. Or to have someone (Intuition) make an aftermarket heated liner, but it has to have at least the performance of their other products for me so be interested.

Until then, I’m happy with heated socks.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I guess I’ll be waiting for K2 or any other brand of boot to offer a heated liner alone, without having to buy a boot shell. Or to have someone (Intuition) make an aftermarket heated liner, but it has to have at least the performance of their other products for me so be interested.

Until then, I’m happy with heated socks.
Thermic does offer a heated liner... https://www.therm-ic.com/en/skiing/76-liner.html
liner.jpg

Large Squirrel

a.k.a. guitar73
Skier
I use the sidas pro set boot heaters and love them. batteries last more than a day on a full charge. i have had to replace the heating elements, but it's not hard to do (if you are handy) and the replacement heating elements are not expensive. i have poor circulation in my feet, so i have to use these even in spring skiing weather.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
@Phil, do you have any knowledge about how those Thermic liner batteries hold up, which parts of the liner are heated, and any thoughts about getting them to fit into different shells? I may be missing it, but it doesn't look like the liners come in different widths.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Phil, do you have any knowledge about how those Thermic liner batteries hold up, which parts of the liner are heated, and any thoughts about getting them to fit into different shells? I may be missing it, but it doesn't look like the liners come in different widths.
See @Large Squirrel's post above, I am guessing you two posted about the same time. As far as the width options, no, there are not, and looks like a 23.5 is the smallest offering. My guess is the liner a medium volume.

As far as what is heated, the toe area.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
So if this liner only has a heating element under the ball-of-foot/toe area, then it still has several advantages over after-market electric heaters. But I'd be disappointed if that's all it's got.

--no exposed wires to get bent or broken
--no exposed batteries to clip onto the boots and discover they've fallen off
--no need to connect the wires to the batteries, thus no vulnerabilities at that point

What about charging those batteries? Where's the charger that you'll need to buy separately?

Last edited:
TS
Z

zz28zz

Putting on skis
Skier
A boot that fits your foot's anatomy, and that has a flex that your body relates to how you ski, is required if you want good control over your skis. The person choosing that boot for your feet should be a seasoned bootfitter who wants to serve you well. Keeping your feet warm should not be a factor in choosing a boot since there are several good after-market ways to get heat inside any boot.

In that link, K-2 says about this boot:

a mid-flexing (100) high volume boot
All Mountain, Comfort, Heated
Walk Mode
BOOT WIDTH: 103mm"

@zz28zz, are your feet shaped so that you need a wide, high volume boot? A bootfitter will measure your feet to find out. Are you sure you want 100 flex in your boots, given how you ski? This is a choice people here can help you make.

Will you be choosing a boot manufactured for "comfort" in the fit rather than performance? Many people do. Many on this forum don't.

If you choose performance rather than comfort, you'll need a snug-fitting boot whose shell matches your foot's anatomy. Adjustments to the shell (no charge for most) can be made to keep your feet both comfortable in that boot. Electric boot heaters can be added to the footbed (extra charge). The bootfitter will do the adjustments in the shell for weirdnesses in the shape of your foot, and will help you choose what aftermarket heaters will work best to keep your feet warm.

Recreational skiers who choose with "comfort" first in mind usually do not go through this process. They sometimes buy off the internet or in big box stores where shop employees are the only help, not bootfitters. The marketing stuff they have read is fresh in their heads, so they are making their choice based on the boot's characteristics described online or in ski magazines. They do not choose a boot because of the match between their foot's anatomy and the boot's shell shape.

All that said, your foot may be the perfect match for these heated boots.

I was just using that link as an example of heated boots.

My feet are on the narrow side plus they're flat. Best case for the next 5-10 years, would be ~10 days/year so guess I fit into the recreational category. Comfortable, warm boots would be my first priority but I don't want to give up too much performance either. I may need an orthopedic insert or something similar for arch support. Kinda figured I'd need a boot-fitter no matter what boots I got.

Could have sworn I saw some heated boots online that stated the "heat zone" was all around the foot. Maybe I was dreaming. I'll look around some more and see if I can find that link again. Made a quick search last night but couldn't find it. I remember they were normally $700 but were on sale for $550 if that helps.

Seems like having everything integrated into the liner would be really handy and probably more reliable since there's no wires or external battery packs to deal with. May even keep the batteries warmer which should increase their run time. Only caveat I can think of would be repairing them if needed.

hbear

Out on the slopes
Skier
If the whole boot was heated, you'd need to be carrying around a car battery to power it. (perhaps not that big but the battery would be fairly substantial to last all day).

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My wife has the heated Salomons. 100 flex I think. Heat moldable liner and shell, which her bunions need.

You couldn't take them away from her without force. She says they are one of the absolute best gifts I've ever given her.

She's SO happy to be out of her high performance, tight fitting boot that she got talked into by a pro bootfitter........:popcorn:

TS
Z

zz28zz

Putting on skis
Skier
Finally found it:
"Warmth: Salomon's exclusive Custom Heat liner delivers consistent, even heat all around the foot for maximum warmth and comfort, up to 18 hours. "

^^^^^Suspect that's misinformation since I can't find that claim anywhere else.

Looks like charging is done via standard USB cable/wall wart.

In regards to the Therm-ic liners not be available in narrow widths; is that something a boot fitter could make work or are narrow feet people just out of luck? Are boots even available in narrow widths? I haven't seen any yet.

Sponsor